Advice On Hardware Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice On Hardware Choice

I have been using Homeseer since V1 and am currently using V2. My setup is Windows machine running XP and that needs to be replaced.

I currently have Main Lobby, DVD Lobby, Music Lobby, J River Media Center, Sony 777ES changers, X10, Z-wave, touch screens and voice control.

My goals are to add window blind control, internet control (not used in V2 - just using local touch screens) and to switch over to Z-wave instead of using X10. I now have a much smaller new house (1,200 square feet) so I can simply things quite a bit.

Of course the Homeseer sales rep said I need the HomeTroller S6 but I was not planning to spend $1,200 and replace all of my existing hardware too.

Have the HomeSeer controllers been reliable hardware? I have always seen refurbished units for sale. The main disadvantage I see is that if the unit breaks I cannot replace a part like on on custom built PC.

Would the Zee S2 work for what I described? I see quite a few posts about the S2 and Pi but they seem to be sub or testing systems.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated because I can't decide at this point without addition information.

I would also like to know if Main Lobby (DVD lobby, Music lobby) & J River Media Center will run on the S6 or are there alternatives?

I find myself using the Sony DVD changer & J River Media less frequently in favor of online streaming choices so it is not a deal breaker if they won't work.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, HomeSeer is sourcing a bunch of their current gen HomeTrollers from Gigabyte, including the NUC-like ones.

The Zee runs a flavor of Linux, and that's a big deal if you use plenty of 3rd party apps alongside HomeSeer. You'll have to find linux-compatible binaries of those other apps you use, or find a substitute... and the Zee is limited to running 5 plugins too (and not all 3rd party HS plugins are compatible with it).

If all you want is run HS3 and some music serving apps, just buy a mini desktop (asus vivopc, hp stream mini desktop, etc) which can be purchased for around $200 with windows preinstalled, strip the bloatware (if any) and install HS3 on it.

I don't know about z-wave blind control, but I use RollerTrol blind control (433mhz) because I already have RFXcom and a bunch of Oregon Scientific sensors. It has worked well for me so far.

Internet control: Access your server with DDNS + portforwarding or MyHS... and use one of these front ends as the interface: HSMetro, HSTouch, BLControl, or Tonlof's Tasker plugin (Android only, will support android watches soon).
      HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Thanks for the information LeoS. If I go with a mini PC my top choice so far is the Quantum Byte for $170. Quantum Suppliers will update the Bios before shipping so the unit will reboot on power restore automatically. The mini PC option rules out any swap-able components but the price is very reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
          Thanks for the information LeoS. If I go with a mini PC my top choice so far is the Quantum Byte for $170. Quantum Suppliers will update the Bios before shipping so the unit will reboot on power restore automatically. The mini PC option rules out any swap-able components but the price is very reasonable.
          That's cool. Another one of these mini-intel Pc that is flooding the market that might be cool to checkout is the Vensmile mini Pc, which comes with built-in internal battery (free UPS . They sell for $110ish for 32gb and $150ish for 64gb version.
          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

I looked into the vensmile and it looks great except for one problem users have reported; that it won't work properly without a monitor attached and turned on. Apparently the usb ports try to disconnect many times per minute without the active monitor signal. I plan to run my system headless (without a monitor) and make changes through my laptop.

Comment

I ended up going with the Quantum Byte for $170, it arrived last week and is all set up with HS3. The only PC problem so far is that I am unable to get HS3 to auto launch on startup after auto power up of PC and auto login.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
                I ended up going with the Quantum Byte for $170, it arrived last week and is all set up with HS3. The only PC problem so far is that I am unable to get HS3 to auto launch on startup after auto power up of PC and auto login.
                Good deal. Look into creating Scheduled Task (there are threads about it) to autostart your HS3.

Comment

I currently have Main Lobby, DVD Lobby, Music Lobby, J River Media Center, Sony 777ES changers, X10, Z-wave, touch screens and voice control.
                  Are you currently running all this on one PC in XP?

Many folks here have combined automation functions via virtual PC's on one box. Other's have separated a bit automation functions with smaller PC's.

Are you going to continue to utilize Main Lobby (here purchased it many many years ago), DVD Lobby, et al?
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                  HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
                  HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    Are you currently running all this on one PC in XP?

Many folks here have combined automation functions via virtual PC's on one box. Other's have separated a bit automation functions with smaller PC's.

Are you going to continue to utilize Main Lobby (here purchased it many many years ago), DVD Lobby, et al?
                    I was running all on one PC with HS1 and HS2 using XP Pro. So far I have not installed JRiver, USBUIRT, Main Lobby or DVD Lobby on the new Windows 8.1 machine, just the Homeseer stuff. I won't install the others unless needed but I think the machine can handle according to my research.

Comment

Curious what CPU / memory is your old PC?

Here one of the two old HS2 boxes is running on an Atom D525 with 4Gb of memory. It does OK with HS2 and runs 64bit of whatever. I have another D525 configured as a little mini server. (have two more like this running).
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                      HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
                      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Curious what CPU / memory is your old PC?

Here one of the two old HS2 boxes is running on an Atom D525 with 4Gb of memory. It does OK with HS2 and runs 64bit of whatever. I have another D525 configured as a little mini server. (have two more like this running).
                        Unfortunately I could not tell you the configuration of the old PC since I had a friend build it but I know he used the best gaming PC components available at the time (just after windows 7 was released I believe) so it had a lot of processing power. I was using older versions of Main Lobby and JRiver as well that I got when using HS1. That PC died about 2 months ago... I have always used MAC except for the Homeseer PC.

I don't plan on running cameras, I have a separate IP based NVR system for that.

Comment

Thank you PlanetView. I was just curious.

Yeah here sort of separated some stuff. Multiple NAS boxes, MythTV box (plus other media services), Zoneminder box et al. The Ubuntu Linux HS box now is also running a Windows Server VB for those things that I want that only run in Windows. It is configured now with 16Gb of RAM on an iSeries 3 Haswell CPU. It does fine also running W7 64 bit.

Other Homeseer users have gone to using multiple CPUs / much memory and VB's of whatever (Windows or Linux or both multiple VBs)

It really though depends on what it is you are doing with your Homeseer box automation work wise and stuff...

I have noticed some new Baytrails now are more expandable memory wise and allow for SATA ports (.m SATA cards which is better than running the OS off of an MMC SD card). IE: my PiPo X7 is tiny and I like that but I cannot really expand it much and the EFI BIOS is very customized for Windows.

IE: just mentioning more memory is good and using .m2 SATA is also very nice. (well also having a serial port and USB 3.0 is another nice thing).
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          HS4 Lite -

Comment

I looked at some Bare Bones boxes such as the BRIX that already have the processor and mother board, you just add your own RAM, OS and drive (solid state or mSATA). That would be a way to go if you want a small form factor and customization options.

Comment

Yes; and putting it in a sort of industrial looking case would look nicer and thinking you can purchase a celeron based one today (not in a cube) for less than $200 with more stuff.

Personally like the metal heatsink like shielding (great for a car pc) rather than that little plastic cube thing. That is me. You can stick it inside of a media can with your router / switch stuff. You really never have to look at it.
                              Attached Files
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                              X