Advice On Hardware Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Yes; and putting it in a sort of industrial looking case would look nicer and thinking you can purchase a celeron based one today (not in a cube) for less than $200 with more stuff.

Personally like the metal heatsink like shielding (great for a car pc) rather than that little plastic cube thing. That is me. You can stick it inside of a media can with your router / switch stuff. You really never have to look at it.
    Good options. The BRIX cubes are sort of expensive by the time you purchase all of the items needed.

Comment

Here's a real inexpensive option;
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/281470081765...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I took delivery yesterday of this refurbished Tangent with 4 GB RAM and 250 GB HD. It comes with Win 7 Pro. I upgraded to Win 10, which I really like, and installed HS3 Pro. This was running on my HomeTroller with HS2 and I wanted a separate device for HS3, as well as a back up, should my HomeTroller, which has been up about 5 years, goes down. The Tangent runs warm (so does the HomeTroller); it is not fan-less (but is quiet).

Elliott

Comment

Yup; the posted link is an Aopen Digital engine. (Intel core duo / HD audio)

Very robust and commercial style mini motherboard that is built to last a very long time.

I did purchase a few of these a couple (?) of years ago. I wrote about using them for XBMC boxes here on Homeseer.

The Kodi boxes and In wall touchscreen PCs have been on 24/7 now for a couple of years. Kodi boxes running Ubuntu and Touchscreen PCs now running embedded XPe. (originals came with this).

I am currently using one Aopen Digital Engine configured with Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit on my tinkering workbench.

The seller had worked for an advertisement company that went out of business. I made an offer everything he had so in bulk my purchase came out very reasonably priced.

You can also now purchase older generation iSeries refurbished PC's very reasonably priced.

The PipoX7 with the Atom Baytrail does OK running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 64 bit. Thing is; 2Gb of RAM is minimal for Windows or Ubuntu. Memory is soldered in. Updating the Baytrail RAM to 4 or 8 would be a major improvement.

I am seeing these with up gradable memory and SATA / SSD / MMC now in those nice little cases for less than $200 (found a few for around $120 the other day).

Looking see the bare bone dual core celerons for $99 with free shipping. I have attached a barebones celeron with VGA and serial ports and HDMI that I found priced bare bones at $128. Looking some more you may be able to find these for less with free shipping.

Company also sells same in little plastic cubes and nice KODI style (for a media shelf) PCs. The pictured one is labeled as a commercial style case.

Here is a breakdown of Intel CPU's.

1 64-bit Core microarchitecture-based

3.1 Core 2 Solo
        3.2 Core 2 Duo * Current Homeseer 2 box is running on a commercial BCM mITX motherboard with 4 Gb of RAM and Wintel Server. (same motherboard currently used for Zoneminder, MythTV and PFSense).
        3.3 Core 2 Quad
        3.4 Core 2 Extreme

2 Nehalem microarchitecture-based

4.1 Core i3
        4.2 Core i5
        4.3 Core i7

3 Sandy Bridge microarchitecture-based

5.1 Core i3
        5.2 Core i5
        5.3 Core i7

4 Ivy Bridge microarchitecture-based

6.1 Core i3
        6.2 Core i5
        6.3 Core i7

5 Haswell microarchitecture-based * Current Homeseer 3 box is using fastest iSeries 3 with 16Gb of memory running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. Second one built is running Windows 7 64bit with Homeseer 3.

7.1 Core i3
        7.2 Core i5
        7.3 Core i7

6 Broadwell microarchitecture-based

8.1 Core i3
        8.2 Core i5
        8.3 Core i7
        8.4 Core M

Here is the list of Intel Atom CPUs.

1 Nettop processors (small desktop)

1.1 Single-core Nettop processors
        1.1.1 "Diamondville" (45 nm)
        1.1.2 "Pineview" (45 nm)
        1.2 Dual-core Nettop processors
        1.2.1 "Diamondville" (45 nm)
        1.2.2 "Pineview" (45 nm) * current 2nd Homeseer 2 box is running on a Foxconn D525 with 4Gb. I also have two Shuttle netop's running just fine these days (repurposed).
        1.2.3 "Cedarview" (32 nm)

2 Netbook processors (sub-notebook)

2.1 Single-core Netbook processors
        2.1.1 "Diamondville" (45 nm)
        2.1.2 "Pineview" (45 nm)
        2.1.3 "Cedarview" (32 nm)
        2.2 Dual-core Netbook processors
        2.2.1 "Pineview" (45 nm)
        2.2.2 "Cedarview" (32 nm)

3 MID processors/SoCs (UMPC/Smartphone)

3.1 Single-core MID processors
        3.1.1 "Silverthorne" (45 nm)
        3.1.2 "Lincroft" (45 nm)
        3.2 Single-core MID SoCs
        3.2.1 "Penwell" (32 nm)
        3.3 Dual-core MID SoCs
        3.3.1 "Merrifield" (22 nm)
        3.4 Quad-core MID SoCs
        3.4.1 "Moorefield" (22 nm)
        3.4.2 "SoFIA 3G-R" (28 nm)

4 Tablet processors/SoCs

4.1 Single-core tablet processors
        4.1.1 "Lincroft" (45 nm)
        4.2 Dual-core tablet SoCs
        4.2.1 "Cloverview" (32 nm)
        4.2.2 "Bay Trail-T" (22 nm)
        4.3 Quad-core tablet SoCs
        4.3.1 "Bay Trail-T" (22 nm) * Current testing Pipo X7 motherboard / BIOS is for a tablet.
        4.3.2 "Cherry Trail-T" (14 nm)

5 Embedded processors/SoCs

5.1 Single-core embedded processors
        5.1.1 "Tunnel Creek" (45 nm)
        5.1.2 "Stellarton" (45 nm)
        5.2 Single-core embedded SoCs
        5.2.1 "Bay Trail-I" (22 nm)
        5.3 Dual-core embedded SoCs
        5.3.1 "Bay Trail-I" (22 nm)
        5.4 Quad-core embedded SoCs
        5.4.1 "Bay Trail-I" (22 nm)

6 Server SoCs

6.1 Dual-core server SoCs
        6.1.1 "Centerton" (32 nm)
        6.1.2 "Briarwood" (32 nm)
        6.1.3 "Avoton" (22 nm)
        6.1.4 "Rangeley" (22 nm)
        6.2 Quad-core server SoCs
        6.2.1 "Avoton" (22 nm)
        6.2.2 "Rangeley" (22 nm)
        6.3 Eight-core server SoCs
        6.3.1 "Avoton" (22 nm)
        6.3.2 "Rangeley" (22 nm)

7 CE SoCs

7.1 Single-core CE SoCs
        7.1.1 "Sodaville" (45 nm)
        7.1.2 "Groveland" (45 nm)
        7.2 Dual-Core CE SoCs
        7.2.1 "Berryville" (32 nm)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; September 26, 2015, 03:18 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post
          Here's a real inexpensive option;
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/281470081765...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I took delivery yesterday of this refurbished Tangent with 4 GB RAM and 250 GB HD. It comes with Win 7 Pro. I upgraded to Win 10, which I really like, and installed HS3 Pro. This was running on my HomeTroller with HS2 and I wanted a separate device for HS3, as well as a back up, should my HomeTroller, which has been up about 5 years, goes down. The Tangent runs warm (so does the HomeTroller); it is not fan-less (but is quiet).

Elliott
          I just ordered one of these too. Pulled the trigger since there was only a couple left. It has a serial port and decent specs to run homeseer. Thanks for the find, this is what I have been looking for the past couple weeks.

Comment

The CPU fan on the AOpen digital engine has multiple speeds. I had one that kept kicking up to high speeds (KODI box by a television). I removed the heat sink with the cooling fan and cleaned the heat sink and top of the CPU and reapplied CPU cooling silver thermal compound and it has been quiet since. I also used my air compressor to clean out the fan blades a bit while it was removed.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
            HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
            HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Yup; the posted link is an Aopen Digital engine. (Intel core duo / HD audio)

Very robust and commercial style mini motherboard that is built to last a very long time.

I did purchase a few of these a couple (?) of years ago. I wrote about using them for XBMC boxes here on Homeseer.

The Kodi boxes and In wall touchscreen PCs have been on 24/7 now for a couple of years. Kodi boxes running Ubuntu and Touchscreen PCs now running embedded XPe. (originals came with this).

I am currently using one Aopen Digital Engine configured with Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit on my tinkering workbench.

The seller had worked for an advertisement company that went out of business. I made an offer everything he had so in bulk my purchase came out very reasonably priced.

You can also now purchase older generation iSeries refurbished PC's very reasonably priced.

The PipoX7 with the Atom Baytrail does OK running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 64 bit. Thing is; 2Gb of RAM is minimal for Windows or Ubuntu. Memory is soldered in. Updating the Baytrail RAM to 4 or 8 would be a major improvement.

I am seeing these with up gradable memory and SATA / SSD / MMC now in those nice little cases for less than $200 (found a few for around $120 the other day).

Looking see the bare bone dual core celerons for $99 with free shipping. I have attached a barebones celeron with VGA and serial ports and HDMI that I found priced bare bones at $128. Looking some more you may be able to find these for less with free shipping.

Company also sells same in little plastic cubes and nice KODI style (for a media shelf) PCs. The pictured one is labeled as a commercial style case.

Here is a breakdown of Intel CPU's.

1 64-bit Core microarchitecture-based

3.1 Core 2 Solo
              3.2 Core 2 Duo * Current Homeseer 2 box is running on a commercial BCM mITX motherboard with 4 Gb of RAM and Wintel Server. (same motherboard currently used for Zoneminder, MythTV and PFSense).
              3.3 Core 2 Quad
              3.4 Core 2 Extreme

2 Nehalem microarchitecture-based

4.1 Core i3
              4.2 Core i5
              4.3 Core i7

3 Sandy Bridge microarchitecture-based

5.1 Core i3
              5.2 Core i5
              5.3 Core i7

4 Ivy Bridge microarchitecture-based

6.1 Core i3
              6.2 Core i5
              6.3 Core i7

5 Haswell microarchitecture-based * Current Homeseer 3 box is using fastest iSeries 3 with 16Gb of memory running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. Second one built is running Windows 7 64bit with Homeseer 3.

7.1 Core i3
              7.2 Core i5
              7.3 Core i7

6 Broadwell microarchitecture-based

8.1 Core i3
              8.2 Core i5
              8.3 Core i7
              8.4 Core M

Here is the list of Intel Atom CPUs.

1 Nettop processors (small desktop)

1.1 Single-core Nettop processors
              1.1.1 "Diamondville" (45 nm)
              1.1.2 "Pineview" (45 nm)
              1.2 Dual-core Nettop processors
              1.2.1 "Diamondville" (45 nm)
              1.2.2 "Pineview" (45 nm) * current 2nd Homeseer 2 box is running on a Foxconn D525 with 4Gb. I also have two Shuttle netop's running just fine these days (repurposed).
              1.2.3 "Cedarview" (32 nm)

2 Netbook processors (sub-notebook)

2.1 Single-core Netbook processors
              2.1.1 "Diamondville" (45 nm)
              2.1.2 "Pineview" (45 nm)
              2.1.3 "Cedarview" (32 nm)
              2.2 Dual-core Netbook processors
              2.2.1 "Pineview" (45 nm)
              2.2.2 "Cedarview" (32 nm)

3 MID processors/SoCs (UMPC/Smartphone)

3.1 Single-core MID processors
              3.1.1 "Silverthorne" (45 nm)
              3.1.2 "Lincroft" (45 nm)
              3.2 Single-core MID SoCs
              3.2.1 "Penwell" (32 nm)
              3.3 Dual-core MID SoCs
              3.3.1 "Merrifield" (22 nm)
              3.4 Quad-core MID SoCs
              3.4.1 "Moorefield" (22 nm)
              3.4.2 "SoFIA 3G-R" (28 nm)

4 Tablet processors/SoCs

4.1 Single-core tablet processors
              4.1.1 "Lincroft" (45 nm)
              4.2 Dual-core tablet SoCs
              4.2.1 "Cloverview" (32 nm)
              4.2.2 "Bay Trail-T" (22 nm)
              4.3 Quad-core tablet SoCs
              4.3.1 "Bay Trail-T" (22 nm) * Current testing Pipo X7 motherboard / BIOS is for a tablet.
              4.3.2 "Cherry Trail-T" (14 nm)

5 Embedded processors/SoCs

5.1 Single-core embedded processors
              5.1.1 "Tunnel Creek" (45 nm)
              5.1.2 "Stellarton" (45 nm)
              5.2 Single-core embedded SoCs
              5.2.1 "Bay Trail-I" (22 nm)
              5.3 Dual-core embedded SoCs
              5.3.1 "Bay Trail-I" (22 nm)
              5.4 Quad-core embedded SoCs
              5.4.1 "Bay Trail-I" (22 nm)

6 Server SoCs

6.1 Dual-core server SoCs
              6.1.1 "Centerton" (32 nm)
              6.1.2 "Briarwood" (32 nm)
              6.1.3 "Avoton" (22 nm)
              6.1.4 "Rangeley" (22 nm)
              6.2 Quad-core server SoCs
              6.2.1 "Avoton" (22 nm)
              6.2.2 "Rangeley" (22 nm)
              6.3 Eight-core server SoCs
              6.3.1 "Avoton" (22 nm)
              6.3.2 "Rangeley" (22 nm)

7 CE SoCs

7.1 Single-core CE SoCs
              7.1.1 "Sodaville" (45 nm)
              7.1.2 "Groveland" (45 nm)
              7.2 Dual-Core CE SoCs
              7.2.1 "Berryville" (32 nm)

Hi Pete, Who makes the pc you have pictured. I'm looking for a PC to run a weather server and another to run Blue Iris. I currently run a HomeTroller S6 for HS3.

Comment

Who makes the pc you have pictured.

Dunno. It is an Intel based motherboard in a nice case.

These are Intel Celeron's (dual core expandable) and Intel Atom Baytrail's which are not expandable.

I am currently running my Davis Weather station software on a RPi2 using software called Cumulus. I still am running another Cumulus weather station still using Windows server at another location. The RPI2 is light and you can velcro it behind the Davis console.

Here been using Zoneminder Linux CCTV for over 10 years. Initially was using an 8 port / 8 chip video capture card. I have upgraded the computer and footprint for IP HD cameras now and went to using Axis servers for what is left.

I read somewhere that Blue Iris is resource intensive. When adding or doing multiple HD streaming that will happen. I am pushing on my Zoneminder box.

It will probably be good to update the box to an iSeries with much memory. I am also doing a MythTV box that does multiple stream captures from HDHomerun boxes such that it would run faster with an iSeries computer with much memory.
                Last edited by Pete; October 3, 2015, 04:31 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                X