What is Your Primary Lighting Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Your Primary Lighting Technology

Which lighting technology do you intend to use or switch to?

For example, let's say you mostly have X10 devices now but have given up on them and are in the process of converting to Z-Wave. In your case, vote for Z-Wave. I'm really interested in where the market is heading.

Only one entry allowed per voter.

------------------
    Poll is closed now. Here are the results
    Attached Files
    Z-Wave
    62.82%
    Insteon
    17.95%
    X10
    3.85%
    UPB
    8.97%
    Zigbee
    1.28%
    HUE
    3.85%
    PLCBUS
    1.28%
    Other (please explain)
    0.00%
    Last edited by macromark; August 26, 2015, 09:01 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I have lots of UPB, some z-wave, and some zigbee light controlled via hue hub and JowiHue plugin. I intend to add a bunch of HUE bulbs for a couple of projects I have. They are zigbee bulbs but not exactly marketed extensively as such.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

my x10 stuff is rock solid.. no reason for me to change..

i even constantly search ebay and forums for 23890w 2 way togglelinc switches...

i got some off ebay - 12 for $56 !!!
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

My X10 system is still really reliable so it's hard to justify a major change. That said however, when HS adds ZigBee support I'll likely begin switching to ZigBee.
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
        Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Z Wave here. Started with it when I got into this hobby 4 years ago. Its solid and easy.

I have considered going zigbee on a few things, but I always get scared away because the standard isn't solid and keeps changing or no one conforms to it properly.

Comment

220V AC current but that wasn't available in the poll
            - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
            HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
            PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
              220V too here
              Mainly PLCBUS for lighting... US Zwave for doors... EU Zwave for power plugs and LEDs...
              HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
                My X10 system is still really reliable so it's hard to justify a major change. That said however, when HS adds ZigBee support I'll likely begin switching to ZigBee.
                Really? Which Zigbee wall switches will you be installing?
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
                  I'm confused. Is that a lighting technology?
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                    I'm confused. Is that a lighting technology?

I guess it's the main technology in a non-"smart" switch. [emoji6]

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Just a note here about Zigbee.

ZigBee is a specification for a suite of high-level communication protocols used to create personal area networks built from small, low-power digital radios. ZigBee is based on an IEEE 802.15.4 standard. Its low power consumption limits transmission distances to 10–100 meters line-of-sight, depending on power output and environmental characteristics.

ZigBee devices can transmit data over long distances by passing data through a mesh network of intermediate devices to reach more distant ones. ZigBee is typically used in low data rate applications that require long battery life and secure networking (ZigBee networks are secured by 128 bit symmetric encryption keys.) ZigBee has a defined rate of 250 kbit/s, best suited for intermittent data transmissions from a sensor or input device. Applications include wireless light switches, electrical meters with in-home-displays, traffic management systems, and other consumer and industrial equipment that requires short-range low-rate wireless data transfer. The technology defined by the ZigBee specification is intended to be simpler and less expensive than other wireless personal area networks (WPANs), such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

ZigBee was conceived in 1998, standardized in 2003, and revised in 2006. The name refers to the waggle dance of honey bees after their return to the beehive.

Electronic Design Mar 29, 2012

Meanwhile, iControl offers a ZigBee home monitor and control panel (Fig. 2). Ember and iControl have teamed up to help broadband service providers and home security companies to continue the trend toward interactive security, monitoring, and home management services. The iControl OpenHome Software Platform pairs its open, technology-agnostic software infrastructure with an all-in-one touchscreen, combining an alarm system, communications gateway, and home automation platform into one device. Ember’s ZigBee platform provides the two-way wireless networking infrastructure for the entire system.

Note here too that the Openpeak VOIP / Zigbee energy / thermostat tabletop tablet was sold similarly in the early 2000's to utility companies and telco companies.

Piper versus Scout versus SmartThings - Updated: May 21, 2015

iControl has evolved to now selling a Z-Wave enabled device called the Piper which competes with Scout (Zigbee) and SmartThings (Zigbee and Z-Wave).

Piper is a video surveillance system that can expand to limited Z-Wave home automation. SmartThings is an open-source home automation system that can expand to a home security device. Scout is a home security solution that can expand to a home automation device. Are you still with me? In the end they can all do two things.

The market is evolving and the dust hasn't settled yet relating to new / old automation technologies (specifically Z-Wave and Zigbee and 802.11X).

Piper versus Scout versus SmartThings

Relating to that whole automation and self security monitoring here is an interesting article to read.

Best Self-Monitored Home Security Systems

Ideally a new Z-Net multiple wireless protocol controller would be a nice Homeseer device to have...kind of a one size fits all controller.
                      Last edited by Pete; August 19, 2015, 09:06 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                        Really? Which Zigbee wall switches will you be installing?
                        I'm trying to move away from the wall switch-wired-to-a-fixture paradigm and toward the use of in-fixture controllers, with the control system handling light level settings based on occupancy, time of day, current lighting conditions, etc. I also have remotes/tablets/phones available for manual input to the system and this has been working quite well for years (yes, even using X10).

Further, my interest in ZigBee goes beyond lighting as it is a great transport for sensors and other low-bandwidth systems like weather and environmental sensors, presence detection, HVAC, landscape watering, utility monitoring, etc. This is specifically what Zigbee was designed for and it could easily unify so many of the disparate technologies we are all using today.

I totally understand the issues with HS adding ZigBee support at this time, and my expectation is that it will be quite some time before this happens so more product choices should be available by then. If they're not then I can always build my own. (Can't do that with Zwave unless I join their club, sign a NDA, buy only their parts, etc.)
                        Best regards,
                        -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                        Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

I have all the light switches in my home using Z-Wave Leviton Low Voltage Dimmers or Leviton Switches. I also use Z-Wave motion sensors to automate my whole home with other systems (OpenSprinkler, Hue, Nest) in every room, stairs, entryway (mains powered)...so I don't hadly ever touch a light switch.

I also have about 40% of the rooms with Philips Hue Lights running off the Z-Wave switches. As most of you know, the switch needs to be on all the time for Hue to work.

All my hue lights start going from white or brightly colored to Yellow/Orange after sunset and gradually move to dimming Red at bedtime.

If I had it to do over again, I'd just go Hue and skip the Z-Wave dimmed white lights everywhere but maybe the kitchen. The only reason I wouldn't have them if you needed to use a switch to control locally (and Hue tap not a rugged).

Just my two cents during my conversion from Vera to Homeseer...and revolution my 3 year HA automation using Vera/PLEG.

PS - So far, I'm thrilled how much easier Homeseer is to program when you have a complex setup.

Comment

Insteon. So far. The latest switches work pretty well and the whole network works really well with ISY.

Now adding Ubiquiti mFi outlets and power monitors / controllers. These work fantastic. Even have panel AMP draw reporting.

Probably add some Z-Wave next. Mostly because it /should/ be seamless with ISY and Elk (and Homeseer?) and I'm curious to try. I wish ISY supported the Ubiquiti stuff. That would be awesome. But it's all controllable and monitor-capable through telnet; so if I figure out scripts in HS...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello gregoryx,

Are you the same gregoryx from a few years ago relating to using the Transmeta tablet for Homeseer?

IE: I purchased a few of these way long time ago.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X