amazon unlimited cloud backup and homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amazon unlimited cloud backup and homeseer

I just came across amazons offering $59 a YEAR for unlimited backup space. their interface is clunky and annoying and it dosnt seem to have an automated backup system but its CHEAP , anyone using it and more has anyone used homeseer to automated some of it yet?

may be useful to store drive images and backups of everything you have off site ( just encrypt it 1st so the NSA dosnt go snooping)
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

You can do it with Google Drive and Dropbox for free, install the windows application and write a script that just copies the HS directory and zips it up. Pick a naming convention for your files (I was just doing HS-DDMMYYYY type names) and then you can have an offsite backup for nothing. Can also run a script to weed old backups, scripts see it no different than a regular windows directory.

Comment

I had a couple of cloud backup services in the past that offered unlimited storage. However their definition of unlimited is not 'unlimited'. I was backing up ~1T of data (my movies, virtuals, etc.), all my own personal data. But eventually they would cancel my account stating their service was not intended for my usage, going so far as to suggest I was a business and it was not personal backup.

I have a Synology NAS at home. Purchased a second Synology (albeit a smaller/cheaper one), and keep it at a friend's house. My main Synology performs nightly updates of my data (encryped) to the remote NAS. Typical nightly data compare and backup of new data takes about 3 hours. The benefit for my friend is he gets to have the Synology DDNS service, so he can always get to his house camera system now (dynamic IP).
      Mike

Comment

You can do it with Google Drive and Dropbox for free
        yes but i want to use amazon cloud drive, they have unlimited backupspace for $59 a year, i will be using it as a cheaper better alternative to their glacier storage. both g grive and dropbox i use but are more expansive
        detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

I have a Synology NAS at home.
          yeah i came across that today, are the cloud backups limited to the size of the local NAS drive? in other words does it just back up whats on the NAS or can you back up more date though it to the cloud? ( looking to store drive images of all my computers for a start

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
            yeah i came across that today, are the cloud backups limited to the size of the local NAS drive? in other words does it just back up whats on the NAS or can you back up more date though it to the cloud? ( looking to store drive images of all my computers for a start
            You select which folders on the NAS to backup, so they would have to reside on the NAS.
            Mike

Comment

Might want to give this a view. http://www.cloudbackupreviews.com/bl...ne-backup.html
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

very true rupp, i wasnt going to use if for general backup, more glaciar storage of long term copies, a sorta "if all else fails" kinda backup

Comment

so something interesting im slowloy looking into.. I hate the term "Cloud" as people (no IT) dont realize it is just server space in someone else shop..

anyway.. I use stablebit drivepool and love it.. I just realized they have a cloud based part. You can take all of your cloud's and either make individual drives or make 1 large drive...

add those to your pool and tell the folders where to backup too... viola.. up and running..

im building a new HS box... and still working on it (different build.. involves drill, drillbits, screws, nuts, etc.. you will see more later.. hah)...

but one thing when we go on vacation we take an external with us.. well this may aleive that and I maybe able to just have it on that "Cloud"

https://stablebit.com/
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Who is Viola? Are you in stop n go traffic right now?
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      Who is Viola? Are you in stop n go traffic right now?
                      Viloa... there u go...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

OK got it.

Relating to the use of a cloud service noticed while traveling that many hotels now QOS down their wireless internet to little pipes while others leave them pretty opened up.

I use the phone wireless sharing to tether these days but 4-5G isn't everywhere and mostly get 3G when traveling. Upload speeds are OK only; download is pretty good.

Still use the little Patriot PBO (Patriot Box Office box with a 1Tb drive in it for movies / storage et al. It has HDMI and analog video out, NIC port, USB port (portable drive). Smallest box with a notebook drive I ever saw. It is years old now.

It is bigger than the little Android boxes / sticks but it has a regular notebook drive in it. I put it in a little camera case. It is about the size of two stacked DVD's in cases and the width of your hand (thumb to pinkie).

The viola (/viˈoʊlə/ [viˈɔːla]) is a bowed string instrument. It is slightly larger than a violin in size and has a lower and deeper sound than a violin.

Last edited by Pete; August 26, 2015, 05:20 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hah.. bite your tongue!!! Grandad.. noooo.. i got a 15yr old..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Comment

Stablebit. great I was wondering if there was anything like this for amazons clunky interface, I am trying it now.

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
                              Stablebit. great I was wondering if there was anything like this for amazons clunky interface, I am trying it now.
                              let me know... I am building a new pc (literally got drill and bits out.. hahahahahaaaa)..

but my use for it would be simple... files there and never obtain them unless my house burns down or my machine goes up in smoke....

their support is top notch and good to deal with. prompt responses too

Comment

Working...
                              X