Motion tracking cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion tracking cameras

I recently got a camera installed on our front porch. I really like it, but due to the location it's installed, I can't see quite as much as I'd like without panning/tilting it. For example, I have one preset for seeing someone's head if they're on the door step (though, if they step off the door step after ringing the doorbell, they may or may not be in the camera range). A second preset for seeing if there's any packages at the front door, and a third preset for looking down the porch entry way (it's a long porch).

I think what I might want is a tracking camera that, by default, looks down the porch entry way. And then if someone walks up the porch to the door, for it to follow them.

What kind of tracking camera would you recommend? Resolution wouldn't be a big deal due to the small-ish area that it needs to cover. It would need to work with BlueIris (but it seems like most all cameras do), and PoE would be nice but not required since I already have a PoE splitter in the wall for the current camera. Also if it's not too loud when tracking. My current camera is pretty loud when panning/tilting (I can hear it from in my office).

And I'm assuming that when it's done tracking and no longer seeing motion, that it can be configured to return to its original position?

The best match I could find was the Vivotek SD8363E
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...day_night.html

It's over $2,000, but that's the cheapest I could find for IP, motion tracking, PoE, and at least 720P

Anyone used Vivotek cameras and had any problems with them?

Comment

I love vivotek cameras. I install them professionally and they are the best cameras on the market in my opinion. I installed 4 of their pan and tilts on a hotels roof about two years ago and they have been running pre-programmed tours this entire time without incident.
      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

For 2K I would hope that the camera came alive and arrested someone if you needed it!

I've played with a few through work in various setups and found just when I was observing they are like anything else, not entirely foolproof. No doubt the facial tracking algorithms are far too complex for me to understand but could you just not get away with multiple cameras or a wide angle lens?

Comment

@DevinH: Since you already have Blue Iris, you can try this:

http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?board=14.0

Another option is to use the HomeSeer plugin, and combine it with PIR/other HS-controlled sensors to trigger the PTZ camera to go to preset direction/zoom level.
          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Yeah, I cringe when thinking about spending 2K on a single camera. Though, if it's the only way I can achieve what I'm looking for, then I think it'd be worth it in the long run.

I've found some cheaper motion trackers, but they mostly seem to be non IP cameras. I've already spent $1000 for someone to do ethernet runs from four exterior locations for cameras to the basement, so I'm definitely sticking to that. Seems like once you add motion tracking to an IP camera, the cost skyrockets (maybe it's because there's relatively few available, so they can get away with the pricing). Most aren't PoE, which probably isn't a deal breaker as long as I can use a PoE splitter on it (like I am with the current cam).

Multiple cameras isn't an option, since I have only one ethernet run to the porch (not interested in wifi... considering I still wouldn't have a way to power it). That and I was specifically told by the wife that I had to do the lamp style camera for the porch to help lessen the intimidation factor for friendlies. I can only assume she wouldn't allow more than one porch camera.

Wide angle might solve part of the problem though. Here's what I'm dealing with:

This is where the camera needs positioned to see a person on the doorstep knocking or ringing the door bell

If the person rings the doorbell then steps back off the step, they may not be within view of the camera anymore. I'm thinking that might be where a wide angle lens might help.

This is where the camera needs positioned to see if there are any packages. Not sure if a wide angle could capture that:

This is where it needs to be to see someone approaching. It also captures them if they take 2 or 3 steps back from the door step, but does not capture them if they remain on the door step.

Comment

Any reason you can't use multiple cameras? You could buy quite a few cameras for $2k!

Comment

I just recently installed a Hikvision 2CD2532FIS with a 2.8mm lens. I have it right above my front door - perhaps 10" above the top of the door frame. As I currently have it configured, I can't quite see someone or a package right up at the door, but I can see my full porch and down the front path to the road about 50' away. The camera has a 3 axis adjustable mount and I currently have it in portrait mode. I am contemplating rotating it 90 degrees and also slightly lowering the view angle to completely capture from the door outwards. I think this will reduce the distance I can see down the path slightly but not significantly. I also have my BI alert videos configured to capture starting 1.5 seconds before detecting motion in the un-masked area. This seems to work very well. I am also triggering HS events from BI using JSON.

I am very happy with this camera. I bought it from B&H to ensure that I received the real US retail version.
                cheeryfool

Comment

If you already have PoE, adding couple more cameras there is a very simple job. A small 4 port PoE switch and patch cables.

Another option may be using PIR/trip sensors, Blue-Iris or similar controller.
                  Setup presets on the existing PTZ camera and create events in HS3 to bring all together.
                  Example: if PIR sensor 1 goes on, HS3 will direct camera to preset X, and covers the front porch.

I have similar setups on my lobby and driveway cameras. If the front door opens, the camera turns to preset 3, and I see the front door.

If you combine it with something like BLRADAR, you could use your PTZ camera to follow a motion path when someone walks from one area to another (I have not tried that yet)

Comment

As mentioned in a previous post, I wouldn't be allowed to setup multiple cameras. Was fortunate enough to setup one.

I see the term "high speed" being used on these auto tracking cameras. I guess mine would be slow speed, or very slow speed. It takes a decent amount of time switch to different presets. So, I'm afraid that setting up triggers isn't going to give me what I'm wanting either.

I found some auto trackers in the $400 range, so I probably give one those a try.

Comment

I had a look at iSpy software (free) for this and that can do motion tracking with a lot of PTZ cameras including IP camera's. Didn't do an indepth test but the possibilities are huge.
                      - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                      HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                      PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
                        Another option is to use the HomeSeer plugin, and combine it with PIR/other HS-controlled sensors to trigger the PTZ camera to go to preset direction/zoom level.
                        this works well. I've added a couple of script commands to my HSTouch client to do this. Contrary to what I say in the video, I'm not using the "button push" action in HS3. Instead, I'm just running the script command to change the camera to the appropriate preset based on the garage door opening or the motion sensors in the garage and shed areas. Works nicely!

💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by DevinH View Post
                          Yeah, I cringe when thinking about spending 2K on a single camera. Though, if it's the only way I can achieve what I'm looking for, then I think it'd be worth it in the long run.
                          I found some auto trackers in the $400 range, so I probably give one those a try.
                          Gack... if you're actually thinking of spending $2k, why not check out Mobotix Q25 at $600. It can do all those and do it without most people noticing (most ppl think they're smoke detectors or speakers):

The thing is a 360' fisheye camera w/ build-in image processor that can do virtual PTZ and multiple views...It can show panorama (180' view) and regular views and mix and match them up:
                          - 2 panorama windows
                          - 1 panorama view + 2 normal views
                          - 4 normal views

To get an idea.. (couldn't find a better demo):

He shows the virtual PTZ for the most part then near the end (1:30 or so) he switches to the other views.

another demo (kind of lame...):

On top of that, the thing can act as SIP server and client, can generate JSON trigger from audio, motion detection, to trigger HS3 events.. also able to create heatmap, identify object direction... etc..

I think you can get a great paronama shot of your neighborhood, make a top-down view of your door and another zoomed-in view of your walkway with the Q24.

ps: Moreover the thing is build like a tank, it has no moving part, and I've had one that 'died' for a few weeks because it was DROWNED in water. When we found the thing, dried it for a couple of days and it starts working right away like it hadn't touched water at all.
                          Last edited by LeoS; September 24, 2015, 12:06 PM.
                          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
                            why not check out Mobotix Q25 at $600.
                            Interesting. Never even seen one of these before. I'll look into it more. thanks

Comment

Interesting. Never even seen one of these before. I'll look into it more. thanks
                              I still think it would be worth you trying one of the $200 Hikvision Wide-Angle models, especially if you can move it slightly so that it's directly above the door. They are much smaller than standard dome cameras. I am definitely going to be buying more of these. B&H have a great return policy.
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                              X