Motion tracking cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
    I still think it would be worth you trying one of the $200 Hikvision Wide-Angle models, especially if you can move it slightly so that it's directly above the door. They are much smaller than standard dome cameras. I am definitely going to be buying more of these. B&H have a great return policy.
    A 2.8mm lens should give you about 80' vertical angle, so if you tilt it so the bottom of the picture covers the mat underneath the camera, it can cover from the doormat to about 10-15' below the horizon. It's doable, but you can't see the street with it.

Beautiful picture though... I have some older hikvisions (dome and bullets) and I'm very happy with their PQ and features.
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
      A 2.8mm lens should give you about 80' vertical angle, so if you tilt it so the bottom of the picture covers the mat underneath the camera, it can cover from the doormat to about 10-15' below the horizon. It's doable, but you can't see the street with it.

Beautiful picture though... I have some older hikvisions (dome and bullets) and I'm very happy with their PQ and features.
      I think mine has a wider FOV horizontally than vertically but haven't found confirmation of that other than the resolution is the typical wider than taller setup. Going to try rotating it this weekend and if successful I will post a pic with some distances labelled on it.
      cheeryfool

Comment

I think mine has a wider FOV horizontally than vertically but haven't found confirmation of that other than the resolution is the typical wider than taller setup. Going to try rotating it this weekend and if successful I will post a pic with some distances labelled on it.
        That would be interesting. Its horizontal angle ahould be slightly wider (by about 10-15') so you'll probably get the doormat up to the horizon, but i think it would still look cramped, since we're used to seeing the sky as reference point in outdoor images.

Originally posted by DevinH View Post
        Multiple cameras isn't an option, since I have only one ethernet run to the porch (not interested in wifi... considering I still wouldn't have a way to power it). That and I was specifically told by the wife that I had to do the lamp style camera for the porch to help lessen the intimidation factor for friendlies. I can only assume she wouldn't allow more than one porch camera.
        Btw, if cabling is the limiting factor, i've read of PoE powere switch that practically acts as a POE splitter (1 poe in, 2 poe out and 2 non poe ports). The catch is that it has to be full-powered PoE that feeds it (Usually switches with MP label; for Max Power).

Edit: here it is... hp intellijack:
        http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/b...78d8ced5b6.pdf
        Last edited by LeoS; September 25, 2015, 05:20 AM.
        HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

I recently installed a Foscam FI9900P at my door. I currently have it trained to see who's at the door, as well as a good view from the front of the garage right down the driveway. It could be trained down a bit to look at the bottom of the doorway (packages) without sacrificing the visitor view.
          It's not PTZ (silent) and I do use Wi-Fi, but it also has the option of a LAN connection. It's 1080P (2 Megapixel) and has quite a wide view (4mm lens). And it's IR for a really clear view at night. There is the facility to install a microSD card inside the camera for recording without having to resort to BlueIris, which I do currently use.
          I've installed three of these in fact; one at the door, one on the garage and one for the back yard.
          Best of all, it didn't cost $2K. It was only $140 Canadian.
          Attached Files
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Interesting. Never even seen one of these before. I'll look into it more. thanks
            I installed a vivotek FE8174 fish eye in a boiler room and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed. It could see in every direction at once and when using the proper software (this was on a qnap NVR) it was a virtual pan and tilt. It avoids the problem with standard pan and tilts where they are never pointed in the right direction (see Murphy's law). I agree that a wide enough lens will cover what you need in your situation. Better yet use a pin hole lens right in the door frame, nobody will know it's there and it will look straight down the porch. I'm considering doing that at my front door and using facial recognition for entry.
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
              Btw, if cabling is the limiting factor, i've read of PoE powere switch that practically acts as a POE splitter (1 poe in, 2 poe out and 2 non poe ports). The catch is that it has to be full-powered PoE that feeds it (Usually switches with MP label; for Max Power).

Edit: here it is... hp intellijack:
              http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/b...78d8ced5b6.pdf
              That's pretty neat. I was looking at some in wall switches awhile back. I was never able to tell if any of them were rated for outdoors (since they don't say so, my assumption is not).

I'm currently using the Foscam FI8919W on the front porch. I went with it because it was really cheap (especially on sale), probably because it's only 640x480, which is more than what I need for the small porch area. However, I went and looked up the specifications, and it only as a 40 degree viewing angle.

One model up (F19828P) is 960p with 70 degree viewing angle. I'm curious as to how much that would help. My front yard and back yard cameras are 70 degree viewing angles, and you can certainly tell the difference. But hard to know how much it'll help in a smaller cramped area. I'll probably be purchasing this for the back yard deck since there's a quite a bit more area to cover than the front porch (I'm required to use a lamp style for the deck in addition to the porch, and could only use bullet style for back yard and front yard). So maybe I'll test it out on the front porch when I get it.

Is wide-angle usually 70 degrees? or do they get wider than that? I'm a bit worried about fish eye cameras, particularly if they work with blue iris. I don't really want to have to be monitoring multiple pieces of software.

Comment

@DevinH:
                1. There are 'ultra wide angle' ones at 130' or so i think. Mobotix has 180' ones. Many dome/bullet cameras has (unofficial) replaceable lenses. You can try buying those lenses.

2. Mobotix works with Blue Iris. But if your only qualm is the field of view, there are other cheaper ways than going for a Mobotix; especially if you're not gonna make use of its extensive extended capabilities

Comment

So, here's my Hikvision 2.8mm cam view after rotating it to have the longer axis vertically. This is a snap from BlueIris.

To put some sizes to the picture:

1. The pillars are 9.5' apart.
                  2. The porch is 6' deep
                  3. The porch steps to the curb is about 18yds
                  4. The (foreshortened road) is about 13yds wide.

I think I am going to leave it in this rotation as I can now see from the foot of the door (i.e. packages) all the way across the road.

I need to play a bit more with the contrast and colour / white balance settings, especially in the night view, but overall I remain very happy with this cam
                  Attached Files
                  cheeryfool

Comment

That looks great, Cheery. Seems to be about the quoted 80' angle, and seems enough to do what DevinH wanted to do in his first post.

I've never thought of mounting my cameras sideway to gain additional angle... will consider this tip whenever I need more vertical angle from now on

Cheers!

Comment

So, here's my Hikvision 2.8mm cam view after rotating it to have the longer axis vertically. This is a snap from BlueIris.
                      That looks like it would accomplish what I'm after. What model is that camera?

Comment

That looks like it would accomplish what I'm after. What model is that camera?
                        Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS 3 Megapixel 2.8mm. I bought it from B&H for $200. There are many cheaper prices out there, but I couldn't confirm if any of those (even Amzn) was a true US retail package and I wanted easy return/replacement/US Warranty.

For installation I was able to flush mount it on the wall above the door and drill a 7/8" hole through into behind my crown molding in my hallway. From there I have the cat6 snaked behind the crown molding into my hall closet and from there down to the basement to a $25 8-port POE injector.
                        cheeryfool

Comment

So, here's my Hikvision 2.8mm cam view after rotating it to have the longer axis vertically.
                          Can you post a picture of what the camera looks like mounted sideways on the wall?

I am trying to accomplish the same results of viewing packages on the doorstep and then viewing out the path and out to the road. I see the view angle posted on camera sites but that is side to side and not up and down, which I am looking for.

Comment

Working...
                          X