If Homeseer went away ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Homeseer went away ??

While having to plug in all my license keys AGAIN after this recent update to HS, it got me thinking, since HS " phones home " to verify license keys, if the company HS went away would that mean that Homeseer the product would stop working next time it tried to renew or update its license keys?
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Hopefully, that would never happen!

Second hope would be that they would release the source as Open Source.

Finally, perhaps in combination with the suggestion above, they would do what Microsoft did with Microsoft Money: release a version with a patch which does not phone home.

I am still very bitter that Microsoft Money went away. There is no product that matches its greatness and excellence.

hjk
    ---

Comment

Humm, I would like to Ask Rick what his policy is on this and I too hope it never goes away, but then sad things sometimes happen and I know we have all put a LOT of work into our systems and would be a shame if all of a sudden they turned into bricks.

Input Rick ?
      detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
        Humm, I would like to Ask Rick what his policy is on this and I too hope it never goes away, but then sad things sometimes happen and I know we have all put a LOT of work into our systems and would be a shame if all of a sudden they turned into bricks.

Input Rick ?
        Do you mean Rich? Rick is a software developer for HST. Rich is the owner.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Oops yes, Rich

Comment

Given the current architecture of the software, I would guess that unless there was a patch, it would all be gone.

But of course I'm just taking a SWAG on this..
            RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Humm, rich'so silence on this is a little disconcerting

Comment

Well, we all have to plan for our eventual departure, one way or another, so hopefully there are plans in place...

Personally, I keep a copy of my virtual machine that runs HS, with all my plugins that I have paid for activated. In theory, if HS went away, and my activations got lost, I could recover them from my backup. This assumes HS doesn't phone home every once in a while to recheck them (hopefully not, but I have not checked this).

Comment

From hints dropped here, over the course of a few years, I'd guess that rather than the software going "poof," it will be sold to another (much larger) concern.

At least that is the vision in MY crystal ball.....
                  HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                  Home Assistant 2024.3
                  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                  Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                  Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                  WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
                    Humm, rich'so silence on this is a little disconcerting
                    Rich, like many business managers is not going to be inclined (and would not be advised) to deal with hypothetical situations. Try sending an email to Adobe or Microsoft and ask them how software activation will be handled if they go out of business. You can bet you will not get an answer.

Your best current strategy is to support HomeSeer, get all of your friends to run it, buy products from the store, etc. Make every effort to make sure they are successful and thriving.

If something unforeseen should happen down the road, it will be handled as those circumstances dictate - anything said today would be pointless because there are just too many variables.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                      From hints dropped here, over the course of a few years, I'd guess that rather than the software going "poof," it will be sold to another (much larger) concern.

At least that is the vision in MY crystal ball.....

Selling to a larger concern might be the fastest way to make it go poof. This is a morbid question. All that matters is that HS has been a stand up company that's cares about its customers. I've seen a lot of platforms come and go in the time I've been an HS user. Most just leave without a trace. I'd be very surprised if that happened with HS should some major upheaval occur for them.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                      Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                      Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                        Rich, like many business managers is not going to be inclined (and would not be advised) to deal with hypothetical situations. Try sending an email to Adobe or Microsoft and ask them how software activation will be handled if they go out of business. You can bet you will not get an answer.

Your best current strategy is to support HomeSeer, get all of your friends to run it, buy products from the store, etc. Make every effort to make sure they are successful and thriving.

If something unforeseen should happen down the road, it will be handled as those circumstances dictate - anything said today would be pointless because there are just too many variables.

this is true but i know Steam (gaming software) has often said what its plan is if they close their doors.
                        HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                        53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                        https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                          this is true but i know Steam (gaming software) has often said what its plan is if they close their doors.
                          Not to be argumentative, but 1) that is a very rare position and 2) they are talking about a situation that has not yet happened, so there is no guarantee that plan could be implemented. Just one example - they commit massive tax fraud and the IRS comes in without warning and seizes all of their assets. It would be difficult to stick to plan. Another example - Steam sells their company to Superhot Water next year, all plans are out the window.

It is impossible to realistically address the hypothetical.
                          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                            I hope this never happens. I love STEAM
                            Cheers,
                            Bob
                            Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              Not to be argumentative, but 1) that is a very rare position and 2) they are talking about a situation that has not yet happened, so there is no guarantee that plan could be implemented. Just one example - they commit massive tax fraud and the IRS comes in without warning and seizes all of their assets. It would be difficult to stick to plan. Another example - Steam sells their company to Superhot Water next year, all plans are out the window.

It is impossible to realistically address the hypothetical.
                              I don't disagree but it helps to have an idea how a company wants to handle it over just hoping it doesn't.

Some companies just don't care.
                              HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                              53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                              https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Working...
                              X