No announcement yet.

Remote monitoring of second house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a Wink then put in a Z-net. Worked well! ....except for the time the power went out at our house. We went to go stay at the remote house because it had power but since HS had died at home, nothing at the remote house worked. It wasn't horrible but the central sceen lighting didn't work nor did the blinds or motion events. Have a Zee there now. Completely autonomous but I can monitor it remotely just as I can HS at our home when we are not home. Plus when we rent it out, its all on its own.

Comment

Finally got the second place and ready to install the ZNET. Couple things.

1. Internet speed is horrible - 1.5mb downloads - is this going to cause issues?
      2. The network stuff is a bit outside my knowledge base. Any suggestions on what I need to do like open a port, etc.

Thanks, Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kevincanderson View Post

1. Internet speed is horrible - 1.5mb downloads - is this going to cause issues?
        Yes

2. The network stuff is a bit outside my knowledge base. Any suggestions on what I need to do like open a port, etc.

Thanks, Kevin
        If this network stuff is outside your knowledge base you are most likely going to have a hard time. Based on the information you have provided, a VPN between the two locations would probably be a poor solution. It might not be a bad idea to just get a second controller.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I ended up with a Zee S2, which I've recently replaced with the most current model. I like this setup because it's independent of the setup at my main house, especially since the ranch house is used by multiple family members. I put a UPS on all the automation and Internet-related equipment. Very frequent power outages there too due to weather. The whole system is down right now due to a mistake on my part in physical installation of the driveway sensor, and also forgetting to reinstall my dynamic DNS update script when the local IP changed, and due to COVID I haven't been out there since February. I'll get it fixed as soon as I can get back out there though. While it was running the setup worked very well for me.
          HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Thanks, Kevin
            1. If you just have a Z-net on a VPN there, I would argue it won't be a problem. You are just sending small packets back and forth with telemetry and control. Not streaming video. If the upload speed is asymetric you might have bigger problems.
            2. I set up a VPN with a Ubiquiti router at both places. It was a one time pain, but once I factory reset one of them and got it working again. There are pretty good setups online.
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
              2. I set up a VPN with a Ubiquiti router at both places. It was a one time pain, but once I factory reset one of them and got it working again. There are pretty good setups online.
              Did you do a site to site vpn connection? Router to router?

Comment

Originally posted by mik3 View Post

Yes. I have a Ubiquiti Edgerouter in both homes. One is subnet 192.168.0.255 and the other is 192.168.1.255.

Looks seamless on the LAN.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 1.59.12 PM.png
Views:	61
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	1402488
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post

Yes. I have a Ubiquiti Edgerouter in both homes. One is subnet 192.168.0.255 and the other is 192.168.1.255.

Looks seamless on the LAN.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 1.59.12 PM.png
Views:	61
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	1402488
                  Gotcha.

Comment

I typically put sensors that have an IP connection at the remote location. Don’t need any computer at the remote connection so reliability is improved. I have also installed an internet monitor that periodically pings yahoo, Microsoft etc and when no response will do a staged power cycle of the internet modem followed by WiFi router. When I changed from cable to fiber I no longer needed this monitor to assure the internet connection was active.

I do now have a RPi at a remote location to support zigbee to WiFi to support water leak sensors.

Most of my sensors use MQTT for reporting with the Broker at the location of my main residence.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
                      I ended up with a Zee S2, which I've recently replaced with the most current model. I like this setup because it's independent of the setup at my main house, especially since the ranch house is used by multiple family members. I put a UPS on all the automation and Internet-related equipment. Very frequent power outages there too due to weather. The whole system is down right now due to a mistake on my part in physical installation of the driveway sensor, and also forgetting to reinstall my dynamic DNS update script when the local IP changed, and due to COVID I haven't been out there since February. I'll get it fixed as soon as I can get back out there though. While it was running the setup worked very well for me.
                      So are you running 2 versions of HS on your phone or how does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by mik3 View Post

That's where I was at when I said this is all just a bit beyond my knowledge base. I know that once it is setup it will work. The slow internet speed is my concern with doing it this way.

Comment

Working...
                        X