Which NUC would be best for HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which NUC would be best for HS?

My server "restarted" again expectantly, and while I am planning on moving it to an i7-4790k based system (currently an core 2 duo e8400) , I don't want the Home automation running on thise server for a few reasons (it is my development machine, my home media server, etc). If I have to restart the server or work on it for any reason, I don't want the home automation going down. It also gives me the ability to turn off the "big" server for long periods of time to save power if I want.

I was looking at the NUCs and I am curious if anyone can give me a recommendation for any specific model in particular. It is hard to determine which are the newer ones and which are the older ones.

I ran across the NUC5CPYH which seems to be fairly cheap, but it has a celeron, which scares me a bit. I want something that will keep HS running very snappy, but have as low power usage as possible. Likely this machine will be used only for HS an nothing else. I have considered also using it though as the main Plex viewing device for the living room, but I have a HTPC I could use for that if I so desired.

Also note that I'm not tied to a NUC, but I've heard great things about them, so that is where I'm starting.

P.S. I know this topic comes up a lot, but technology changes rather quickly and recommendations can change just as fast. I will try and keep this thread updated with my information

So I missed this thread from yesterday when searching:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1199737

That board looks nice and while the passmark score for it's processor is lower than the one in my server, it's not by much and this machine would only be for HS. For ~$200 it's not a bad price/performance. Waiting to hear back in that thread if it is good for HS.

P.S. searching the site for "NUC" actually returns zero results using the built in search. is 3 characters too few for a search?

Comment

Comment

I am in the same boat right now. I have a power hungry server running HS. I have been looking at small computers as well but have one requirement that I am having a hard time finding. A serial port. I need at least one for my russound unit.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
          I am in the same boat right now. I have a power hungry server running HS. I have been looking at small computers as well but have one requirement that I am having a hard time finding. A serial port. I need at least one for my russound unit.
          Excuse my ignorance in this specific subject, but is there not an option for a usb -> serial adapter? I realize it's "clunky", but would fit the bill. And trust me I understand not WANTING to use and adapter. I found this one on amazon with pretty good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-JU-CB1S12.../dp/B000FOL6QI

Comment

I have tried a couple and they have never been reliable. Right now with serial direct talks working like a champ. It's the only thing my wife is happy about right now and I don't want to disturb that

Comment

I priced out a NUC using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Next-Uni...6&keywords=nuc

And it came out to just under $500. Seems a bit expensive, and might actually be overkill for just HS. I'm trying to somewhat base my decision based on the passmark cpu score (which might not be a great idea, I know). The first nuc I posted had a score of 900, this one 3,000, and my current server's cpu is 2315. I think I could live with 2,000, but unsure if the 900 will be enough with all the plugins I have and the ones I plan to add in the near future.

I would also like to delve into Voice Recognition with this and I'm not sure how much CPU resources that will take. Currently I can't do that because Windows Server 2008 has all the VR stuff ripped out of it. It's another reason I'm splitting HS out of my server. My server "redo" will be with Windows Server 2012r2 Essentials (unless I just reinstall 2008 enterprise, which I might do for now to save the $400)

Comment

Just found this at Woot. It is cheaper, but is also not ssd, and only has 4g of ram (the $500 included 1 8gb, so I could upgrade to 16gb later):

http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-...ef=cnt_wp_10_1

Still, for $380, it might just be what I go with. the cpu's passmark is 2777, which is actually still faster than my current server's cpu.

Comment

And also found this at Woot:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...8U+%40+1.70GHz

slower yet (1790 passmark), but also $40 cheaper. Also 500gb drive instead of 1tb drive. My server's OS drive currently only uses 100GB, so I'm thinking a 250GB ssd would still be preferable (which is what my $500 included...Samsung evo 850). I guess it depends on how much Windows 10 takes up.

Comment

My HS3 runs on a D34010WYK with 4GB of ram.

If I should buy one today I would choose one with room for a HDD but that wasn't possible when I bought mine.

Regards
                    Morten

Comment

Originally posted by mhn View Post
                      My HS3 runs on a D34010WYK with 4GB of ram.

If I should buy one today I would choose one with room for a HDD but that wasn't possible when I bought mine.

Regards
                      Morten
                      I've gone back and forth on that......I would like one with space for a HDD, but I will be starting with an SSD anyways. If I needed to add "storage", I could just throw an external under it (or use the 4tb usb3 one I have but never seem to use..LOL). I also happen to have a server with 18TB of storage in it and a 4gbps trunk to the switches (4gbps to it's switch with another 4gbps trunk between my 2 main switches). I currently have HS on the server, but when the server restarts (manually or not), I refuse to let it auto login, so HS doesn't start. This is bad for WAF since this morning at 7:13 it force restarted and we lost automation for a period of time.

Is there any reason you prefer the HDD over the SSD? Is it merely a cost thing or were you thinking you'd like it for more storage later? even I admit local storage would be better than an external and the cost difference isn't much between the one with the option for a HDD and the one without.

Comment

Last edited by Ultrajones; September 18, 2015, 05:15 PM.
                        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                          Is there any reason you prefer the HDD over the SSD? Is it merely a cost thing or were you thinking you'd like it for more storage later? even I admit local storage would be better than an external and the cost difference isn't much between the one with the option for a HDD and the one without.
                          I prefer the possibility of a HDD. :-) I have a 64GB mSATA on my HS PC. It's fine but it makes me a bit nervous. With room for a 2.5" you can get bigger disks and I think an 2.5" SSD is cheaper than an mSATA?

Regards
                          Morten

Comment

Originally posted by mhn View Post
                            I prefer the possibility of a HDD. :-) I have a 64GB mSATA on my HS PC. It's fine but it makes me a bit nervous. With room for a 2.5" you can get bigger disks and I think an 2.5" SSD is cheaper than an mSATA?

Regards
                            Morten
                            I'm getting a m.2 SSD (not sure if mSata and m.2 are the same..I haven't been keeping up all that well the past few years). However the cost differential for the same drive (Samsung 250 EVO 250gb) is like < $9, both under $100. Oddly enough, the m.2 is more expensive though it obviously has far less "material" to it. The biggest benefit I could see for having the space for the other drive is merely for adding storage (could be nice) and/or replacing with a normal 2.5" drive later on if for some reason m.2 is not available anymore.

The size though for the one without the space for a 2.5" drive is what makes me slightly want the smaller one more. I like that it's so compact.

Comment

I am currently utilizing an .m2 128Gb SSD / 16Gb RAM with the Homeseer 3 iSeries PC.

Current two HS2 boxes are built on 15- 20 Gb partitions (Wintel server) with larger SATA drives. (paired in a Raid 1 with hot swap drive cages)

HS2 compressed backup is still only 256Mb.

Homeseer 3 on Linux uncompressed right now is sitting around 300Mb.

Here relating first Intel NUC and while I liked the build didn't purchase it because it didn't have an audio output jack.
                              Last edited by Pete; September 20, 2015, 11:42 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X