Insteon good choice for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon good choice for me?

So looking at the lighting control 2015 poll... I see 20+ people chose insteon..

Is insteon still a desired and highly used item?

My wife does not like the decora light switches AT ALL.. to that I was able to buy the x10 23890w 2 way togglelinc switches. She has been ok with them but my kids are not that easy on them. they keep hitting them a bit too hard and that pops the circuit board out.. I need to take 3 apart and click them back together. I tried telling my kids to be easy but at times it is neice and nephew that hit it too...

not able to find anymore 23890w's I need a new source alternative.

i see on ebay constantly selling Smartlabs INSTEON ToggleLinc 2466SW or the ones like that.

so few questions...

1. I need an insteon controller - which seems cheap and reliable?
    2. plugin - not seeing free so guessing im going to have to pay for that too
    3. do these light switches work with dimmable led?
    4. do these light switches have a delay? the zwave ha20c I have, have a 3 second delay and it is such a PITA...

thx
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

I installed Insteon when my house was built in 2006 so I can tell you how they have held up over 9 years...

In 2006 Smarthome had the Insteon "Green LED" icon switches (decora) cheap. Those had microswitch issues and were all replaced free of charge by Smarthome with amber led icon switches.

I have a couple "high use" switches (both in bathrooms) that I only get a little over 2 years out of before the switches start to fail (physically). It starts to require several presses before the lights turn on. These are the decora Switchlincs and they do get abused by the kids.

I end up replacing about 1 switch a year. Over the nine years I've lost 1 keypadlinc.

I don't have any togglelincs so I can't comment on their reliability.

I use the ISY controller and the plugin for HS. Simply from the standpoint of managing the devices and setting up links/scenes the ISY is great. I didn't have it initially and managing the devices was a pain. I have some logic programmed into the ISY and some in HS depending on what it is.

I don't have any significant delays on the lights responding. I have an insteon motion sensor in the garage (for when we go to the fridge out there). I don't have the sensor and the light linked directly because I run it through the logic in the ISY. Even going to the ISY and processing and sending on signal back to the light I almost always beat 2 secs.

I use them with dimmable LED's in the family room (4 cans - Cree, I believe) and in the bedrooms (2 bulb fixtures). They work best coming on at full brightness and then dimming.

The light in the master bedroom does flicker a bit with insteon traffic when the light is dimmed low, I'm not certain if that is the switch or the bulbs.

Greg

Comment

I started off with Insteon with a non-HS3 controller, something called a HydroFlash (which is actually a nice simple system, albeit very limited in functionality).

My big issue with Insteon is that you're limited to one manufacturer of devices, essentially the corporate entity of SmartHome. And I had quality control issues. Twice in six months the serial interface that connected HydroFlash to Insteon died.

I've since moved to Z-Wave . . . .

Comment

I have a mixture of Z-wave and Insteon at my home, partially due to me giving my wife a choice on the style and look of switches. She liked the look of the Insteon switches better than anything else. I have 62 Insteon devices, made up of switches (on/off and dimmers), on/off modules, dimmer modules, keypads, in wall receptacles (in and outside) and one motion sensor. I have around 20 Z-wave on/off modules, some in wall receptacles, and 2 thermostats. I provided a picture of one of the 4gang Insteon switches that has labels and a keypad. My wife really likes the keypads. Most on/off and dimmer switches are at least 3 years old, the hub is 2 1/2 years old, a few of the keypads are 6 years old. My oldest switches are 5+ years. I have a few newer switches year or less... Some of the older switches are in high traffic areas, garage, back door, master bedroom. I have been pleased with the lifespan, and have not had to replace but just three Insteon switches over the years. Two that I replaced was the old style switches (Icon I believe), the paddle could just not handle the traffic. The other was a togglelinc and was at the front door and controlled our eve lights. At Christmas time I would use this switch to turn on our outside icicle lights (before I switched to LED lights), the switch could just not handle the current required for all those lights strung together. We have three kids, and our house has always been full with family and friends turning things off and on (LOL)... In the last year our two oldest have moved out, getting a little quieter.

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
        1. I need an insteon controller - which seems cheap and reliable?
        I am using the Insteon Hub 2242-222.

2. plugin - not seeing free so guessing im going to have to pay for that too
        I use Marks plugin. It is great and he provides spectacular support. I believe HomeSeer has a plugin but I have not used it.

3. do these light switches work with dimmable led?
        I have do not have any LED socket lights yet. I do have LED lights in our curio cabinet (did it myself), never understood why they put one light in a curio cabinet at the top and then you have no light at the bottom. My wife loved this project. LEDs on top of our cabinets in the kitchen and in the vaulted ceiling in the bathroom, the dimmers I have work great with this setup.

4. do these light switches have a delay? the zwave ha20c I have, have a 3 second delay and it is such a PITA...
        I have not noticed a delay when using HomeSeer or HSTouch to control the Insteon lights. I have a mixture of old style Insteon power line only and the new style Insteon dual band. They seem to coexist together well. I also do not notice any delay with Z-wave unless I have a unit that is misbehaving... As Randy has mentioned before their is no rhyme or reason to the havoc a misbehaving Z-wave module can cause on a network. I can say it has been a very long time since I have had a Z-wave issue.
        Attached Files
        Billy

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post

I have not noticed a delay when using HomeSeer or HSTouch to control the Insteon lights. I have a mixture of old style Insteon power line only and the new style Insteon dual band. They seem to coexist together well. I also do not notice any delay with Z-wave unless I have a unit that is misbehaving... As Randy has mentioned before their is no rhyme or reason to the havoc a misbehaving Z-wave module can cause on a network. I can say it has been a very long time since I have had a Z-wave issue.
          Thx for reply....
          Very informative..

Is there certain model switches better than others?

And fyi... delay is normal. Intermatic ha20c default.. tap.. takes second to start and total 3s to b on...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Not sure, on different models being better than another. Mike said it right, there is one manufacturer and that is Smarthome. Many different companies make Z-wave products. Both ways have their own pros and cons...

I am using these dimmers and they work really well http://www.smarthome.com/switchlinc-...and-white.html

These are the switches, http://www.smarthome.com/switchlinc-...and-white.html

These are the keypads http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-233...ton-white.html

There dimming modules, I use them for our curio cabinet, lights on top of the kitchen cabinets, etc. http://www.smarthome.com/lamplinc-in...and-2-pin.html

These are the on/off modules http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-263...ff-module.html

I use these outside for our yard lights, fountain, etc... http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-263...dual-band.html

On the delay, did not mean to sound that Insteon has no delay. I am sure it is like any other product in its price range. They all seem to have their own problems. We just do not seem to notice any significant delay.

I have had X10, I call that a delay...
            Billy

Comment

so what im gathering is I need..

1. Insteon 2242-222 Hub
              2. Plugin (either HS or Marks)
              3. Is there any boosters / repeaters or devices needed for stronger signals?

I just wish zwave switches existed with the standard toggle vs decora.

now with that if I go this route and get this going... I am seeing "Dual Band".. is this better than the single?

From what I remember YEARS ago I almost went insteon and bought HS 2.5 with the insteon/x10 controller... x10 controller part wasnt working great so ditched it and few switches i got..

I see on ebay
              2466SW
              2466DW

now these are cheaper - but are they older models where newer ones are WAY better?

thanks guys.. im just having problems finding the old x10 togglelinc switches and in need of a few so trying to figure this all out...

Comment

so a google search i pulling there are zwave switches???

JASCO GE 12727 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Smart Toggle Switch, White
                JASCO GE 12728 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Add-On Toggle Switch, White
                JASCO GE 12729 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Smart Dimmer Toggle Switch, White

Comment

TeleFragger beat me to it -- GE sells toggle Z-Wave switches.

And another option is to use those microswitches (Aeon I think?), which let's you use existing switches and gives them z-wave capability in effect.

Comment

I have a combination of Insteon (2242 hub) and X10 using MSandlers plugin. The current configuration has worked pretty well but I am not sure of how future proof Insteon will be. Insteon has released two newer hubs (2245 and Pro). Mark's plug in is not totally compatible with the 2245 and probably never will be with the Pro as the interface is completely different. I recently purchased the Harmony hub and after I received it found out that it worked only with the 2245 hub. Also, the Amazon Echo works only with the 2245 hub. I spoke to Insteon tech support and they told me that I can put two hubs on the same system so I have a 2245 coming shortly. Hopefully I can use the 2242 to continue to communicate to the HS software and then the 2245 for the Harmony interface and then the Echo should I purchase one of these. As I researched this over the last few weeks it seems the entire Home Automation industry is fragmented and I cannot figure out what direction it will be going as far as hardware. To the general public home automation is still a new thing. I think us "early adopters" will end up running a combination of systems which one interface will integrate or end up throwing away a good amount of equipment if one manufacturer ends up reigning supreme.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                      TeleFragger beat me to it -- GE sells toggle Z-Wave switches.

And another option is to use those microswitches (Aeon I think?), which let's you use existing switches and gives them z-wave capability in effect.
                      hah yeah i found and told myself! actually updated here so you all know....

the microswitch is expensive, requires more room in the box and something that dont think I want to bother with...

Originally posted by The Doge View Post
                      I have a combination of Insteon (2242 hub) and X10 using MSandlers plugin. The current configuration has worked pretty well but I am not sure of how future proof Insteon will be. Insteon has released two newer hubs (2245 and Pro). Mark's plug in is not totally compatible with the 2245 and probably never will be with the Pro as the interface is completely different. I recently purchased the Harmony hub and after I received it found out that it worked only with the 2245 hub. Also, the Amazon Echo works only with the 2245 hub. I spoke to Insteon tech support and they told me that I can put two hubs on the same system so I have a 2245 coming shortly. Hopefully I can use the 2242 to continue to communicate to the HS software and then the 2245 for the Harmony interface and then the Echo should I purchase one of these. As I researched this over the last few weeks it seems the entire Home Automation industry is fragmented and I cannot figure out what direction it will be going as far as hardware. To the general public home automation is still a new thing. I think us "early adopters" will end up running a combination of systems which one interface will integrate or end up throwing away a good amount of equipment if one manufacturer ends up reigning supreme.

I think you are right... I originally went the insteon/x10 route and could never get the insteon part going so got rid of all that. X10 however in my house is great.

X10 works great ONLY if you set things like...
                      1. good controller ( I have TI103 )
                      2. Repeater ( XPCR X10 PRO Signal Amplifier Coupler Repeater X-10 )
                      3. 240v coupler - not sure this is needed but i got it with an x10 grab bag in the early days and having it in never hurt anything so kept it in and my dryer plugs into it. now the interesting part is I do not have one of those fancy ones...

I do not have this one
                      X10 Smarthome Signalinc Repeater Model 4826A
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/X10-Smarthom...item35f2a5f548

but rather one with a 6' cord...
                      cant find a pic of it but it is what i use..

so with that.. X10 isnt going anywhere as i have everything from 14 or so 23890w 2 way switches ($108 on ebay), 19 MS13A motions ($77 ebay) and a mess of other things...

started this thread as I was thinking of venturing back down the insteon path but I am glad you replied and I agree on a few things you said.. I think insteon may go away and since I have zwave in (ztroller) I may as well go that route. I was going to suck it up and just get decora switches to places wife will not see (she cant even see them!!!!!) to free up my x10 switches but now that I see zwave toggles.. that is my new route...

other thing I agree with you is this... I talked to kaldoon (yes Jay is ALIVE) and he agrees that the industry is taking a weird turn as it is becoming more available to other types of people but it isnt there yet. Since it is opening up to others (non DIY people) more companies are seeing the need for technology thus newer hardware....

more to come...

Comment

This may be a stupid question but....
                        It seems the majority of people on here are talking about running either an isy or insteon hub as the controller for their insteon setups. Maybe I am missing something but why? Isn't HS3 Pro running on a PC or a HS3 controller all you need (along with a PLM)?

My plan was to run HS3 Pro on my PC based server with a 2413s PLM. Change all my light switches to Insteon, use the harmony plugin to synchronize activities with my harmony remote, and as I get the kinks worked out add more items (irrigation control, RBG accent lights, Door bell sensor, garage door control, zwave adapter and thermostat, etc). Is there any reason for me to be looking at purchasing a controller with this setup? The computer is a media server with battery backup that is always on.

Comment

Originally posted by just4plaay View Post
                          This may be a stupid question but....
                          It seems the majority of people on here are talking about running either an isy or insteon hub as the controller for their insteon setups. Maybe I am missing something but why? Isn't HS3 Pro running on a PC or a HS3 controller all you need (along with a PLM)?
                          Yep, that's all you need. I run a mix of Z-Wave and Insteon, and for Insteon have always just used the PLM. I don't really like the added complexity (and cost) of the Insteon hub.
                          HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
                          X