Best way to mount gear on wall by panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to mount gear on wall by panel

I'm currently finishing my basement. My current plan is to mount all of my gear on the wall in the storage room (just a bit away from the electrical panel). I'm just trying to decide what the cleanest way to mount everything to the wall is. Mostly I'm thinking about the wiring bits. various pieces (from router, to super mini-sized computers, etc will directly wall mount, and I have one large server for which i'll build a small shelf for. But all the wires that connect everything together will be snaking around the board, I'd like to keep it neat and clean. I could staple gun them down but I think that kinda sucks. What other ways could I do it?

paul

Is the wall cement or plasterboard?

Here in one home used one wall of one closet and three cans on plasterboard (very high on the WAF). You cannot even tell that it exists. It is behind two doors.

Have a look on Cocoontech. Many Cocoontech automation DIYer's / professionals have posted pictures.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

The wall is painted particle board (it's basically a storage/utility room). The rest of the walls are drywall, but the wall I'm using by the panel is partical board to facilitate the various utilities screwing things on wherever they need to....

Comment

If the ceiling is open still you can just run your cabling from the ceiling to behind the particle board. (guessing that the particle board is mounted on 2X4's?).

First thing that I really cared about before the LV cabling was new electric and lighting and separate breakers for electric. Here put in 2-3 circuits and breakers for two subsections.

Baby steps. First address the infrastructure that you will not ever move (electric). Make a drawing of what it is you want to do with the automation wood board today and tomorrow.

I helped a friend with his new home during construction and he had a utility room section on one side of the basement. (15X20 bump out in to the foundation) We used 1/2 of one wall for his LV stuff installing cans and plywood on the 2X4 walls (high ceiling).

Join Cocoontech, ask questions and have a read here: Wiring your new house 101

I am Pete_C on CT.
        Last edited by Pete; September 30, 2015, 06:50 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

My electronics "closet" is the closet underneath the stairs -- specifically one wall thereof. Everything is mounted to the wall. A lot of equipment comes with screw holes, so that stuff was easy.

For other things -- Roku, Tivo, NAS, etc. -- I used two resources:

http://www.hideitmounts.com

http://www.rackittechnology.com

Comment

Those links are helpful, for sure. Thank you. For the actual cabling, I could indeed go behind the panel as suggested by Pete, though I don't think I will do so, as that will only work for some cabling, and not for others (ie. cabling between devices mounted on the board. Also, I think it will make things more challenging in the future if I decide to move stuff. For the moment I'm thinking probably mostly cable ties for groupings of cables, perhaps those small ties that have a screw hole end for mounting with as well. Should be fun when I get to that point...

Comment

This is my nerf center. I used a pvc cable guiding system designed for large switchboards to guide my cables to The shelfs and power sockets.
              Attached Files

Comment

go to an electrical supplier and look at panduit. (do not go to lowes or home depot, or any other box store, they probably wont even know what it is)

panduit makes nice wiring troughs

Comment

Working...
                X