One for the books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for the books

Last evening just before going to bed, I heard a buzzing sound coming from the GFCI in the bathroom. It wasn't warm at all so I figured it can wait until morning.
    This morning, I went out to the local Home Depot and bought a new GFCI to replace the bad one.
    Didn't want to kill the power to the whole house so, one at a time I switched off the breakers I thought it might be on; the panel is quite old and not well labelled.
    Finally, found the breaker that shut off the lights and outlets in the room.

THE THING IS STILL BUZZING.

Not wanting to call an electrician for something so seemingly simple, I then turned off the main breaker... killing everything in the house.

Eight trips to the basement in all so far, and two to the garage for tools.

STILL BUZZING!!!

Checked for voltage at the outlet... None.
    Scratch head... Now considering calling that electrician anyway... scratch head some more.

Then, decided to pull the old GFCI and replace it anyway. When I moved things from underneath it; electric shaver, toothbrush holder, etc.; the buzzing stopped. <Face palm>

Found: In the toothbrush holder was an old battery operated flossing thingy. It hadn't been used in years and was pretty much forgotten; I don't think the attachments are even sold anymore. Picked it out and sure enough, found the culprit. Can't shut it off. Perhaps this is it's way of saying "Help, I need a new battery after ten years of neglect".
    It's in the trash now, still humming.

So glad I didn't call in help. I'd never be able to live that down.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Had almost exactly the same thing happen to me about 2 years ago. Had this weird buzzing in the basement that persisted even after cutting the power to everything in the area. Since I had recently installed a water valve, receptacle and sensor in that location (up high), I was convinced something was acting up. No dice. Called an electrician friend and he goes... "look down on the floor... could it be an old toy that's acting up?" Sure enough, I had kicked a bag of toys while installing my stuff and that started an electronic toy that had some battery power left.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Wow reading that I was in suspense...what is it...where is the dam power coming from...
      That is hilarious!
      Tom
      baby steps...starting again with HS3
      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        Had almost exactly the same thing happen to me about 2 years ago. Had this weird buzzing in the basement that persisted even after cutting the power to everything in the area. Since I had recently installed a water valve, receptacle and sensor in that location (up high), I was convinced something was acting up. No dice. Called an electrician friend and he goes... "look down on the floor... could it be an old toy that's acting up?" Sure enough, I had kicked a bag of toys while installing my stuff and that started an electronic toy that had some battery power left.
        I feel much better now.

Comment

Had a smoke detector constantly chirping low battery in house i had moved into. Replaced battery -no luck. Replaced it - no luck.
          Last idiot owner left an old battery one in the cold air return for me. Bet he was laughing when he did that!

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
            Had a smoke detector constantly chirping low battery in house i had moved into. Replaced battery -no luck. Replaced it - no luck.
            Last idiot owner left an old battery one in the cold air return for me. Bet he was laughing when he did that!

That's just cold! But a great idea for a prank.

Sent from my iPhone
            Tom
            baby steps...starting again with HS3
            HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
            HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
            Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
            In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
            System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
              We need a "Like" button.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                I had kicked a bag of toys while installing my stuff and that started an electronic toy that had some battery power left.

lmao about the "vibrating toy"
                HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

I had an embarrassing discussion once with tech support about a company UPS that kept beeping, it was in a weird place near a cupboard under a desk, and the beeping was random but becoming more frequent, no errors on the UPS or nothing, but kept beeping away.

I called tech support like 3 times, and we could not work it out, so after that they suggested to pack it up and send it to them, I pulled it out and started to pack it up and noticed a smoke alarm had fallen near the UPS, and because the battery was getting low, it was firing off the low battery warning.

I never did call the UPS company back (out of sheer embarrassment), but at least the UPS works
                  HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Working...
                  X