Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i drop a video feed into the screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i drop a video feed into the screen?

on my bathroom touchpad ( dont judge i KNOW you all have them ) I woudl like to play the CNN or local streaming video feed in a window on it using tstouch. has anyone else attempted this or done it?
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

You end up hacking VLC to the page (I think Pete has done this) or trying to embed web frames, neither are particularly pretty solutions...

Comment

would be great if a solution is found. I've tried to do this too but nothing worked right. I too have a tablet in the bathroom... I have one in every room. Some rooms have two!
      Bryan
      Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
      Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Via VLC hidden command line you can create live video feed any size any place on the screen. This works for me in XP embedded and works in Linux. HSTouch though doesn't work well for me in Linux though.

It is not pretty. You can create one screen which would be a bar on the left with control buttons and use the rest of the screen sized appropriately for the screen you are using.

Test it out by playing with VLC and command line method per button before using it in HSTouch.

I have tested Wintel XBMC/VLC in a small window on the PiPo X7 Windows 10 box and it works perfectly streaming live HD video today. The XPe boxes work really well at 720 or 480 live streaming and if I add a Crystal HD minipcie card I can stream 1080 live just fine with my Jogglers.

I am typing this message on a lite Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit build using a mini PC.

Streaming HD TV works just fine using KODI. Easier to stream CCTV streams with VLC.

Second picture is a VLC stream from one of two HD Homerun boxes. This is really plug n play as you just go the the HDHomerun configuration program and pick the channel you want to stream then save the settings you see in VLC.

Note this is Linux but Windows works exactly the same. (so does Android).

The 3rd attached picture is the configuration program for HDHomerun. Just click view here and it automatically opens up a VLC screen.

My MythTV box has two HDHomerun tuners connected to it, one satellite card and one analog video card. IE: I can stream HD and SD this way.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; October 12, 2015, 11:59 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I was just about to ask this same exact question for the same exact reason... news and a shower ...

I want to one up it though and to help with WAF, would it be possible to stream the local news channel from a DTV box onto the tab? This i know is probably asking too much, let alone how to get the audio to the WHA speaker as well and synced, but you don't know until you ask.

What other alternatives would we have? This to me seems like a key piece to making my wife happy with the fact I put a touchpad in all of the rooms in the house.

Comment

The easy solution here is to switch over to Microsoft Windows 10 tablet using the Baytrail quad core CPU. Well too you can run Kodi/Homeseer touch/VLC on Android. It is not as plugnplay though as pure Ubuntu Linux or Windows 10 tablet.

Using VLC via command line you can tell it to put the window anywhere, any size and it can be just the video with nothing else. For CCTV this works well too streaming from a CCTV server (here I use Zoneminder for similiar).

I also here record news for playback whenever on whatever redoing the stream such that it is tiny and portable with a little codec compression magic scripts.

would it be possible to stream the local news channel from a DTV box onto the tab?

yes and no.

From the internet you can do live TV streaming just fine today.

There are cable like live broadcast services in internetlandia today. (basic and tiered packages are sold).

Personally here do not watch regular TV. That said we do have satellite, cable and OTA.

Wife records mostly all of the content she watches. I do not watch anything she records. (never did).

I really only watch movies these days.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pete; October 12, 2015, 12:43 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The easy solution here is to switch over to Microsoft Windows 10 tablet using the Baytrail quad core CPU.
              lol if you think thats the easy solution, i would hate to see whats the hard one.
              detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Ok so it makes sense that it would be easier to do from a stream vs STB. So here is the other questions (and forgive my ignorance, as this is outside of my knowledge a bit), if a channel is streaming their morning news from their site, I could pull that stream and push it to my touchpad?

I am looking at this site kwgn.com and it has a button at the top during when the news is on to watch it live. My goal here is that the snow season is upon us and the wife has to drive to work and likes to see the news/traffic. This site does an update every 10 minutes so she likes having it on in the background.

Sorry collegeboy if I am hijacking your thread, but it was right on point with what I wanted to ask as well.

Comment

Yup; VLC is just an open source media player that ...

Plays everything: Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
                  Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed:
                  MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3...
                  Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix...
                  Completely Free, no spyware, no ads and no user tracking.
                  Can do media conversion and streaming.

It works on Android just fine.

I mentioned Windows/Linux because it is just a command line that you can define as VLC. It is really the same for Android.

easier to do from a stream vs STB

It is easy in one way because a stream can be just an HTML link. If you live stream a capture of your STB then that too can be easy.

Here is a HSTouch radio button audio stream that doesn't show anything and just plays audio. I use another HSTouch button to kill the VLC task.

"pathto\vlc.exe" --intf dummy-quiet hxxp://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/meta/live/mp3/eneuk.pls
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Ok so I was able to pull out of the website the URL:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/3...amp;mute=false

Right now its just a splash screen to be expected and plays full screen in my browser.

I tried to put it into VLC and nothing... not even an error. Is there a setting I am missing?

Also its been a while since I used VLC, but I am assuming i can install it on my server and have it push out the stream to my clients?

Comment

Yeah here tried with the Firefox browser and it worked fine. I then tried with VLC and it didn't work.

It is some custom streaming from a company called livestream.

but I am assuming i can install it on my server and have it push out the stream to my clients?

Yes. Have a read on the website. It does get very granular.

Have you tried the link in a box in a HS3 touch client? Way back here used a little script on the mothership for Adobe flash. HS touch would then play back the flash file. It worked but was a bit kludgy

Many broadcast streams now to utilize digital rights management. One news service is showing a live feed. When I click on the live feed to view it does a request to login to my cable provider.(or whatever cable TV provider you subscribe too).
                      Last edited by Pete; October 13, 2015, 02:51 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                      X