No announcement yet.

How to sell a Homeseer Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this thread got a bit off track with all the discussion about inspectors etc...
    I am in the process of selling my condo which is on the beach in Florida. Here most of the owners are part time. They really appreciate being able to monitor their home remotely.
    I dumbed down the HA and replaced my NUC with a Zee S2 .

I created an event that sends the realty agent a text message that says that "Someone has just unlocked the entry door" when she unlocks the door to show the unit.

The prospective buyers really likes this knowing that no one can enter their condo without their knowledge no matter where they are.

Lighting, HVAC, shades, curtains... are nice but in the priority list security is King. If you promote security and monitoring when you are selling your home you will find a large perceived benefit from the HA that you have installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby View Post
      I think this thread got a bit off track with all the discussion about inspectors etc...
      I am in the process of selling my condo which is on the beach in Florida. Here most of the owners are part time. They really appreciate being able to monitor their home remotely.
      I dumbed down the HA and replaced my NUC with a Zee S2 .

I created an event that sends the realty agent a text message that says that "Someone has just unlocked the entry door" when she unlocks the door to show the unit.

The prospective buyers really likes this knowing that no one can enter their condo without their knowledge no matter where they are.

Lighting, HVAC, shades, curtains... are nice but in the priority list security is King. If you promote security and monitoring when you are selling your home you will find a large perceived benefit from the HA that you have installed.

This is exactly my plan when/if we sell our house. I have a pretty sophisticated setup now with an SEL box, but would switch that out for a Zee2 box, remove most of the events, and disable others (outside lights on between sunset and sunrise) that could then be easily enabled. Would give them instructions on how to access the unit.

Our house *requires* some type of Z-Wave network. The irrigation system, a three-way switch, a couple of outside lights, and a bunch of light switches require Z-Wave to work.

Comment

Leave any installed switches and say that they're fully functional non automates but could easily be automated by the buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
          Leave any installed switches and say that they're fully functional non automates but could easily be automated by the buyer.
          We literally have lights that don't work without HS3/Z-Wave. Two outside porch lights won't work without HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
            We literally have lights that don't work without HS3/Z-Wave. Two outside porch lights won't work without HS3.
            I think I would just give them some remote control and directly associate the switches with the remote. Even the Zee needs a degree of technical knowledge and to many the mere concept of remote control switches is something like witchcraft let alone anything more automated than that.

Comment

As the younger generation would seem on the surface so technically literate to many in the older generation, one would hope that as time goes on, automated homes would be seen as more valued. However, even with the younger generations, they seem to know how to use certain platforms more, but they know LESS about how things work in many cases. It would seem that the more things change, the more they are just the same, and topics must appeal to the lowest common denominators in society. So I see that certain aspects of home automation might be seen as a positive to some, like already pulled cable infrastructure, structured wiring cans to organize things, and some common industry protocol switches like Zwave. Many others won't or don't care at all in the least, or don't think that far ahead. Then 6 months after moving in, they are trying to figure out how to get this or that to work, and go searching Amazon or Walmart for the easiest wireless way to just get it done.

On a side note, I wired my mothers home with structured wiring, with quad shield RG6 cable, Cat 6, and so on. There was a perfect ingress obvious from the outside where utilities come into the utility area where the structured wiring distributes from. When FIOS came along, I was not there to direct them, and my mother was busy in another room with some other tasks. They installed the FIOS inside power supply and battery backup near the structured wiring. Then, instead of using any of the multiple available coax cables in the structured wiring, they stapled new coax all the way around the house onto the wood trim, and THEN they drilled new holes in the brick to get the coax to the main TV, and the main bedroom TV. Needless to say, I was very angry. Basically, they damaged the home, and made it look ugly for no reason. There were existing cables there waiting to be used. I couldn't believe it.
              Last edited by Automated; January 24, 2016, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                As the younger generation would seem on the surface so technically literate to many in the older generation, one would hope that as time goes on, automated homes would be seen as more valued. However, even with the younger generations, they seem to know how to use certain platforms more, but they know LESS about how things work in many cases. It would seem that the more things change, the more they are just the same, and topics must appeal to the lowest common denominators in society. So I see that certain aspects of home automation might be seen as a positive to some, like already pulled cable infrastructure, structured wiring cans to organize things, and some common industry protocol switches like Zwave. Many others won't or don't care at all in the least, or don't think that far ahead. Then 6 months after moving in, they are trying to figure out how to get this or that to work, and go searching Amazon or Walmart for the easiest wireless way to just get it done.

On a side note, I wired my mothers home with structured wiring, with quad shield RG6 cable, Cat 6, and so on. There was a perfect ingress obvious from the outside where utilities come into the utility area where the structured wiring distributes from. When FIOS came along, I was not there to direct them, and my mother was busy in another room with some other tasks. They installed the FIOS inside power supply and battery backup near the structured wiring. Then, instead of using any of the multiple available coax cables in the structured wiring, they stapled new coax all the way around the house onto the wood trim, and THEN they drilled new holes in the brick to get the coax to the main TV, and the main bedroom TV. Needless to say, I was very angry. Basically, they damaged the home, and made it look ugly for no reason. There were existing cables there waiting to be used. I couldn't believe it.
                I was thinking this the other day - where are the young people on this message board? I'm probably one of the youngest (less than 30, just) here and there does not seem to be a particular influx of younger people obviously apparent.

Whether that is down to home ownership issues and more younger people are renting (and less inclined/not allowed to wire things in) I don't know but I do think there is a degree of what you say. People are not interested in how things work, only that they do work. Perhaps things have become so complex that finding out how is now not worth peoples time just they want it to work. I am a bit worried about platforms like HS into the future and guess that is why things like the Zee have come about but wonder if they need to be even more simpler.

Comment

[QUOTE=mrhappy;1223366 many the mere concept of remote control switches is something like witchcraft let alone anything more automated than that.[/QUOTE]

Lol!! So true. My elderly neighbors " he can control his lights like magic"

Sent from my iPhone
                  Tom
                  baby steps...starting again with HS3
                  HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                  HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                  Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                  In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                  System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                    Lol!! So true. My elderly neighbors " he can control his lights like magic"

Sent from my iPhone
                    I've got much first hand experience of this, I had a Pushover message the other day at work that the washer had finished and regrettably my phone was not on silent. Someone in my office asked who had text me, "the washing machine" I replied foolishly and then I end up with 10 people looking at me open mouthed like devilry was at work in my life. I now am thought of as someone who has conversations and an emotional connection with all of my household appliances...every time I have a text there is a chorus of 'toaster feeling lonely is it' type comments I have to live with.

Comment

I used to "automate" my play forts made from old cardboard boxes from large appliances with pieces of discarded Christmas light strings, switches found behind a nearby TV repair shop, and lantern batteries. Some people are just wired to want to understand how things work. Others never cared, and as you say just want it to work. Only now are we starting to be able to do things I envisioned as a child. The rest of society needs to get up to speed, hah.

Bringing it back to the point of this thread, as much as I have done on the house, my best hope would be to find a like minded person that likes all that. However, the appraiser and bank needs to also recognize the value, otherwise they will not approve a loan for someone for what it is worth. In my case, I would take half the hardware with me. Much value would probably be just lost, as the real estate, appraisal, and bank industries do not recognize it. Think about this when engineering something into your home. Be sure you can rewire or otherwise put things back to a way that the common tradesmen and various industries expect.

As an example of the above, I am currently finishing up a custom designed fertigation system. However, I have routed the incoming and outgoing pipes for the system in a nearby irrigation box. In this way, I can rip out the fertigation and just cut the pipes inside that box, and connect them together if we sell. The pipe stubs then left in ground and going to where all the fertigation equipment was, I will not care about.
                      Last edited by Automated; January 24, 2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                        I have some like this (my front porch eaves use Hues but are turned on by a switch via HS). However, in cases like this, I have done my best to make sure I can revert them to normally switched lights. I did this not only for resale, but in case something happens to me. I am writing a manual that my Wife can give to an electrician to remove all the HA if something happens to me (if she decides to).

As to permits (I know it's off topic). I once called on the code for burying electric to my shed I had built. The building department said (and I quote): "Why are you calling us? We don't care how deep you bury it and we'll never know either!" Basically they told me they don't care what I do (As a homeowner) and that I don't really need to call them.

I have done electrical and low voltage wiring in my house and never pulled a permit. I've had professionals come in and run power for me at times and they never pulled a permit. Perhaps we don't need permits around here for small work like that. When I had a master bathroom added on and my shed though, there were permits pulled.

Comment

The rule of thumb I believe is that a homeowner is allowed to do a lot more without a permit than someone you hire.

Here's a funny one, though -- in the suburb of Seattle where we have a house (Issaquah), you have to pull a permit for *low-voltage thermostat wire*. Even if you're not actually running any new wire.

our house didn't come with AC, and we added central AC. The contractor connected the white wire up in the air handler in the attic, and connected it at the thermostat. This required a separate permit (in addition to the electrical for the outside condenser and the mechanical work, which I get).

I always looked at permits as ensuring that it's something that if not done correctly could cause a major problem/injury/death. But, a thermostat wire? I mean, if they screw it up, the AC wouldn't work, and I'd call them. And that would be the extent of the damage.

Interestingly, we added a generator interlock to the panel and a hookup for the generator, and a T-valve in the gas line so that the generator could operate off NG. Electrical permits required, as expected -- but no permit necessary for the gas line. I was stunned. Granted, added a T valve isn't rocket science, but if it's done incorrectly . . . . Boom.

Comment

I was thinking this the other day - where are the young people on this message board? I'm probably one of the youngest (less than 30, just) here and there does not seem to be a particular influx of younger people obviously apparent.
                            I think its mostly down to disposable income and having a house. younger people are wither still living with parents ( try having a kid tell his dad he wants to start rewiring their home ) or live in an apartment where you REALLY have to be willing to violate the lease ( or have a good relationship with the leasing office ) to be able to start replacing switches and locks.

Disposable income is the other thing, HA can get expansive quickly, most younger people dont have that sitting around. So i guess its mostly retired techies or crazy fools like me on here
                            detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

It is a hobby here and like many hobbies mostly there is no ROI and mostly related to just the satisfaction of doing the doo of automation. It is difficult to sell a hobby and as noted here in the posts automation today is still very far from mainstream.

I do see that age thing creeping in. I have another hobby of tinkering with a couple of automobiles (well more than driving them). About two weeks ago had one car elevated on jacks while I was doing some stuff to the underbelly. I made it comfortable under the car using a rug and an old comforter and made the temperature in the garage just right. That said I did fall asleep under the car for a bit and never have done that before.

Wife today still will ask what the difference between an automated switch that costs > $50 and that manual switch which costs less than $10.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                                Wife today still will ask what the difference between an automated switch that costs > $50 and that manual switch which costs less than $10.
                                Pete, did you tell her about $40 and a bit of fun?

Comment

Working...
                                X