Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Systems in the UK

Hi

I'm new to Homeseer and seen that there are various security systems which can be used with HS3.

What I am looking for is some advice on which system are available in the UK at a reasonable price, it would need it to be a wireless system, which is the best plug-in that works well. I see HAI has been updated to use an Ethernet connection, although their systems seem very expensive at $700+ for the control unit.

What I would like to achieve is an alarm system that can be activated/controlled from HSTouch using the tablet I have mounted on the wall, so with the single button that I currently have which basically shuts down the house when I leave, puts the heating in to economy, turns music on for the dog etc I'd quite like it to also arm the security system at the same time.

Added to this I'd like to be able to use the PIRs that make up part of the security system to activate Events in HS, for instance bring the hall lights on between 11pm-Sunrise so when getting up in the night to go to the bathroom or the kids the lights come on very dimmed. I'd want to use the door and window sensors to also have a visual indication on the tablets home screen of what doors and windows are open or closed, plus I can use these events to also shut down the heating in individual rooms when windows are left open using the EvoHome system.

Thinking outside of the box, has anyone ever used HS as their security controller by simply adding wireless PIRs, Window/Door sensors etc that work with the RFXCOM Plug-in and Transceiver and created Events to monitor these? Not sure if this is even possible or the devices even exist or are compatible with the RFXCOM Plug-in, but would be interested to hear from anyone that has used compatible devices.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with their experiences and advice.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

I currently have a Visonic PowerMax+ Wireless system which has some X10 integration (I no longer use the X10), coupled with RFXCOM kit to work with the PIRs and Mag switches. Problem is that it's all one-way; Visonic to HS3. To get around this, I have hot wired a Visonic keyring remote control to an Arduino & the Arduino plug-in so that I can do all that you are looking for. (Alarm On/Off button or auto alarm on if the house is unoccupied for 30 minutes etc)

You could probably take any alarm system with remote controls and interface it if you can wield a soldering iron and some simple code.

Cheers
    Scott

Comment

Just a few of my thoughts...

Like Scott, I have a Visonic Powermax+ panel, a bunch of motion and other sensors including the very reliable Tower MCW external PIR's. I have the 868 MHz frequency devices and integration to Homeseer3 is via 2 RFXLAN units.

For a new installation this might pose a problem because I don't think there is currently an RFXCOM device capable of receiving 868 MHz Visonic devices and the 433 MHz Visonic devices appear somewhat more sparse here in the UK.

My integration is not full, in that the panel itself doesn't talk to HS3, rather all the sensors do (via RFXCOM) and the RFXCOM HS plug-in provides an alarm panel feature that basically mirrors the real panel. We always use remote key fobs for arming / disarming so the 2 are always in sync, however if you wanted to use HS to arm / disarm the real panel, you would need to do something like Scott and hard wire a Visonic remote to some other device so HS can control it.

My personal opinion is that wireless motion sensors (like the Visonic) that are designed for security purposes are not ideal for automation triggers. One of the problems is that if you have pets for example and choose the pet friendly versions (for security purposes) then often they just aren't sensitive enough to use for switching lights etc. Another issue is that often the sensor is designed to send an alert when motion is detected and then enters a (non configurable) sleep/reset cycle before it is able to detect motion again.

Door/window sensors on the other hand don't pose a problem because they transmit almost instantly on each state change.

With all that in mind, what I've done is to make use of the Visonic door/window and general sensors for automation events but use additional Z-Wave motion sensors for automation and leave the Visonic motion sensors for security only.

I think Homeseer is reliable enough these days to use as your only security controller but my concern would be power. A stand-alone alarm panel can operate for many hours (perhaps even days) without mains power, however you would need a pretty decent UPS to keep HS3 (and associated hardware interfaces) running for more than a couple of hours even with one of the low power Pi based units.

My take is that: My security system needs to work for up to 2 weeks (if we're away) even if the house doesn't have power but 90% of my automation stuff is pretty useless without power therefore I have invested in giving my alarm panel enough backup power for 2 weeks and all my other automation gear (like CCTV, HS3, RFXCOM, Router etc) can run for about 4 hours on UPS before sending me some notifications and all shutting down gracefully.

I have GSM backup on the alarm panel (in case the phone is down) and also my router has 4G backup so hopefully I should get some notification of any problems.

If I had my time again, I would install a hard wired security system with full HS integration. Something like a DSC or Texecom.

A new house build is on the cards within the next 18 months or so, which I'm hoping will give me the opportunity to do the automation thing properly this time

Paul..

Comment

Dear All,

I created a solution to interface a Visonic Powermax alarm with for example HS3, Follow this thread for more info;

http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=11129

regards

Bart
        Regards Bart
        ------------------------------------------
        Win7 64Bit on Intel NUCI7 with SSD
        HSPRO 3.
        Devices; 1370 Events; 691

Jon00 Scripts, JowHue, HSTouch, Plugwise, Z-wave, Ultranetatmo, Ultracam, PHlocation, BLUSBUIRT, MeiHarmony, Buienradar, MEiUnifi Pushover 3P, Random, Nest HSPhone and Blueiris

Visonic Powermax Alarm System (HS3) Interface: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=11129

Comment

I have a Cytech Comfort II alarm. There used to be a plugin for HS2 but there isn't one for HS3.
          I made up a small board using relays that connects to serial ports. That way I can get alarm states and other sensors reporting in HS3 using a serial porty plugin. Only one way!
          There is a zwave board for the Comfort alarm that I am considering buying to give me 2 way comms.

Comment

Does anyone have experience of the Honeywell Evohome Security Kit 3 in the UK? I'm hoping a plugin might be available....

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott, did you ever get an answer on Evohome Security kit integration? I'm (also in the UK) and considering the same conundrum!!

Regards,

Steve

Comment

I use the Cytech Comfort alarm also.

I wrote my own HS3 plugin for it that works ok, but I am not a professional software developer so it's probably not written well, and it's certainly not documented.

The Comfort system is very configurable in terms of inputs/outputs etc. so what I've done probably isn't going to suit all installations.

But if anyone wants the vb.net code I am happy to share it. I just haven't got time to improve the plugin so it's better for others or to support it if something doesn't work.

I can arm/disarm the system from Homeseer events, and the door sensors and PIRs are all represented as Homeseer devices so you can use them for occupancy or otherwise to trigger events.

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

My envisalink DSC Alarm I use in the UK is blooming awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Stevemeck View Post
                    Hi Scott, did you ever get an answer on Evohome Security kit integration? I'm (also in the UK) and considering the same conundrum!!

Regards,

Steve
                    Hi Steve. No, there doesn't seem to be a plug-in on the horizon. There's some work going on with the EvoHome heating by shill, so something might happen if the APIs become public. I'll stick with my Visonic for the meantime and see what is available later next year.

Cheers, Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X