HDHomerun users - please help me setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDHomerun users - please help me setup

I see Pete posting in other post and I didnt want to hijack the bathroom touchscreen thread... to which I do not have a touchscreen in the bathroom... LOL...

Ok so i didnt buy one yet but like the rest of you.. I have to do my homework first... I need to know it all and know what im doing to keep the WAF meter up.

I did this with Magic Jack... as my verizon $80/m lan line is gone...

anyway..
    HDHomerun Prime - 3 tuners...

I understand how it all works with media center, xbmc, xbox 360, xbox one...

all to which I have or can do... BUT!!!!!

**********WAF Acceptance field
    I have 3 x Samsung DLNA tv's (32" bedroom no extender, 40" living room with xbox 360 and 46" in family room with xbox one)

so xbox 360 and xbox one... no biggie...

now the kicker is for DLNA tv.. how does one see the tv guide? is there a way? I need to be able to have happy wife to have happy life..

although our non HD cable box in the bedroom has a tv guide but hard to get to so she doesnt use it so it isnt a big deal to me but it will be her ammunition...

anyone answer this and post up some pics?
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Pete I thought you would of replied by now... HAH..

anyway..
    also curious if you loose on-demand with these boxes? my family is a heavy hitter of on demand... but only 1 tv has it so no biggie as I would keep that box...

anyway... thanks for any info...

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Well now I use Kodi boxes as my STB's. The KODI MythTV plugin allows for live TV and recorded TV on the fly stuff. IE: recorded stuff removes commercials and you can watch live and rewind or pause if you want. There is a nice TV guide with the KODI plugin as I have a subscription to Schedules direct. (IE which covers broadband, satellite or OTA services all at once).

I stuck with Ubuntu 64 bit KODI boxes. IE: they are running KodiBuntu and while there is a lite GUI I never use it as I only have an IR remote control configured for Kodi.

I can remote to them and I do for updating stuff.

I use two HD Homerun tuners here, satellite card and analog tuner card (still) in the MythTV box. (also have Direct TV NVRs in place for WAF which replaced the DTivo boxes I used to have). I do not get any of that on demand stuff with MythTV. I can though do AOD now on the KODI boxes.

I use the MythTV box (but do not watch much television) and I kept the Direct TV DVRs going for wife as she gets overwhelmed by the KODI stuff. She records everything and I watch sometimes as she plays back 5 minutes of this or 10 minutes that and typically settles on the cooking shows / contests type of stuff.

The Jogglers stream live SD stuff on private in house channels and do stream 720 recorded mythTV stuff just fine.

IE: the LCD TV in the office (which is on a wall) tuner talks to HD and SD (in house) and has one KODI box for everything else attached to it. (I have disconnected all of the DVD / Blue Ray players now streaming all content from the NAS boxes).
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

hah thanks...

side note..I know you are using it the way you are... but..

do you have any DLNA tv's?
        if so can you simply connect to the tuner and have a tv guide?

i know we deal with what we have and it works.. if I need to I can put a PC in the entertainment center but I need this to be FAST and EASY... thus PC boot, login, load.... fire up media center, then go... will have a LOW WAF

im going to pick one up but first need to discuss the purchase (agreement on anything over $100)...

then set it up as another set top box from comcast with NON HD cablecard. My bud says you dont need a HD Cablecard as he doesnt have one in his HD Tivo and he gets HD...

so will start there and run in parallel mode to try and get things going.. and slowly transition if it works how I need it to...

Comment

I will never nor have ever plugged in a smart tv to my network. I will also never plug in a purchased media content player or streamer unless I have redone the OS on it to my liking - IE: cooking it just right...

ALL of the media content comes from HDMI or whatever the stock tuner gets.

I do also shut off the Kodi boxes when they are not used. But lately leaving them on. The MythTV box stays on 24/7. There is a common mySQL DB for all of the Kodi boxes so they are all in sync.

Yeah for the HDHomerun for cable you do need a cable card. There are ISP services out there (not comcast) that give it all to you without a cable card which is really nice.

BTW here in the midwest there are no SD broadcasts on cable TV anymore; its all HD and all of it even the local stuff needs a cablecard today.

Neighbor has kept the CC stuff and is at around $350 / month these days.

Keep the POTs line up as wife will not utilize the voip lines (have voip lines and one cellular line plugged in to phone patch panel). I had to purchase a flip smart phone for her which she keeps off unless she is making a phone call. I think she has texted maybe 5 times in the last two years with her smart flip phone. Well too we have had TTS in the house since the 1980's but it was new when she saw it on a television talk show a few years back.

The STB's are all commercial Aopen Digital Engines (they are not pretty - just black metal boxes) but I picked them up for $35 each in a bulk purchase. The tiny PiPoX7 running Windows 10 does OK with KODI but my preference is to run Kodi on 64bit Ubuntu.

BTW the KODI (AKA old XBMC) media center is levels above the Microsoft Media Center (which I used to run years ago).
          Last edited by Pete; October 29, 2015, 02:10 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

There is no such thing as WAF. If there is a concept of WAF in your home, then you have the wrong priority mindset towards requirements. As the designer of your own system, you should aim for a user experience level beyond what others in the home expect.

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah....

....here it is simple.

....when there is a glitch or I fat finger some automation event and get asked about it; I blame the computer or Homeseer stating that it has a mind of its own. It is a one sentence explanation that has worked now for many years.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

hah thanks for the fillin..

yeah this has lead me now over to plex... which can be free but needs to be paid for android, ios, win8, etc... grrrrrr

where does it end..

trying to start at the beginning but have the end vision in mind isnt easy...

Comment

Yeah Plex is a very customized with clients version of KODI. Plex transcodes on the fly or recorded material. Here do that with some scripting on the MythTV box.

IE: the picture on the HU displays in the cars from the carPC's are better via streaming from the internet than they are via HD broadcast with moving and tiny antenna. (note that I do not watch television while driving - but will watch streaming stuff if I drive wife to grocery store and wait for her in the parking lot and it is better than the cell phone or tablet cuz the HU is built in to the front console of the car.)

You can run windowed KODI clients on Android / Windows tablets / Laptops whatever flavour OS. Works for me.

There is a Kodi client for any OS or tablet which does work fine. You can change your themes with Kodi to make them OS centric looking whatever the OS is.

Attached is a snapshot of live tv viewing in a window on my Ubuntu laptop via a wireless connection which streams just fine.

Using the streaming internet TV or whatever streaming plugins you can also save stuff whatever it is for later viewing which I like to do over live TV recording stuff. Well too you can also just save your stuff to your own subbed cloud storage space DVR like with one service I use.

I personally prefer lately just to stream live or recorded stuff a la carte from the internet (KODI allows you to save the streams for later viewing).
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pete; October 29, 2015, 03:03 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yesterday testing the HDHomerun Live TV plugin for KODI and new software that they have released for watching live TV from their devices on just about anything. They are also releasing NVR software that will run on NAS boxes.

They also have released software for live TV watching on Android / Windows tablets. So with your smart TV you can just get streaming live TV from the HDHomerun boxes.

So you could just purchase an HDHomerun device(s) and use their software which will be reasonably priced.

This will probably entice folks to abandon Plex / MythTV / Sage or whatever and just go with the HDHomerun stuff.

Personally here have been recording much less stuff and just doing mostly on demand stuff with Kodi lately.

Not worth really saving anything anymore more on a NAS box (even though I still have movies, music and pictures on my NAS boxes).
                    Last edited by Pete; October 30, 2015, 04:45 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Rocking Plex here.

We still use a PVR as the one or two shows we actually watch, we want to watch when we want, not when they come on. We also want to fast forward all the commercials. Still using WMC with Xbox 360's as extenders for this. We only watch this about once a week, and WMC is virtualized, using HDHomerun boxes for tuners.

Comment

JRiver Media Center for me. Loving it!
                        Plugins:
                        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

J-River 21 Guide and DLNA

Jriver 21 here as well it does what telefragger wants out of the box. Not as versatile on other things as kodi and it is 50 us but the picture quality is better and way easier to set up and subscribe to tv series for recording. I tried to use kodi with next pvr before jriver but was to flaky and picture quality was terrible.
                          As far as a tv guide through dlna, I don't think its possible but I purchaced jriver then you can install clients on as many pc or tablet as you want as long as windows is present and tv guide is included. Hope this helps

Really wish someone smarter than me would build another Jriver plugin for Homeseer. I would be first inline!

Comment

now the kicker is for DLNA tv.. how does one see the tv guide? is there a way?
                            I have read good stuff about JRiver media center and it would work for Jeff's endeavour.

With a Kodi DLNA connection to HDHomerun just get the channels here and logos with no guide.

As mentioned earlier the HDHomerun folks are doing their own DVR stuff and a new KODI plugin for their DVR stuff.

There are many more options out there in internetlandia.

Yeah here running Kodi on Aopen Digital engines which use Intel Core Duo's and Kodi is running on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.

Just noticed that the new HDHomerun application includes EPG. Here is a demo. Trying it tonight here.

EPG is still free using MS. I utilize schedules dot org.

Read here about using HDHomerun and EPG.

The Baytrail Intel sticks modded today can run KODI just fine. Only thing is that is something you have to plug in to a TV.

You can also root Android if it is running on the smart TV.

I have no picture nor sound problems streaming live TV, internet media or HD stuff saved on the NAS box.
                            Last edited by Pete; December 2, 2015, 09:13 PM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

wow some nice stuff all.. thx..

so I was talking to a guy at work that cut the cord to TV.. still pays for xfinity internet, hulu plus, amazon prime and other streaming apps. This is all still new to me.
                              I told him I wanted to use http://www.mymovies.dk/ but requires a windows media center connection but is really nice. He then said.. Why dont you use Plex as that is what im doing and it works great.

so last night I tried installing Plex on my Windows Server 2016 Essentials TP3 (technical preview 3) and it was a no go. Then tried it on my HS3 box running Server 2012 R2 Essentials and it was a no go... some googling and found that yeah not supported at this time...

so I installed it on my windows 10 gaming rig and viola installed super quick. Launched it, pointed it to my server for movies and setup some collections and WOW IM IMPRESSED....

I went to my first DLNA Samsung 3d LED tv purchased a ways ago and the prime app was there (HDHomerun is not) and was able to use it. pretty cool and is connected via wire to my switch.

Then went to my newer 46" LED DLNA Samsung smart tv and im still confused.. tv is WAY newer but I hit the smart hub button and I dont get the full experience like I do on my old tv (seperate issue to look into) but I was able to figure out how to get Plex on it and same.. works great...

Fired plex up on my Samsung (notice a trend??? LOL) Galaxy Note 3 and ummmmm you have to pay for android app so I am guessing you need to pay for apple too as I wanted to test this then install on wifes ipad.

so far im impressed and now am eager to get a HDHomerun Prime now since you can now do Kodi (which I still have no clue about) which will connect to the hdprime box as you posted...

so still more questions..

1. Do you pay for Plex? monthly or go lifetime as it is only $150?
                              2. Kodi - seperate from plex but connects to plex and or hdhomerun?

Comment

Working...
                              X