This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gently Migrating

Gently Migrating over to HS3, although never will completely as two many scripts I require will not run on HS3.

Thought I had found a solution using Jonn00's HS2 to HS3 connector exe, alas it will not run stable on my computer!

Have managed to get all RF being received by both HS2 and 3, now just have to figure out how to get X10- into both programmes. Wondering if installing another X10 interface to HS3 would allow HS3 to pick up on HS2 transmissions?
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
      Wondering if installing another X10 interface to HS3 would allow HS3 to pick up on HS2 transmissions?
      That should work.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        We've poured a tremendous amount of time, energy and money into HS3 development over the past 4 years. HS3 has been, and continues to be an all-consuming, all-hands-on-deck pursuit for us, top to bottom. So, any post that questions the wisdom of moving from HS2 to HS3 is going to sting a bit... particularly when the post focuses on legacy support for technology and products that have not seen any fresh development work for decades! So, if my "1974" post seems a little snarky, well.. that's the context for it. I don't post a lot of snarky remarks; I guess I was due. Personally, I'm down to just a few wireless X10 devices (slim switches reporting to W800 via BLRF). I have removed all my other X10 nodes and purchased Z-Wave switches and sensors as replacements.

Having said that, we are aware that some folks are having issues with X10 under HS3 and that some features (like preset dim) are not supported. So, if X10 truly is your mission critical technology and it worked well for you in HS2, but not in HS3, I can understand why you'd want to stay on the older program. I get it.
        Hi Mark, well my system is predominantly X10 and your statement has really filled me with confidence, not.

HS3 is far superior regarding it's handling of z-wave, however, if it's not happy with X10 then it is a no goer.
        sigpic
        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          That should work.

Cheers
          Al
          Hmm, thought of a problem. Does HS2 actually transmit virtual\static and house codes above "P"?
          sigpic

Comment

Having said that, we are aware that some folks are having issues with X10 under HS3 and that some features (like preset dim) are not supported. So, if X10 truly is your mission critical technology and it worked well for you in HS2, but not in HS3, I can understand why you'd want to stay on the older program. I get it.
            Hi Mark,

Given that the code for the advanced functions existed in the HS2 plugin, what was the rationale for removing it for the HS3 version? It seems like with a little bit of development effort, these issues could be addressed. I too use very little X-10 anymore, but I still have some devices left which I likely won't replace any time soon. I know Wade is busy with other priorities which I know more users are asking for, but there has been some effort put in the X-10 plugins recently given that there's a new version of the x-10 plugin available. If there are no other development plans for it, why not open-source it and the HS2 version so that potentially someone else can pick up the ball?

Thanks
            Al

Comment

Hmm, thought of a problem. Does HS2 actually transmit virtual\static and house codes above "P"?
              Not sure what you mean. To control X-10 devices, HS has to transmit the house codes for the device to respond (A-P). Anything outside that range can't be controlled by X-10.

Cheers
              Al

Comment

. . .we are aware that some folks are having issues with X10 under HS3 and that some features (like preset dim) are not supported. So, if X10 truly is your mission critical technology and it worked well for you in HS2, but not in HS3, I can understand why you'd want to stay on the older program. I get it.
                Mark,
                Thank you. I've had a Bugzilla submission, and a Help Desk submission on this issue for some time. As far as I know, there has been no response to the Bugzilla ticket.

The Help Desk request was basically a question: "Does HS3 support Preset Dim and I'm missing something, or does HS3 not support Preset Dim?" The only response a received was from someone who did not appear to have any familiarity with X10 Preset Dim and was wondering if I wanted to create a button that would allow me to return to a previous dim value. While I interpreted that response to be, "HS3 does not support Preset Dim", your statement above is the most direct response I've received.

I hope you can appreciate that the lack of support for the protocol is disappointing, especially since the drop down list on the X10 tab includes 'Preset' and 'Extended', which led me to assume HS3 would provide equivalent X10 capability to HS2. I hope you can also understand that the failure to receive a timely and unambiguous answer to a direct, factual question about HS3 capabilities is very frustrating.

The obvious next question is, are there any plans to add support for Preset Dim to the X10 plug-in, and if so, when? I realize that may be a more difficult question to answer, but it would definitely help me understand the nature and scope of the problem I face.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Not sure what you mean. To control X-10 devices, HS has to transmit the house codes for the device to respond (A-P). Anything outside that range can't be controlled by X-10.

Cheers
                  Al
                  You have answered my question, thanks.

So there is no way I can get X10 codes (Virtual) above house code P across to HS3 from HS2.
                  sigpic

Comment

So there is no way I can get X10 codes (Virtual) above house code P across to HS3 from HS2.
                    X10 codes are 8 bits /256 addresses (16 HCs X 16 UCs). That only gets you to P (16th letter of the alphabet). What, exactly, do you want to transmit from HS2 to HS3? Do you want to issue a command in HS2 and have a device in HS3 respond?
                    Last edited by Uncle Michael; December 21, 2015, 05:27 PM.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                      X10 codes are 256 bits. That only gets you to P (16th letter of the alphabet). What, exactly, do you want to transmit from HS2 to HS3? Do you want to issue a command in HS2 and have a device in HS3 respond?
                      Ideally, I would like to be able to mirror HS2 device status in HS3.

Jonn00's exe does exactly what I require, except it will not run on my installation.

I had a memory crash, replaced the Mem and since then it will not run, crashes Net 2!
                      sigpic

Comment

I had a memory crash, replaced the Mem and since then it will not run, crashes Net 2!

Guessing you are writing about the Foxconn D525 eh Gordon?

You replaced the memory?

Mine is still ticking away running Homeseer 2 too. 24/7 with no issues.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If there are no other development plans for it, why not open-source it and the HS2 version so that potentially someone else can pick up the ball?

Thanks
                          Al
                          I would be 100% in favor of that. Of course, someone would actually need to step forward to do this. Any takers?
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

Guessing you are writing about the Foxconn D525 eh Gordon?

You replaced the memory?

Mine is still ticking away running Homeseer 2 too. 24/7 with no issues.
                            Yes Pete, the Foxconn, replaced the memory and it's back like new.
                            sigpic

Comment

Wow that is interesting.

Here purchased two Foxconn computers at the time. I also purchased two of the smaller Shuttle D525/4Gb computers right before the Foxconn computers. I made one of the smaller Shuttle computers one Cumulus server and the other one is my wife's desktop. Both of the Shuttle computers are still running fine 24/7. I am migrating one of the Shuttle computers over to being a RPi2 running Cumulus MX. I am doing that with one weather station today and it is running fine after a few months now.

One of the Foxconn computers is still running Homeseer 2 with the pico PSU and other Foxconn Atom D525 motherboard is in one automobile in a smaller case using a automotive style pico PSU. IE: here switched two automobile PCs to Atom D525's. I concurrently purchased the AMD Hudson equivalent to the the D525. It has 8Gb of memory and has been running my 8 drive NAS box now 24/7 since installation.

Both Foxconn cases originally were modded with the dual drive cage and pico psu's replacing the stock PSUs in them for more room.

I used the second case for another HS2 box putting a commercial style motherboard Intel Core Duo (laptop CPU style) in it which is still doing fine today.

Both of the boxes are still running Windows Server 2003 standard 32 bit each with 4Gb of memory. I did have one issue with the CPU fan and I replaced it. That was it.

Curious don't remember any more how long or old these are?

Just looking and it appears to be at the end of 2012 beginning of 2013.

There were a few of us here on the forum that purchased the Foxconn special that year right around this time. Thinking Rob (rmasonjr) is one. I am curious how many folks are still using the Foxconn today?

Relating to Homeseer 3 went to a new Intel Haswell based CPU / 16Gb of memory. It is running Ubuntu 14.04 64bit and Windows Server in an Oracle VB today. I use the Windows side for stuff I cannot run on the Ubuntu side of the box.
                              Last edited by Pete; November 16, 2015, 08:15 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                                Wow that is interesting.

Here purchased two Foxconn computers at the time. I also purchased two of the smaller Shuttle D525/4Gb computers right before the Foxconn computers. I made one of the smaller Shuttle computers one Cumulus server and the other one is my wife's desktop. Both of the Shuttle computers are still running fine 24/7. I am migrating one of the Shuttle computers over to being a RPi2 running Cumulus MX. I am doing that with one weather station today and it is running fine after a few months now.

One of the Foxconn computers is still running Homeseer 2 with the pico PSU and other Foxconn Atom D525 motherboard is in one automobile in a smaller case using a automotive style pico PSU. IE: here switched two automobile PCs to Atom D525's.

Both originally were modded with the dual drive cage and pico psu's.

I used the second case for another HS2 box putting a commercial style motherboard Intel Core Duo (laptop CPU style) in it which is still doing fine today.

Both of the boxes are still running Windows Server 2003 standard 32 bit each with 4Gb of memory. I did have one issue with the CPU fan and I replaced it. That was it.

Curious don't remember any more how long or old these are?

Relating to Homeseer 3 went to a new Intel Haswell based CPU / 16Gb of memory. It is running Ubuntu 14.04 64bit and Windows Server in an Oracle VB today. I use the Windows side for stuff I cannot run on the Ubuntu side of the box.
                                Yes, that is the first time I have known RAM to fail, and it took some time to discover that was the problem as it was the last thing I thought of.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X