General Question About Touch Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Question About Touch Pads

I moved up from S2 to S3 a few months ago. In S2 I had Main Lobby with a 7 inch (UMPC) windows PC which worked very well. I don't think that the Plugin for Main Lobby will work with S3 so I am looking for an alternative. I need something in the kitchen that will allow all devices to be controlled, especially those without a switch.

I have tried an iPad (version 2) with HSTouch but the connection drops a lot, every 15-20 minutes on average. I have the HSTouch program locked to the screen. When I wake it up it takes about 1 minute to connect for the current status and you have to fiddle with it a lot (change screens from the main one so it will update).

I did not have this problem with the UMPC, it always had the correct status and was very responsive. Is this just a limitation of HSTouch? Is there something out there better than an iPad which is reliable?

iPad 2 is from 2011. That is a old device. But even then, most of my issues were related to HSTouch rather than the Apple hardware.

I hope you are using the latest HSTouch along with having a good WIFI router. Newer WIFI routers can make a huge difference.

Also keep in mind that once the iPad goes to sleep it will disconnect from HSTouch to conserve power. It then is HSTouch responsibility to reconnect. There may be issues with the code depending on which version of HSTouch you are using.

Have you ever considered leaving the iPad on full time to test if it still disconnects? I have several iPad's (ranging from iPad 1's to the latest) and do not have this "disconnect" issue. But that does not help you.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
      Have you ever considered leaving the iPad on full time to test if it still disconnects? I have several iPad's (ranging from iPad 1's to the latest) and do not have this "disconnect" issue. But that does not help you.
      I will give leaving the screen on a try, it will be plugged in all the time. Background sync is enabled in the iPad. I am on iOS 8.x and have tried the HSTourch Server plugin versions 3.0.75 (version when I installed HS3), then downgraded to current version 3.0.68 and am now on beta version 3.0.0.78. I have a cable modem wifi router combo unit that came with the service and it is about a year old.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
        I have a cable modem wifi router combo unit that came with the service and it is about a year old.
        These are notoriously bad. Get a newer Cisco/Linksys dedicated router and you won't be disappointed. Check out this list of the better routers.
        http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I am pleased with Apple devices

I have iPhone 5s's, iPad 3, iPad Air 1, and now an iPad Pro.

They all disconnect regularly, and if connecting through a Web interface can take a lot of time to resume functionality. I upgraded my HS2 old HSTouch Designer and created 1 to 5 page projects for the various devices. The projects call for nothing but device status and control. I pull nothing in from the Internet and nothing from my ipcams. Video is handled by Blue Iris and BI apps to my devices, and the BI Plugin in my HS3 PC

When home I connect directly to local LAN IPs. I do not use MyHS at home.

Device Awake/Reconnect to full control using my custom client projects at home runs 1 to maybe 3 seconds on all my Apple devices. My wifi is a 4 year old N Dual Band Linksys for 4,000 sq ft on 3 levels.

My wife's iPad client project is 1 page, iPhone is 3 pages. She loves it. Only what she needs and wants to see, and not pages and pages of stuff she doesn't.

Comment

Rupp Is So Right

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            These are notoriously bad. Get a newer Cisco/Linksys dedicated router and you won't be disappointed. Check out this list of the better routers.
            http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp
            Even I you have to pay extra to have your provider or an independent hook up YOUR modem to your wifi router, it will be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by clay2young View Post
              I upgraded my HS2 old HSTouch Designer and created 1 to 5 page projects for the various devices. The projects call for nothing but device status and control. I pull nothing in from the Internet and nothing from my ipcams. Video is handled by Blue Iris and BI apps to my devices, and the BI Plugin in my HS3 PC

When home I connect directly to local LAN IPs. I do not use MyHS at home.
              I would like to know more about options to connect outside of myHS when at home. Am I also reading this correct that you designed it with HSTouch? I am holding off buying while I check out alternatives but it is on sale now at 50% off so if I need it, now would be the time to buy.

Here is something similar to what I had before. I had about 5 pages, all but weather were just buttons to control events or devices.

Comment

myHS connects locally when within the LAN. If you want to bypass my HS then simply get the ipaddress of your HS server and use that in one of the connection options for HSTouch.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have 4 android tablets and all are working very good. They stay connected properly even when screens are darkened. I tried the iPad and hated it.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                    I have 4 android tablets and all are working very good. They stay connected properly even when screens are darkened. I tried the iPad and hated it.
                    Is this because of how the iPad operates with HST3? Just curious. We have a couple of old iPads sitting around the house that I'm thinking of installing in-wall. The one nice thing about iPads is that there are so many more mounting options than other tablets.

Comment

This one was done with an HP Touchpad (Android OS) and a neat surface mounted frame he made: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1181976

Comment

MyHS on LAN vs myHS local

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        myHS connects locally when within the LAN. If you want to bypass my HS then simply get the ipaddress of your HS server and use that in one of the connection options for HSTouch.
                        Mine is slower, sometimes much slower reconnecting.
                        I don't really know why, just speculating, because it goes out on the WAN to myHS first and myHS tells it to go back and connect locally on the LAN IP?

And sometimes locally myHS fails to connect at all, and using the local LAN IP always connects.

Comment

Connecting direct to the LAN made a huge difference. The iPad still disconnects when the screen goes off but it re-connects very quickly now upon screen wake without having to fiddle.

Does it harm the iPad to leave the screen on if it is plugged in all the time. I have read both opinions on the web but would like to know if anyone has experience with leaving their iPad screens on constantly?

Comment

The issues I had with the iPad were related to the way apple locks things down. I don't jail break or root things, don't have patience or time. The iPad will always disconnect because it's a "feature" to save energy even when plugged in. It looks pretty, but is unreliable. You also can't have it turn the screen off and react to a motion sensor to turn on which was a key feature I wanted. Plus for the price of an iPad I can get 5 android tablets that are rock solid. Combine them with the tasked plugin and they are fully functional for my needs.

I am toying with the idea of setting up on Windows. I want a bigger main screen and just ordered an Elo monitor off eBay to test with that is 17 inches. Got it for 30 bucks so no real loss of it doesn't work out.

I have 3 of my tablets mounted on the wall with 3m picture hangers (Velcro stuck to wall). I am lucky that outlets are nearby so the cabling is clean. I did it this way to see if the wife and I even liked the idea, if not just remove and nothing permanent was done.

One of my tablets I modified a cheap picture holder from the hobby store to stick to the back of the tablet to keep it on my night stand. Looks clean.

Comment

All Apple devices will disconnect when they sleep. This is to conserve battery. I believe that there was an issue with IOS 8 where javascript would not execute after resuming. This has been fixed in IOS 9. I ran into this with the web version of Mainlobby, so if you are using HSTouch then this probably will not matter for you.

In regards to leaving the screen on. NO - it does not cause issues. I have several of them on 24 x 7. So does Apple in the Apple Stores. I have two iPad 1's that are on all the time and no screen issues and no battery issues after 4 years of being on.

There are many Black Friday deals for iPad's coming up. I think many retailers have iPad Mini's for < $200.

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
                              Connecting direct to the LAN made a huge difference. The iPad still disconnects when the screen goes off but it re-connects very quickly now upon screen wake without having to fiddle.

Does it harm the iPad to leave the screen on if it is plugged in all the time. I have read both opinions on the web but would like to know if anyone has experience with leaving their iPad screens on constantly?
                              HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Working...
                              X