HELP: I let the smoke out, can't figure out how to put wires back together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP: I let the smoke out, can't figure out how to put wires back together

I have two Arduino relay boards that control HVAC dampers. I was inspecting them, and one of them touched something it shouldn't have, and poof! smoke and fire. I immediately extinguished the flames and simultaneously jerking a lot of wires off the wall. I inventoried all the hardware, and it's good. I honestly can't remember how I had it all hooked up, though, so i'm hoping the brain-trust of this community can help me out :-).

There are two terminal distribution boards under the relays. There is a power transformer that connects to the relays via the distribution terminals.

Question: I cannot remember if the distribution blocks were connected via jumper or not. I am pretty sure they were not, but I can't bet my life on it. My hunch is that I had the positive from the power transformer connected to one, and the common/neg to the other (probably positive to the left one, if my guessing is correct).

any help from someone who is more familiar with relays than me would be very appreciated!

Ian
    Attached Files
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

I can't help you, but you have my sympathy....
    Don

Comment

It's probable that there is a coil supply connection, the board has that red LED that appears to be on suggesting there may be power to it already. With that amount of damage it's also possible you have took out components switching the relays, transistors most probably. I'd replace it myself, places like dealextreme do them for virtually nothing.

Comment

I should clarify that the arduino system is externally powered, separate from the power source that the relay switches. I tested the relays and they seemed to all work great. Still, you're right, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some transistors and replace them.
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Hey...look what I found! Thank you internet (and HS community!)

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=30
          Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
            I should clarify that the arduino system is externally powered, separate from the power source that the relay switches. I tested the relays and they seemed to all work great. Still, you're right, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some transistors and replace them.
            I meant the relay board my bad, the transistors/resistors look like they could be SMD so they will be no fun to remove and replace for the fact you can get a replacement board for relatively little - http://www.dx.com/p/8-channel-5v-sol...7#.VlwW0fnhCM8

Comment

Working...
            X