How to stream HS audio to another room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to stream HS audio to another room

My HS computer is in one room and my whole house audio server is in another room.
    Hard wired Internet/Ethernet connections available in both rooms hooked to the same router/switch and obviously same network.
    The audio server will accept regular RCA stereo analog audio input only. The rooms are far enough from each other so that any Bluetooth solution will not work.
    I used Linksys media bridge in the past for this purpose. However it became obsolete after I upgraded my HS computer to Windows 7. Apparently Linksys stops at Windows XP or Vista and doesn't support any newer Windows version.

The question is how to stream the HS audio from HS computer to the analog audio inputs in the other room.

Take the CAT5 from a spare port in both rooms and then couple it together (so as not through the switch), then use a RCA>RJ45 stereo balun on each end - http://www.ambery.com/strcaaubaexo.html ? Would that be possible or are they on different switches?

Comment

Thank You Mr. happy.
      This wouldn't be possible since the Ethernet connections in both rooms feed small 5 port switches that serve multiple computers/printers locally in each room.
      Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the proposed solution requires dedicated cat5 cable for the audio transmission only. I do not have the luxury of having one. True I have dedicated cat5 cables (one in each room) but they are used for internet/network connections that can't be abandoned.

Comment

You could do this wirelessly if you have a spare desktop/laptop? Load the speaker app on the laptop and have the laptops output go into the whole house audio.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I like Rupp's idea. You could use a RPi for a speaker client.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

How can you use a Pi for the speaker client?? I would love to do this as I have the same exact problem.

Comment

I like the Pi idea as well however HS Speaker client does not run on Linux.

Is it possible to install remote networked speaker in Windows the way one installs networked printer. Also the remote speaker has to be a Linux app in the case of R Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
                I like the Pi idea as well however HS Speaker client does not run on Linux.

Is it possible to install remote networked speaker in Windows the way one installs networked printer. Also the remote speaker has to be a Linux app in the case of R Pi.
                maybe some sort of virtual audio cable. seen some stuff on the net. sending audio from windows vbcable or hifi cable to raspberry pi with shairport. just some thoughts. I havent done it but it looks like others have.

some discussion here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=38&t=117429

Comment

Just checking, does the audio server run off windows? (install speaker client on it if it does.)

Comment

Isn't Win10 on RasPi not an option?
                    - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                    PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Isn't Win10 on RasPi not an option?

Not yet. No wait maybe a little bit?

Windows 10 IoT core

That said here using the original methodology of the Homeseer speaker dot exe mostly because of the Microsoft SAPI voice fonts and mixture of wave files provided by said application.

Today using Homeseer Wintel touch clients that run speaker dot exe for remote sound whether the client is wired or wirelessly connected to the mothership.

The mothership today runs in Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit Linux. On same box I am running an Oracle VB of Windows 32bit server (lite) for the wintel speaker dot exe program and other remotely connected Wintel only plugins.

I do also now utilize a PiPoX7 Intel quad core Atom (tiny thing) running Windows 10 for a new Wintel combination HSTouch, HS Speaker, Kinect and Alexa remote to the mothership computer and it works well.

Unrelated to OP thinking Microsoft now prefers to utilize the newer Intel SoC over Arm SoC's. (for the future?).

Windows on ARM lives on, even as it dies
                      Out go the Surface 2 and Lumia 2520, in come the Raspberry Pi 2 and a mystery tablet.
                      by Peter Bright - Feb 3, 2015 10:54pm CST

Windows on ARM has not been universally popular. When first announced a week shy of three years ago, the prospect of Windows running on ARM processors piqued many people's interest, particularly around what software it would be able to run, and what hardware it would be able to run it on.

That interest rapidly waned when it landed in users' hands. Windows RT, as Windows on ARM was branded for its release, could only run new-style touch friendly Metro applications, which were few and far between. The extensive body of traditional Windows applications built for x86 processors was, not entirely surprisingly, off limits.

With Intel forcing down the price of x86 tablets through heavy subsidies for its Atom processors, the limited appeal of Windows RT—"Windows without Windows software"—was further diminished. It's not altogether surprising, then, that Windows on ARM didn't take the world by storm. Microsoft quietly confirmed that it had stopped producing Surface 2s last week, and this week it did the same for its other ARM tablet: the Lumia 2520, which Microsoft inherited when it bought Nokia's devices division.

On top of all this, these tablets are apparently not on track to receive Windows 10. While Microsoft has said that extant Windows RT devices will receive some kind of software update and that they'll get some Windows 10 features, exactly which features and when is presently a mystery. We argue that they should receive the desktopless, pure Metro Windows 10 for small tablet SKU, as it would be a natural fit for a platform that can't run Windows desktop software anyway, but this might be a bigger effort than Microsoft wants to make.

All this seems pretty ominous for Windows on ARM. But other news this week suggests that there may be life in the, er, young dog yet.

Last edited by Pete; December 16, 2015, 10:09 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Instead of Linux, why not load Android on the RPi and use HSTouch as the speaker client? HSTouch works fine on android tablets and cell phones - the RPi should be no different.
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Doing it this way would keep you in the realm of Homeseer without any 3rd party dependences that you would have to concern yourself with.

Here today utilized a zoned audio system which is connected to Homeseer voices and wave files. There are speakers / zones in every room of the home (a bit over done these days).

Network cabling though is present in every room of the home and does go to patch panels in the central wiring area. This has been also a bit over done as I have installed cat5e to the bathrooms here too.

IE: the original telco copper wiring was done up here as cat5e a few years ago. The master bedroom did have one of these cables on an outside wall next to the bed for telephone use. I wanted a wired POE touchscreen on both sides of the bed and really wasn't interested in running two POE cables to the telco box. Here installed a mini managed POE switch in a box for multiple network connections. Works great for me today.

I have also embedded wintel HSTouch devices which function as Homeseer remote HSTouch screens and can function as independant TTS and Wave file devices remotely connecting to Homeseer. The only difference here relating to using embedded XP or Windows 10 is that each device can have it's own voices. I have been testing wireless connected embedded Wintel clients and they work. I do have these devices connected to their own AP on a separate network autonomously connected to the main home network today. As they are managed by Homeseer they have custom DNS names, static IPs and customized MAC addresses. Remotely I can do anything with them from the mothership using Jon00's remote control application. On Android you are playing back a recorded wave file that is put on the android device which works well. You can remote control them using the HSTouch application.

Personally here have never proxied the audio (speech or wave files) from Homeseer via a 3rd party plugin. That is just me though and the way I have set up my Homeseer stuff.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

How about something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-USB-D...d=p2141725.m36

Then connect a cheap USB Soundcard or extract the audio from a USB speaker.
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                              Instead of Linux, why not load Android on the RPi and use HSTouch as the speaker client? HSTouch works fine on android tablets and cell phones - the RPi should be no different.
                              I don't know about Android but I do have 4 iOS devices (1-st gen iPads) that run HSTouch clients and only one of four does produce HS sound. The setup is identical for all 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X