Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie questions ahead

Hello all,
    I'm a newbie to the forum, and home automation as well. I've looked all over for the answer but haven't come up with any updated information. Just wondering if someone could tell me the best email service to use when sending notifications/alerts from my events. I've tried yahoo and my local provider Cox communications. Cant seem to get any outbound emails. I assume they are being blocked. Thanks for any help!

I'm using a gmail account

tenholde
    tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo_ranger View Post
      Hello all,
      I'm a newbie to the forum, and home automation as well. I've looked all over for the answer but haven't come up with any updated information. Just wondering if someone could tell me the best email service to use when sending notifications/alerts from my events. I've tried yahoo and my local provider Cox communications. Cant seem to get any outbound emails. I assume they are being blocked. Thanks for any help!
      Are there any error messages in your logs? Also, for notifications, if you want to send them to an iPhone or Android phone, take a look at the Pushover plugin. This typically gives you faster notification (push) as compared to email (pull).

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Here for many years have had CC (cable) and Verizon (DSL ==> FIOS) email.

Relating to Homeseer mail in general have always utilize GMail or Microsoft Email and to date have never had an issue with said email and Homeseer.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo_ranger View Post
          Hello all,
          COX, like Comcast and many others blocks port 25. You should be able to set it up to work with Cox, using port 587 for non secure or 465 for SSL. Our ISP only allows SSL connections on outgoing port 465 and incoming port 995 (POP3).

I would recommend using SSL and you must use POP3 with HomeSeer.

Here are the Cox settings.

Incoming POP Port: 995
          Server: pop.cox.net
          Outgoing SMTP Port: 465 (SSL)
          Server: smtp.cox.net

If you are planning on using received email triggers, I would also recommend setting up a separate email account for HomeSeer in your Cox setup.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            Are there any error messages in your logs? Also, for notifications, if you want to send them to an iPhone or Android phone, take a look at the Pushover plugin. This typically gives you faster notification (push) as compared to email (pull).

Cheers
            Al

I got it figured out. Created a new Gmail address and turned "Allow less secure apps:" ON. Seems to be working with the events I created. But I am interested in getting push notifications from the Pushover plugin you mentioned. Can you direct me to some kind of thread or something like that so i can get some more information? Also, I bought the Zee S2, Isn't there a limited amount of plugins that can be installed on the S2?

Thanks!

Comment

From what I understand you are limited to 5 plugins on the S2. The thread is here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163974 and I believe the plugin is compatible with linux/S2.

Cheers
              Al
              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Comment

Working...
                X