PLM 2413S to USB Converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLM 2413S to USB Converter?

I'm sure this is covered in a thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Little Homeseer noob help please. I've been running the ISY for a couple of years now with Insteon and I want to start transitioning over to Z-Wave. This seemed like a great opportunity to also do a side-by-side comparison of ISY vs. Homeseer (personal comparison only, not a blogger etc.) So the plan is to get the Zee and a couple of Z-Wave devices - running both the Insteon and Z-Wave off a single Hometroller. My question is around the PLM for the Insteon. ISY uses the 2413S serial version, but the Zee only has USB. Has anyone successfully found and used a RJ45 serial-to-usb converter to have the Zee interface with the 2413S? Or do I need to invest in the 2413U PLM? Appreciate any guidance that from those that have gone before me.

I am also curious about the above. Anyone know if you can buy a Serial -> USB converter for the 2413S?
    MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Just about any USB to serial (RS232) converter should work. I have specifically used this one with the serial PLM, but this is on a Windows 7 PC.
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
      I like having the data lights, but a cheaper one without those should be fine. The USB PLM uses an FTDI USB to serial chip, any adapter with the FTDI chip should certainly work if the USB PLM would work.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
        Just about any USB to serial (RS232) converter should work. I have specifically used this one with the serial PLM, but this is on a Windows 7 PC.
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
        I like having the data lights, but a cheaper one without those should be fine. The USB PLM using an FTDI USB to serial chip, any adapter with the FTDI chip should certainly work if the USB PLM would work.
        Thanks for the info. For now I'm going to put in a serial connector on the back of the server, but I plan on moving Homeseer to a NUC which will remove that option. It's nice to know that I will have the option.

BTW, if I move it from Serial to USB, will I have to readd all the devices? I'm guessing I will as the PLM will move from Serial to USB, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.
        MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
          Thanks for the info. For now I'm going to put in a serial connector on the back of the server, but I plan on moving Homeseer to a NUC which will remove that option. It's nice to know that I will have the option.

BTW, if I move it from Serial to USB, will I have to readd all the devices? I'm guessing I will as the PLM will move from Serial to USB, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.
          If you change PLMs (even one serial PLM to another serial PLM) the links have to be reprogrammed in the PLM and in each of your devices. Mark's plug-in has a button to do most of this by itself (you still have to go to the battery powered devices) that makes it pretty easy.

(Adding a USB adapter to your existing serial PLM will not require you to redo any links.)

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
            If you change PLMs (even one serial PLM to another serial PLM) the links have to be reprogrammed in the PLM and in each of your devices. Mark's plug-in has a button to do most of this by itself (you still have to go to the battery powered devices) that makes it pretty easy.

(Adding a USB adapter to your existing serial PLM will not require you to redo any links.)
            Thank you very much @joegr for the information, I truly appreciate it!!
            MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Working...
            X