Win 7 - 32 or 64 BIT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win 7 - 32 or 64 BIT?

Upgrading and wondering which to use. Yes, I am one of the last ones to have XP still.

If memory serves, the general thought was to stay with 32 bit due to compatibility issues with items like Wave to Call and ATT Voices. But I need more than 3 GB of memory, so I am tempted to go 64 bit.

Any experiences out there?

Thanks!
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

I have been running Win 7 64 bit without any issues.
    Still haven't loaded HS Phone, but it looks like Way to Call has the 64 bit drivers:

http://www.way2call.com/scripts/open...are%20download
    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

Note that Homeseer 3 is a 32 bit application that runs fine in 64 bit Wintel except for some caveats.

IE: Directory structure, drivers, TTS 32 bit fonts.

Runs great windows 10 32 bit. I would recommend Windows 10 32/64 bit over Windows 7.

Currently run Homeseer 3 in 64 bit Ubuntu and an Oracle VB of 32 Wintel server for my TTS.

Here hardware is Intel Haswell i3 with 16Gb of ram and server is doing LAMP functions.

Built a same hardware Windows 7 64 bit Homeseer 3 setup here for a Homeseer user.

I had no issues with the 32bit installation of voice fonts on the 64 bit W7 machine. Also utilized a new M.2 SATA drive; tiny thing a bit bigger than my fingernail. I had some issues with USB 3.0 drivers cuz MS is doing a one for all USB thing and it would shut down the USB 2.0 stuff if at all. Just remember that Homeseer 3 is a 32 bit program and that typically plug n play 32 bit works fine in a 64bit OS. Some issues relating to hard static configs in INI or scripting.

This is where you kind of make the decision of modifying your set up to work fine in a 64 bit environment or just leave it be and run it at a 32bit environment with no special 64 bit tweaking.

I am today still running Homeseer 2 boxes in a light Windows 2003 32 bit server environment and it does fine.

Personally here went to 64bit Linux thinking it wasn't going run well. It does and I think that Ubuntu 64 bit running mono does run faster Homeseer 3 That is my personal opinion after years of running Homeseer on Wintel.

You can also make it run in your run of the mill MAC OS these days. If you are familiar with the ins and outs of the OS it should be no issue to make Homeseer run on MAC Mono.
      Last edited by Pete; December 12, 2015, 03:54 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets - Asus AIO

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
      X