Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave VDC Meter

People,

Newbee to the forum. Here is my problem. I have several large solar panels that charge a couple of semi batteries for outside lighting. Every so often we have gloomy weather over a couple of days which brings the battery health severely low. The solution I seek is a z-wave sensor that measures direct current voltage (vdc), a c voltmeter with a z-wave radio. From that point I can schedule zones dependent upon batter voltage.

J

jsyers, welcome to the HomeSeer forum! Always happy to see new folks here. You'll find a very welcoming community here.

As for your question, I haven't ever seen a Z-Wave DC voltmeter. Does it have to be Z-Wave? I'm thinking if you're handy with a soldering iron you could put together a simple circuit and an Arduino or other microcontroller.

http://www.electroschematics.com/935...tal-voltmeter/
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Depending on the max voltage being measured you could use the MIMOlite directly or if > 24V create a simple voltage divider circuit...

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Fort...ace-P1683.aspx

Paul..

Comment

I was thinking of the MIMOLite as a solution as well. It permits an input voltage to be detected (analog), and that could be perhaps what you're after.

Comment

Comment

You could have one of the many z-wave binary sensors that accept a contact closure input then put together some quick op amp type circuit that closed the contacts at a specified voltage.

An Arduino would probably serve the same purpose and you could just sample one of the ADC inputs (with appropriate protection to bring it down from 12V) and send the data in along the serial port into HS. You would then get a value of the voltage which could be more useful than a high/low.

Comment

Do a search for Mimolite PDF (actually, the Fortrezz web site is probably the best option). You'll see the manual, which will indicate how it reads analog voltages.

I'm just using it as a binary sensor, and I've been very pleased with the two I have -- one to detect a doorbell closure (via an Elk doorbell detector) and the second to sense when the garage door is closed (via a reed switch) and also to control the garage door.

Comment

Mimolite on it's way here...

Comment

Originally posted by jsyers View Post
                  Mimolite on it's way here...
                  Good luck! Keep us posted.

Comment

People,

Got the FortrezZ MimoLite installed and attached to the z-net network. I have a 12vdc line running to the input for signal (+-) but I am at a loss on how to apply the six groups in the MimoLite instructions. In particular the values for voltages that I received from Mike at FortrezZ. Signal 12VDC is 3372 into HS3.

J

Comment

Working...
                    X