Multi Sensor 6(Aeon Labs) OUTSIDE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi Sensor 6(Aeon Labs) OUTSIDE?

I'm looking for a good motion sensor for outside use and have noticed that the new Multi Sensor 6 from Aeon Labs is rated for outside use; Except they note in their literature that the "motion" feature should be disabled when using outside????

I e-mailed Aeon and they responded that the PIR motion sensor was sensitive to sunlight. Well, all PIR's are sensitive to sunlight and they could note explain further.

Is anyone using the Multi Sensor 6 outside in sunlight controlled areas and at night? If so please respond with the performance your seeing(range, angle, false+and-'s, other comments). Thank you.

BobSpen

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
    I'm looking for a good motion sensor for outside use and have noticed that the new Multi Sensor 6 from Aeon Labs is rated for outside use; Except they note in their literature that the "motion" feature should be disabled when using outside????

I e-mailed Aeon and they responded that the PIR motion sensor was sensitive to sunlight. Well, all PIR's are sensitive to sunlight and they could note explain further.

Is anyone using the Multi Sensor 6 outside in sunlight controlled areas and at night? If so please respond with the performance your seeing(range, angle, false+and-'s, other comments). Thank you.

BobSpen
    I had two of them facing my driveway at a sharp downward angle, set the sensitivity at minimum and they still false triggered a lot - day and night. To their defense, other Z-Wave and hardwired motion sensors false triggered as well. I don't think they are a very good choice for outdoor motion.

The thing I finally found to work on my driveway with nearly 100% accuracy were Bosch hardwired Tritech sensors. They use microwave and PIR and will only register motion when both technologies see motion. They are 100% at detecting people and vehicles that get within 15 feet and do not trigger on trees, temperature changes, sunlight or cars going by in front of the house.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thank for this Randy.
      Is this the one you're using and could it be connected to z-wave door sensor so motion can go straight to HS?
      http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BDL2-WP1.../dp/B0056Z3W6I

Sent from my iPhone
      Tom
      baby steps...starting again with HS3
      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Does anyone know of a Z-Wave version of that? I too had very bad results from using an Aeon Labs Z-Wave motion detector on my covered porch. There is simply too much going on thermal wise for it to be accurate. I would love to find a wireless version that works under those conditions but so far no luck. I just want something to tell when the UPS guy leaves something at my door, it doesn't need to be high security.

Comment

I have two of the Aeon's out front on my driveway (one on the left and one on the right)... what I did to get past the false alerts (for the most part... they do happen on occasion) was created a virtual device that would trip on if both sensors were tripped. I still do get some false alerts here and there... but for me its solid enough that I can trigger the front lights off it.

I am curious about the sensor Randy posted... how are you connecting this? Arduino? I can see this and a wireless arduino being a good combo.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
            Thank for this Randy.
            Is this the one you're using and could it be connected to z-wave door sensor so motion can go straight to HS?

Sent from my iPhone
            http://www.amazon.com/BOSCH-SECURITY...T6Y7P826H28ZRP

Same sensor, but with Prime... save you 5 bucks after considering shipping cost.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
              I have two of the Aeon's out front on my driveway (one on the left and one on the right)... what I did to get past the false alerts (for the most part... they do happen on occasion) was created a virtual device that would trip on if both sensors were tripped. I still do get some false alerts here and there... but for me its solid enough that I can trigger the front lights off it.

I am curious about the sensor Randy posted... how are you connecting this? Arduino? I can see this and a wireless arduino being a good combo.
              Yes, Arduino with a Bosch sensor. They make a model with 20' coverage and another with 40' coverage. I opted for the shorter range model from Amazon. They are not outdoor rated, but they are tucked up under an eave and should be fine. I'm using DSC PIRs inside. The Arduino inputs are very fast.

I am toying the idea of going with a DSC panel and an Envisalink IP board with Spud's plug-in, but have a lot to learn.
              Last edited by randy; December 15, 2015, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                Thank for this Randy.

Sent from my iPhone
                This is the one I am using. It has a short range of 20 feet. They have NC contacts, but could probably work with a door sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunneyk View Post
                  Does anyone know of a Z-Wave version of that? I too had very bad results from using an Aeon Labs Z-Wave motion detector on my covered porch. There is simply too much going on thermal wise for it to be accurate. I would love to find a wireless version that works under those conditions but so far no luck. I just want something to tell when the UPS guy leaves something at my door, it doesn't need to be high security.
                  There isn't a Z-Wave dual sensor detector that I know of. If they made one it would have to be powered as the microwave detector is active and would eat batteries. You could use a MimoLite or similar to input the NC contacts into HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                    http://www.amazon.com/BOSCH-SECURITY...T6Y7P826H28ZRP

Same sensor, but with Prime... save you 5 bucks after considering shipping cost.
                    I think that is the 40' model. Same sensor as I used but with a longer range.

Comment

The suggestion someone made above actually is good -- hook up the desired PIR sensor to a Z-Wave closed contact sensor (I.e., a simple door sensor). I believe Aeon now makes one expressly for this purpose, but Evolve/Everspring (can't recall which) has a "door sensor" that has two screw terminals to hook up a different sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                        The suggestion someone made above actually is good -- hook up the desired PIR sensor to a Z-Wave closed contact sensor (I.e., a simple door sensor). I believe Aeon now makes one expressly for this purpose, but Evolve/Everspring (can't recall which) has a "door sensor" that has two screw terminals to hook up a different sensor.
                        I have seen this Fibaro door/window sensor with extra sensor connectors.

Comment

I've been using the Ancient Everspring door sensors(in outdoor enclosure) connected to a Overhead Garage Door Contacts(see pic) on my drive in gate and walkin gate. These are about 200 ft from my controller and are almost instant with the z-net. The Overheard Door Contacts can take the beating of the weather and still perform. The other advantage of the Overhead door Contacts is the gap between sensor and magnet can be as much as 3-4 inches and still works.
                          Also most Z-wave door sensors I've seen, Everspring, Aeon, Ecolink, etc seems to have screw terminals so you can connect external contact closures to them.

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                          Tom

Comment

Thanks Randy, Ok found the manual.
                            Normally Closed, with 9-15VDC for the power. Should be able to hook up to inexpensive z-wave door sensor and provide power via wall wart.

You're always very through I've noticed before you implement things. This could possibly the holy grail of outdoor motion I've been searching for sometime. Thank you!
                            Originally posted by rprade View Post
                            This is the one I am using. It has a short range of 20 feet. They have NC contacts, but could probably work with a door sensor.
                            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              I had two of them facing my driveway at a sharp downward angle, set the sensitivity at minimum and they still false triggered a lot - day and night. To their defense, other Z-Wave and hardwired motion sensors false triggered as well. I don't think they are a very good choice for outdoor motion.

The thing I finally found to work on my driveway with nearly 100% accuracy were Bosch hardwired Tritech sensors. They use microwave and PIR and will only register motion when both technologies see motion. They are 100% at detecting people and vehicles that get within 15 feet and do not trigger on trees, temperature changes, sunlight or cars going by in front of the house.
                              Does anyone use X10RF MS16A sensors outside? I'm wondering how good they are outside. I use about 12 of them in the house and am starting to displace them with the Aeon multi-sensors. I was hoping to transfer the MS16As outside and remove my dumb motion sensing security lights and replace with attractive lights controlled by some discreet MS16As. They seem to work quite reliably indoors.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                              Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                              Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Working...
                              X