Control from Powerpoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all -

Just an update that I got this all working "good enough" and that the presentation (Children's Christmas Program) went off without a hitch, well, at least the presentation and lighting controls. I'll use the controls again for Christmas Eve.

Here is what I did, and the issues I had (and still have).

I submitted the commands using PowerShell. This entailed creating a shortcut with the PowerShell command and then inserting the shortcut into the presentation as an OLE object. I then set an animation on the object to have it run with previous, which essentially ran it when the slide came up. On click does NOT work well. The animation can have a delay set in it if you don't want the lighting control to be immediate. NOTE: if you are running audio, run the lighting control first, then start the audio. Otherwise you might get a stutter in the sound.

There is a security message that pops up when you run the command is executed. I was able to get rid of this by changing a security setting in IE (or go into Control Panel and set it in the Internet settings). This setting is to allow questionable content to be run without a prompt. I'm not going to document the exact setting here, so let me know if you want more info. A better solution is probably to use https, but I couldn't get that to work and ran out of time trying.

On the HS3 side, I created an event for each light setting. The JSON command then triggers that event. As a side note, for testing I created virtual objects that I labelled as "Trigger" (I also have objects labelled "Virtual"). I then had the event trigger when the object was turned ON (same event that JSON triggers), and turned the object back off as part of the event handling. This worked well for testing, but also allows for the events to be run manually, and can filter on "Trigger" to get a usable screen in HS3.

Let me know if you want more details.

David

Comment

On my site, I have an application called "Jon00 Tray Control" which provides the ability to run Homeseer events from Windows shortcuts (among others). I did drop a desktop shortcut into Powerpoint and it works fine. Because of the security pop-up and registry hack necessary to get rid of it, I never posted.
      Jon

Comment

Thanks, Jon.....can you post a link? I'd like to take a look at it. I still need to simplify this for other users, and this might help. This is at a church, and it would be nice if I didn't have to get involved every time someone wanted a lighting control in a presentation.

I was able to turn off the pop-up without a registry edit. The annoying thing is that Windows/Office considers this access and "internet" when the service is clearly on the local network (which would/should not need a pop-up). Did you try running the commands via the https port?

David

Comment

Jon -

I was able to get to your HomeSeer site, but don't see where the application is.

David

Comment

Select Downloads from the top menu, Homeseer 3 then select the "Utility related" link on the left-hand side when the page loads.
            Jon

Comment

Found it! I'll give it a try.

Comment

Working...
              X