ZWN-BPC PIR Sensor Z-wave Device Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZWN-BPC PIR Sensor Z-wave Device Problem

I just received two new Z-wave ZWN-BPC Ceiling Mounted, Battery Powered PIR Sensors from The Smartest House. I already have some of these any they work fine but the new ones are not working. They seem to be a different firmware and manufacturer. They show up as a POWER SWITCH MULTILEVEL instead of the normal ROUTING SENSOR BINARY on the node information page (see attached image - Nodes 5 & 7 are the new units and Node 8 is what the other working units show for the same product).

Here are the log entries from when I tried to add them with the Z+ Tool:

Dec-22 2:03:41 PM Z-Wave Warning SmartStick+: HomeSeer device with reference ID 155 no longer exists - removing corresponding objects from the plug-in data.
    Dec-22 2:03:40 PM Z-Wave Setting a polling interval of 20 Minutes, 16 Seconds on device Z-Wave Sigma Switch Multilevel Node 7
    Dec-22 2:03:33 PM Z-Wave Getting association information for Z-Wave Sigma Switch Multilevel Node 7
    Dec-22 2:03:27 PM Z-Wave Getting association information for Z-Wave Sigma Switch Multilevel Node 7
    Dec-22 2:03:12 PM Z-Wave Setting a polling interval of 20 Minutes, 14 Seconds on device Z-Wave Sigma Switch Multilevel Node 5
    Dec-22 2:03:03 PM Z-Wave Warning Error getting version information for node 7, Send failed.
    Dec-22 2:02:57 PM Z-Wave Warning Node 7 supports the MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC command class but manufacturer information was not obtained. Cannot continue with this node.
    Dec-22 2:02:46 PM Z-Wave Node: 7 Controls Class(es): BASIC, SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_V2, BASIC_WINDOW_COVERING
    Dec-22 2:02:46 PM Z-Wave Node: 7 Supports Class(es): SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_V2, SWITCH_ALL, ASSOCIATION, POWERLEVEL, CONFIGURATION, VERSION_V2, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC
    Dec-22 2:02:46 PM Z-Wave Warning Error getting version information for node 5, Send failed.
    Dec-22 2:02:37 PM Z-Wave Warning Node 5 supports the MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC command class but manufacturer information was not obtained. Cannot continue with this node.
    Dec-22 2:02:26 PM Z-Wave Node: 5 Supports Class(es): BASIC, SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_V2, SWITCH_ALL, VERSION_V2, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC
    Dec-22 2:02:05 PM Z-Wave Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 2
    Dec-22 2:02:05 PM Z-Wave Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
    Dec-22 2:02:05 PM Z-Wave Found 14 Z-Wave nodes
    Dec-22 2:02:05 PM Z-Wave Getting Z-Wave node list for network DB2794A0...
    Dec-22 2:02:04 PM Z-Wave SmartStick+: Controller firmware version: 4.32

Is it possible to make these work or is my only option to return them? The Z-Tool+ will not let me remove them so I can try to re-include, it just cycles on the message to press the programming button to remove device. I have restarted the computer hosting Homeseer, the Homeseer application and removed batteries from devices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigma.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1208817
    Last edited by Planetview; December 28, 2015, 03:38 AM. Reason: fix broken link. Update title.

I should also add my system information:

MESSAGE BOARD (copy/paste section below to message board posts)

Current Date/Time: 12/22/2015 6:28:33 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.208
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Bing - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 4 Hours 28 Minutes 47 Seconds
    IP Address: 10.0.0.25
    Number of Devices: 51
    Number of Events: 69

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.22.0: BLBackup
    3.0.0.78: HSTouch Server
    3.0.0.39: weatherXML
    3.0.0.36: X10
    3.0.1.25: Z-Wave

Comment

Ok, it's one of those days ugh... hate them.

In my experience when you're having problems, do everything on a computer, and put aside the z-tool.

Ok first Restart your hs3 just in case your z-wave plugin is stuck.

second try to go into the device utility page( advance, and z-wave tabs).
      Wake up the device
      Under device Z-wave tab do a, Test Connectivity, if then do a Rescan.
      Each step takes time, so be patient. Watch the log so you can see it the device adds child devices, etc.

If that doesn't work. Then its best to remove and re-add.
      Again on the computer, not z-tool.
      Wake up the device and have it right next to controller.

Plugins > Z-wave > Controller Management > Click your Controller/Interface > Remove Device.

Then Restart your Controller (Restart This Interface)

Next Wake up your device( while next to controller)

Plugins > Z-wave > Controller Management > Click your Controller/Interface > Add Device Non Secure

Look at logs and see if it adds properly.
      Look at device management page and see if all child device added.
      If not do a RESCAN while device is awake.
      Tom
      baby steps...starting again with HS3
      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
        Ok, it's one of those days ugh... hate them.

In my experience when you're having problems, do everything on a computer, and put aside the z-tool.

Ok first Restart your hs3 just in case your z-wave plugin is stuck.

second try to go into the device utility page( advance, and z-wave tabs).
        Wake up the device
        Under device Z-wave tab do a, Test Connectivity, if then do a Rescan.
        Each step takes time, so be patient. Watch the log so you can see it the device adds child devices, etc.

If that doesn't work. Then its best to remove and re-add.

Plugins > Z-wave > Controller Management > Click your Controller/Interface > Remove Device.

Plugins > Z-wave > Controller Management > Click your Controller/Interface > Add Device Non Secure

Look at logs and see if it adds properly.
        Look at device management page and see if all child device added.
        If not do a RESCAN while device is awake.
        Thanks for the information, I have been using X10 so I did not know how to add z-wave devices manually and appreciate the information. I have not had a chance to work on it yet but will try this weekend and post results. I heard back from The Smartest House and their return policy is 30 days so that gives me some extra time to try and sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
          Then its best to remove and re-add.

The process quoted above worked for both units. YEA! Thank you so much!

Comment

Glad it worked out.
            Tom
            baby steps...starting again with HS3
            HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
            HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
            Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
            In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
            System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

I will also add for anyone having trouble in the future that comes across this thread: if you remove the batteries when the unit is in active motion it will stop communicating with the hub after you put in new batteries. You will need to either remove batteries when there is no motion or remove and re-add to the z-wave network. I thought the unit was defective at first but it has happened with three so far and re-adding them to the z-wave network fixed the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
                I will also add for anyone having trouble in the future that comes across this thread: if you remove the batteries when the unit is in active motion it will stop communicating with the hub after you put in new batteries. You will need to either remove batteries when there is no motion or remove and re-add to the z-wave network. I thought the unit was defective at first but it has happened with three so far and re-adding them to the z-wave network fixed the issue.
                That is bizarre, but good information to know! Sounds like a poorly programmed firmware . . . which is not that surprising sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                  That is bizarre, but good information to know! Sounds like a poorly programmed firmware . . . which is not that surprising sadly.
                  I have 7 of these now, only the last 3 have done it and the packaging is different for those so I wonder if it is a new version or manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                  X