USB to serial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB to serial

I'm trying to connect a devices to HS true serial connection but don't have any serial connections left on my PC. I did find a USB to serial cable in my box of junk. I connected the PC to the devices with this cable. Wen i go to device manager on my PC under other devices I see "USB-Serial Controller". When i click on it it says drivers for this device are not installed. Were can a get a driver for this?

There's a few different chipsets/drivers out for them. Any pics/details of yours?

Comment

If you mean picture of the cable i try uploading one in this post but it keeps telling me upload failed. Not sure why as I have uploaded pictures before with no problem. No other info. Must have came with something I bought but don't remember what.

Comment

It also depends on your OS as well. Windows 10 (and maybe 8 as well) don't support some of the older chipsets. Off the top of my head I want to say Prolific won't work, although I could be wrong about which ones. I had to buy a couple of new USB/Serial converters after I upgraded.

Comment

Right click the device in device manager, go into properties and click details. Look in the Hardware ID section and post your PID and VID (or search on google for them) which will hopefully show which chipset you should use. Prolific 2303, CH340, CP2102, FT232 are some of the most common chipsets out there but there are hundreds with differing levels of support. Some Prolific releases no longer play nicely with Win 10.

Comment

Well, if you just want to start trying something. Look for drivers for the following USB-Serial:
            FTDI
            CP2102 (SiLabs)
            PL2303 (Prolific)

Just guessing unless you can narrow it down. Have a look in device manager for it for a VID/PID identifier.

Comment

I'm on windows 7. When i go on the detail tab all I see is "USB Composite Device".

Also I just realized that I have to available serial connectors on my global cache GC-100. Did a search but didn't find any info on how to use them. This would be another option if i can get to work.

Comment

Originally posted by freeon View Post
                I'm on windows 7. When i go on the detail tab all I see is "USB Composite Device".

Also I just realized that I have to available serial connectors on my global cache GC-100. Did a search but didn't find any info on how to use them. This would be another option if i can get to work.
                Do you have a drop down and in the drop down do you have one saying Hardware ID's? If so note and post the VID and PID numbers that will appear in the value field.

Comment

USB\VID_067B&PID_2303&REV_0300
                  USB\VID_067B&PID_2303

Comment

Originally posted by freeon View Post
                    USB\VID_067B&PID_2303&REV_0300
                    USB\VID_067B&PID_2303
                    That appears to be a PL2303 based chipset. You appear to have the rather exciting task of getting a PL2303 driver to work with your current OS, Windows 10 does not work as well with some of the drivers and some are now non supported (http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...id=225&pcid=41) but start by looking at those drivers see if you can get them to work. I had a hells game and ending up ditching my cable.

Comment

Found a driver and installed on my laptop and now when I plug in the cable I see it in the COM list as COM 1. HS is installed on another computer with the same OS as my laptop (windows 7). When I install the driver on the other PC I get the below error. When I click OK it says driver installed successfully but it still doesn't appear in the com list. Only in the other devices list and when I click on properties it says driver not installed. Why would it work on 1 machine and not another when they both have the same OS.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I recently connected a Prolific USB to Serial device I've had for years (connected to a TI103) to my Windows 10 machine and it didn't load a driver. A little search lead to this driver:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...TDA&authuser=0

That was referenced in this post:

http://superuser.com/questions/55223...g-on-windows-8

Worked like a champ for me. Does require a reboot of the machine but now my TI103 that hasn't been connected in years is up and running in HS3. Had to dig it out as the Ocelot isn't supported.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                          I recently connected a Prolific USB to Serial device I've had for years (connected to a TI103) to my Windows 10 machine and it didn't load a driver. A little search lead to this driver:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...TDA&authuser=0

That was referenced in this post:

http://superuser.com/questions/55223...g-on-windows-8

Worked like a champ for me. Does require a reboot of the machine but now my TI103 that hasn't been connected in years is up and running in HS3. Had to dig it out as the Ocelot isn't supported.
                          Thanks for the link. I installed that driver and now I see it in my com list so I think I should be OK. I have to right a script to see if it connects to my devices ok and can control it. I will let you know what happens.

Comment

Working...
                          X