Event Processing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event Processing Question

I got a new z-wave thermostat for Christmas and am working on events tied to motion sensor occupancy. I created an event that says if there has been no motion for 60 minutes to set the temperature back but I see in the log that it sets the temperature on the thermostat every few seconds after 60 minutes.

I added an option to the event so it cannot re run for 30 minutes. My question is does this still take up a lot of processing power in the background and is there another method you would recommend? I was planning on having a few of these events and don't want to slow down everything.

Either way I don't think you have to worry about performance here. HS can easily handle these events.

Are you sure you set the right trigger? Sounds like you may have used Device has been for ATLEAST. Which would keep triggering every second after there has been no motion, if you use exactly it should only fire once.

I use BLRadar plugin for stuff like this (you can maintain a zone which is updated by motion sensors). You can then trigger when the zone status changes.

Comment

I did use the ATLEAST trigger because I have two main occupancy sensors and EXACTLY is not available for use with AND IF.

IF Occupancy Sensor 2 has been No Motion for at least 30m, 0s
      AND IF Occupancy Sensor 4 has been No Motion for at least 30m, 0s
      AND IF Utility Manual Heat & Cool has a value equal to Off
      Then Set Device Utility Thermostat Heating Setpoint to 68

I will take a look at the plugin that you mention. Any other thoughts or techniques to control based on Occupancy instead of schedule? I have a heat pump system so I want to set it back 2-3 degrees when no one is home or we are sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
        I did use the ATLEAST trigger because I have two main occupancy sensors and EXACTLY is not available for use with AND IF.

I will take a look at the plugin that you mention. Any other thoughts or techniques to control based on Occupancy instead of schedule? I have a heat pump system so I want to set it back 2-3 degrees when no one is home or we are sleeping.
        I use a virtual device for occupancy along with events like this:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	occ.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1182500

I then use the status changes of the virtual occupancy devices to control our thermostats.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post

That event will continue to trigger once a second as long as both sensors have been No Motion for over 30 minutes.

When you have events that do not have a specific trigger, use the resultant action as a condition and they will not re-trigger. So it would be:

F Occupancy Sensor 2 has been No Motion for at least 30m, 0s
          AND IF Utility Thermostat Heating Setpoint has a value that is not equal to 68 F

With that change it will only run if the thermostat is not already at 68, once it is set, the event will not run.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            F Occupancy Sensor 2 has been No Motion for at least 30m, 0s
            AND IF Utility Thermostat Heating Setpoint has a value that is not equal to 68 F

With that change it will only run if the thermostat is not already at 68, once it is set, the event will not run.
            Cool. I did not think about that option. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X