Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stangale View Post
    Thanks Krumpy - for telling the truth.

Homeseer has wasted many hours of my time with product/software which has been completely misrepresented to me from the start.

Jeff Fisher (bless his heart) is VOLUNTEERING to work on the CM15A Plugin, because apparently Homeseer won't do it.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178669

Unfortunately, Jeff Fisher DOES NOT EVEN HAVE CM15A - and apparently Homeseer won't even supply him with one.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178752

Who is the Owner/Manager of Homeseer?

Is he/she not aware of how we're being lied to and dis-serviced???

If I have to go through the trouble of RMAing this experience and sending it back because of its failure to perform, you can bet I'm going to take the extra time (on top of the many useless hours spent) to review Homeseer as truthfully as you have.

But on on other sites besides this one.

Very pissed off.
    I'm sure Rich will refund your money if you feel slighted. Please put in a help desk ticket and I'll be sure Rich receives it if you want a refund. http://helpdesk.homeseer.com/
    Mark (HST Sales manager) recently stated in a post that HomeSeer Technologies is not going to put any resources into X10 which is a technology that is no longer being developed and devices are no longer being made. The good news for X10 users is that Mark Fisher is volunteering to pick up the X10 plugins. So it should get better but if you want the best X10 experience I would suggest HS2.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

@Stan

I feel your frustrations.

I saw and experienced similar with the transition from Homeseer 1 to Homeseer 2 to Homeseer 2.5 and now to Homeseer 3.

The owner of Homeseer is Richard Helmke.

He is most likely reading many posts here today.

Its been many many years ago that I met Richard Helmke and he was a personable. He really does eat, sleep and sXXX home automation. It is that personal touch that has given us Homeseer now for many many years.

Thinking too I have met Krumpy. He seemed quiet and reserved and genuine ly interested in automation many many years ago. Well too he still is using Homeseer today.

I would suggest that you call Homeseer. The phone numbers are posted here.

Speak to Mark Colegrove.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Mark (HST Sales manager) recently stated in a post that HomeSeer Technologies is not going to put any resources into X10 which is a technology that is no longer being developed and devices are no longer being made.
        That must be a very US-centric view? I thought HS3 was used world wide?....all the HA stores I checked in Europe are still selling X10? I expect there are some countries that still don't license Z-wave!

As the X10 standard has been around for many years and was coded correctly in HS2. Once the job is done, there is no need for this to be revisited. HST approach to this is very narrow sighted IMO. X10 is going to be around in homes around the world for many years to come.
        Jon

Comment

X10 for the NA market is still being made and sold as well. Not sure why Rupp thinks it's not being made anymore. I agree that the approach HST is taking on this is narrow sighted and frankly am very pissed off as well with their lack of support in resolving bugs and with the half-assed support for their own plugins.

Every plugin that Wade is supposedly supporting (including the x10 ones, DSC, Rain8, Netcam, etc.) have major bugs and get little to no response to forum postings, bugzilla's, etc. The excuse always is that they are working on something new and shiny and therefore they have no time to support what they have already released. Of course as soon as they are done with whatever is new, that falls into the same trap as what they released before. Many of us have previously expressed support for a support model that gives a recurring revenue stream, but they don't seem to be interested in that, which imho should alleviate the current situation. I'm still here and trying to make the best out of HS3, given what I've invested in it time and money wise and because of the great support provided by the third-party plugin providers, however, if I was starting from scratch, I'd seriously look at other options.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            ....and devices are no longer being made.
            Wrong. I get weekly email deals from X10.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Yup; here after trying Insteon, Z-Wave, UPB and Z-Wave for my Christmas lighting went back to using X10. I like having one house code for all of the Christmas lighting.

I haven't purchased any new X10 stuff cuz my stuff is still working fine. Some of it is 37 years old. I have some old IBM labeled X10 in wall switches working (not in this house).
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

While X-10 is nearing the end f the road and is likely to go away at some point, it is still best to "dance with the one the one what brung ya". X-10 was at the core of HS2 and many people built their initial infrastructure around it. It seems like it would have been wise to have supported it from the outset for the sake of transitioning HS2 users.

I know that Z-Wave is likely to be a leader going forward, but tell that to someone who has a working house with dozens of X-10 devices. One of HS3s greatest strengths is providing robust support multiple technologies. Forsaking one of the oldest and potentially largest installed user bases seems to run counter to the potential offered by HS3.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I agree that the HST team works very hard. Rich is an awesome developer and can work magic when he gets to the issue. No doubt in my mind about that. The challenge is that he (or anyone else) can not be everywhere. I think that we can agree to that.

So, it comes to the point that HST is subjectively spread thin and can only merely address within a reasonable time the mainstream core products.

With HomeSeer, I would say that ZWAVE lighting control is mainstream. I personally do not like ZWAVE but will probably come to the conclusion that at some point I need to change my attitude about ZWAVE as the general HA industry is changing that way. (I have always liked the appearance of the Insteon hardware.) So in this case, one could say that HST was a pioneer in ZWAVE. Still wish that it was not embedded within the core HS code. Core HS code should be core automation architecture only!

With HSTouch one could easily say that Android hardware is the priority.

Home Automation is certainly not a cost justified hobby. Heck, I would rather pay more money and have innovative products that are open in versatility and well supported than the inverse. I am stuck indefinitely with HS2 as HS3 environment is not yet ready for me primetime. Certain plugins that I depend on are not finished yet (ISY) and it would also cost me another $200-$250 in plugin upgrades just to upgrade. Not sure that I am convinced that the upgrade to HS3 is a worthwhile endeavor based on all of the support frustrations that I see people have. Heck, that in itself is an issue because I do want to upgrade but I do not want to spend the next 3 to 12 month screwing around to get HS3 working the way that HS2 is working now.

As far as myself being quiet.. Who me?
                  HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Amen Krumpy, Pete, Rupp, jon00, Sparkman, rmasonjr, and RPrade.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Your input really offers a panoramic view of what's really going on here.

And Uncle Michael,
                    "For many of us, HA is really a way to waste time while pretending to do something productive. One way I deal with the frustration of poor documentation and non-intuitive operation is to frame the problem as a puzzle with ambiguous instructions. Sort of like the NYT crossword. One benefit is that seemingly trivial advances can be re-framed as breakthroughs in understanding as I slowly learn what works and what doesn't and assemble a comprehensive understanding of how the product really functions. Not up there with curing cancer, but better than being pissed off. "

I highly admire your tenacity and willingness to keep trying to solve a puzzle.

But personally do not have time for another hobby.

Successful Doctor with busy practice, ride Motocross, have a family, etc.

Home Automation is a necessity like having a good cellphone or internet service.

X10 has fulfilled this need quite satisfactorily (and quite inexpensively) for many years.

Sparkman and you other fellows, PLEASE recommend a software or hardware/software solution that works with an X10 house.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by stangale View Post
                      Sparkman and you other fellows, PLEASE recommend a software or hardware/software solution that works with an X10 house.
                      For my money, HS2 is by far the best implementation of HA for X10. I also highly recommend Jeff Volp's XTB-232 as the power line interface.
                      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I would agree with HS2 2.5.0.80 (previous versions of 2.5.020 - 2.5.79 had a memory leak which Rich did resolve and even stopped HS3 development for a while. Kudos!).

I also agree on the previous hardware recommendation.

CM15 is the firecracker, correct? Never had one,

CM17A had several in service. Worked great outside of the X10 hardware weaknesses. That being prone to interference and no status confirmation whether the device actually got the message,, etc. I probably still have mine and would send it to you if I can find it.

As for home automation not being a hobby. We'll good luck. I started in the mid 80's and still playing... One thing leads to another. Lighting, security, audio, video, and all of the Apple products. Oh, then there is the washing machine/dryer integration of voice announcements, telephone integration, and more. Oh, and be careful when it comes to camera/surveillance integration = $$$$.

Good luck.
                        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Here I have utilized X10 since it's inception in the late 1970's.

I started to tinker with computers in the 70's and 80's. In the 80's did install a security panel in the home which did have text to speech and did speak X10 at the time. Busy times never really played with the panel very much other than using it for security, speech and X10 stuff.

I too here I have only utilized the CM11A, TW-523, TI-103, XTB and XTBIIR in the last 15 years or so.

HAI (Home Automation Inc.) improved on its X10 stuff in the early 2000's by using two TW-523's.

Just curious what it is that you are using to manage your X10 devices today?

What is it that you were looking for?

Here in addition to using Homeseer and now over 10 years I have utilized a Leviton combination security and automation panel.

Like Homeseer the OmniPro 2 lighting automation pieces started with X10. I always preferred power line use for automation and upgraded the X10 switches to Insteon then to UPB in the 2000's.

Today I utilize both Homeseer and the Leviton Omni Pro 2 panel. I have improved the X10 stuff using Jeff Volp's devices (started to do this in the 2000's) and have migrated all of my power line stuff over to UPB which works 100% of the time as does X10.

I do consider lighting, HVAC and security the heartbeat of the home and it is today something I do not pay attention too.

You can today just put a timer on your X10 devices or lighting that works just fine using an X10 MT14A and doesn't require a computer to use.

I agree with the above statements regarding the original Homeseer base automation use of X10 in 1998. I do not and have never seen it going away in the near future. There are many folks around still that initially did invest in X10 many many years ago and still use it today just fine.
                          Last edited by Pete; January 4, 2016, 08:16 AM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                          X