System Upgrade - Need a parts/software check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Upgrade - Need a parts/software check

Hi All, I've been running HS2 with HAI Omni LT security and thermostat and Insteon powerline lighting and a few X10 devices.

It's time to get current with HS3 so that means upgrading hardware and software. I'm shooting for the most ubiquitous gear that does the job.

Here's the shopping list:

- HS3 upgrade
    - Ademco Vista 20P
    - Ademco 4219 expansion module
    - Ademco 6160 panel
    - MNSandler HS3 Ademco Plugin
    - AD2USB module
    - MNSandler HS3 Insteon Plugin (I have a 2413s)
    - Trane XR524 ZWave Thermostat
    - HomeSeer ZNet ZWave Controller

(diagram of current setup attached)

Am I missing or not thinking about anything? I'll have to do this all in one weekend since once I go to HS3 none of my existing stuff will work.

thanks for any help or words of advice.
    Dan
    Attached Files

That list looks good. You should be able to continue to run HS2 and HS3 at the same time though.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I never had HS2 but my suggestion would be migrate slowly. If you are adding a security panel, maybe do that first and talking to HS3 before moving other stuff over. My understanding is there is a way to make 2 and 3 talk together so you can share devices. Depending on how big your setup is, you might lose hair over trying to get it all done in one weekend.

Comment

Curious regarding your changes from a functioning Leviton Omni LT panel to Ademco Vista 20P?
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Curious regarding your changes from a functioning Leviton Omni LT panel to Ademco Vista 20P?
          Didn't see a HAI plugin for HS3. Or at least not one that works with a serial connection.

Is there something I'm missing?

Comment

Your plan looks good. I took a different approach after having a lot of trouble with an upgrade from HS1 to HS2. I bought a new computer and installed HS3 fresh then added one area at a time starting with the X10 and Z-Wave smart stick. I only had one z-wave device before though, it was mostly X10 so those were easy to move. I am weary of going with the upgrade path with current system after my first experience.

Comment

Very nice drawing Dan!!!

Didn't see a HAI plugin for HS3. Or at least not one that works with a serial connection.

There is an HAI plugin being worked on but it is only for a network connected OmniPro.

Here went from X10 to Insteon to UPB. I do have and still use X10, Z-Wave and UPB on the OmniPro 2 panel.
              Last edited by Pete; January 6, 2016, 01:55 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

thanks for all the great suggestions, guys. I like the idea of spinning up a new machine or running HS2/3 instances on the same.

Could HS2 and 3 on the same machine both talk to the 2413 simultaneously without contention? I'm guessing they would fight over the com port.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanWheeler View Post
                  thanks for all the great suggestions, guys. I like the idea of spinning up a new machine or running HS2/3 instances on the same.

Could HS2 and 3 on the same machine both talk to the 2413 simultaneously without contention? I'm guessing they would fight over the com port.

Dan
                  No once a port is bound on the machine, it can't be used by another process.

Comment

I like the idea of spinning up a new machine or running HS2/3 instances on the same.

Personally here I wouldn't run Homeseer 2 and Homeseer 3 on the same machine.

That and the construction / make of the old OmniPro LTE with only a serial port is still much better than the Ademco panels of today.

An update to a new Omni LTE which is still using older technologies is levels above the build of an Ademco panel.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

no help on the list but WOW what a super job on the visual!!! ENVIOUS!!!!
                      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by DanWheeler View Post

Comment

My only regret was using a Microsoft account for setup, I should have only used a local machine account. I get locked out on a regular basis when it wants to check my credentials and I have not been able to remove the Microsoft account completely (UGH) after I added the local account with no password protection.

Comment

I would use the ISY to control insteon which can be shared by more than one Home Automation system as it uses standard networking interface. I currently have the ISY connected to four home automation products (HS2, HS3, MLServer, and ELK). I would also rely on the ISY more than HomeSeer for system stability when controlling insteon. Mark's insteon plugin is great, but it does not support the ISY. Bob's ISY plugin with HS2 was awesome but he has not completed his HS3 ISY plugin. There is a beta which seems to work, but I do not rely on it as I am still using HS2.

Second, you may want to consider the ELK security panel to control security and all critical automation jobs. The ISY can also talk to the ELK and vice versa. HomeSeer then manages both systems with higher level control functionality that each respective system (ISY/ELK) can not do. This may require the ELK XEP interface hardware.

I would also connect in the T-STAT control into the ISY or the ELK. I have all three t-stats connected via RS485 into the ELK. I suppose if you really wanted insteon tstats that the ISY could control them.

This is how I have it configured.
                            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Working...
                            X