Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a Lighting Event with a Recessed Door Sensor

Hello,

I have had homeseer since the first Zee controller came out. I just installed an Aeotec recessed door sensor in an exterior door. I would like to create an event that will run as follows:

After dark and the exterior door is opened I would like two outside lights to turn on, then close the door and the lights to remain on. Walk the dogs. Come back to the exterior door, open the door, Let the dogs in, close the door and have the outside lights turn off.

I am unsure if I can make an event like this using the door sensor.
    Anyone that would know the specific sequence please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    I hope that I posted this question in the correct area.

Originally posted by ChazM View Post
    Hello,

I have had homeseer since the first Zee controller came out. I just installed an Aeotec recessed door sensor in an exterior door. I would like to create an event that will run as follows:

After dark and the exterior door is opened I would like two outside lights to turn on, then close the door and the lights to remain on. Walk the dogs. Come back to the exterior door, open the door, Let the dogs in, close the door and have the outside lights turn off.

I am unsure if I can make an event like this using the door sensor.
    Anyone that would know the specific sequence please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    I hope that I posted this question in the correct area.
    You need to decide if you want this to always happen at night or between specific hours. The time would be a condition as would the lights. I would also put a minim time for the lights to have been off to keep it from re-triggering too soon. You could use two events.

The first:

IF the Door Sensor changes and becomes Opened
    AND IF outside lights has been OFF for at least 1 minute
    AND IF the time is nighttime

THEN set outside lights to ON

The second would have no nighttime condition, because if the lights are on and it is daytime, you probably want to turn them off. I added a condition looking for the outside lights to have been on for at least 5 minutes, so that you could go back in if you forgot something without turning the lights off.

If the Door Sensor changes and becomes Opened
    AND IF the outside lights has been ON for at least 5 minutes

THEN Set Device outside lights to Off

Here is a screenshot of the event using some devices in my house.
    Attached Files
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

You could also add a delay to the second event action to allow time to go inside and close the door.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but given the condition that the light has been on for some minutes, changing the trigger to closing the door might also work.

One problem you could run into is if the light is already on when you go out. In that case the light will go off just when you want it to go on.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
        You could also add a delay to the second event action to allow time to go inside and close the door.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but given the condition that the light has been on for some minutes, changing the trigger to closing the door might also work.

One problem you could run into is if the light is already on when you go out. In that case the light will go off just when you want it to go on.
        That is a good idea. Have the lights off event triggered by the door changing to closed. Since it has a condition that the lights have been on for 5 minutes, it wouldn't turn off until after you got back home and closed the door.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thank you both for your great expertise.
          I will try them out and see how it goes.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X