Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ramp rate with plugin dimmer?

Hey Guys,
    My apologies if this is just a horrible question, but I'm sure you guys will know much better than I will.

I'm currently in the process of deciding if I'm going to make the full change from my vera system over to homeseer. Currently at customer locations we have been integrating the vera into their home automation systems, but I always like to try out new ideas. So far it's looking good, but there's just one thing I can't seem to figure out.

On my vera I could simply change the ramp rate of a dimmer switch. I can't seem to find that option in Homeseer? Am I missing something? Surely this doesn't have to be done manually through an event does it?

I think I just set a variable in the Vera such as 10, and it would take 10 seconds for the light to get to full power (or turn off). Is this available to us?

Thanks for your time!

It's easier in HS3 than it is in Vera. Or at least easier than the UI that I had when I used a Vera.

On the Z-Wave tab for the device look at this:
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Not all dimmers have a ramp rate, some of mine do (although don't really stick to it or have a small window of time to be not much use) and some don't. You also in reality probably are after some sort of incremental dim rather than ramp rate, HS out of the box does not do this. I did however think that there was some script to do this and a good search around might bring something up.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        Not all dimmers have a ramp rate, some of mine do (although don't really stick to it or have a small window of time to be not much use) and some don't. You also in reality probably are after some sort of incremental dim rather than ramp rate, HS out of the box does not do this. I did however think that there was some script to do this and a good search around might bring something up.

Not to be a wanker, but, as I too came from Vera I believe I know what he's talking about and it's what I mentioned in my previous post. What you're talking about I think is the Moskus script for fading a light up slowly over an extended period of time. In Vera this is done with a plugin called, as I recall, Wakeup Ramp. For the record here is the script for slowly ramping up lights. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=167926

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          Not to be a wanker, but, as I too came from Vera I believe I know what he's talking about and it's what I mentioned in my previous post. What you're talking about I think is the Moskus script for fading a light up slowly over an extended period of time. In Vera this is done with a plugin called, as I recall, Wakeup Ramp. For the record here is the script for slowly ramping up lights. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=167926
          Of course perhaps I have interpreted it incorrectly but ' and it would take 10 seconds for the light to get to full power (or turn off)' is not going to be possible to do by setting the Z-Wave parameter like you've posted. 10ms x 255 is 2.5 seconds and not all dimmers have the option, you also don't have the real method of doing this inside an event action (I know you can set a parameter but that's not really ideal as you would then have to reset it later and not know what it was set to before) as I interpreted the question. Does Wakeup Ramp in Vera set the Z-Wave device parameter or does it just increment the light level of a period of time?

Comment

It does the same thing as the Moskus script. To change the actual ramp rate of a device you need to manually set the Z-Wave parameters. The OP sounded like he was referring to the process of setting parameters for the device which is why I pointed him to how it's done in HS3 and to show how much easier it is, because on a Vera you need to know what the parameters are and how to set them.

Sorry! I didn't mean to contradict you or step on your feet or anything like that! You have my respect. :hatoff:

Comment

Wow thanks for all the info guys!
              I should have probably clarified a bit more though about the ramp rates.

So this plugin module that I'm using dims automatically up and down at some sort of default rate. I actually was trying to do the opposite of dimming. I was hoping to make one of these plugin modules a instant on/off switch instead. Basically removing the dimmer function That is why I was looking for the ramp rates I actually have 2 of these units, so I thought it would be great to have control over how they turn on and off.

So, when I pull up the same page as you guys showed me, I certainly don't see any built in ramp rates. That said, the specs on the device here http://www.smarthome.com/evolve-gues...mp-module.html clearly state adjustable ramp rates.

Little bit confused.

See the image I attached :/

Thanks for a link to that script, I'm going to give that a try!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by amp3d View Post
                Wow thanks for all the info guys!
                I should have probably clarified a bit more though about the ramp rates.

So this plugin module that I'm using dims automatically up and down at some sort of default rate. I actually was trying to do the opposite of dimming. I was hoping to make one of these plugin modules a instant on/off switch instead. Basically removing the dimmer function That is why I was looking for the ramp rates I actually have 2 of these units, so I thought it would be great to have control over how they turn on and off.

So, when I pull up the same page as you guys showed me, I certainly don't see any built in ramp rates. That said, the specs on the device here http://www.smarthome.com/evolve-gues...mp-module.html clearly state adjustable ramp rates.

Little bit confused.

See the image I attached :/

Thanks for a link to that script, I'm going to give that a try!

I looked and can't find a manual for that device. You're going to need to find and adjust the parameters manually, just like in Vera.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                  I looked and can't find a manual for that device. You're going to need to find and adjust the parameters manually, just like in Vera.
                  Yeah I looked for the manual as well, no luck. Weird!
                  Thanks for trying though!

Comment

Originally posted by amp3d View Post
                    Yeah I looked for the manual as well, no luck. Weird!
                    Thanks for trying though!
                    I'd try this - they look similar:
                    No guarantees though!
                    http://www.manualguru.com/ge-applian...manual/page-11

Comment

Working...
                    X