HSTouch or HS3Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTouch or HS3Touch

Hi, I am new to HomeSeer and am (likely) soon to buy a HomeTroller Zee S2. Which of two avaialable mobile apps are appropriate to use with this device, HSTouch or HS3Touch??? And would folks suggest staying away from either one for security reasons or is connecting through these mobile apps OK???

The Zee S2 specs say it runs HS3 Pi S2. What is that software and how does it compare to HS3 that runs the higher end controllers??? Is it a lite version of HS3?? If so, how lite??? Just trying to decide if starting with this Zee S2 is the right way to go. Plus I'd like to have a setup that is relatively secure especially with respect to system software that can be updated periodically...

any help would be appreciated... thanks... bob

Assuming this is for iOS... it would be HS3Touch... I don't think the other app works with the current HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
      Assuming this is for iOS... it would be HS3Touch... I don't think the other app works with the current HS3.
      Wayne is correct, use HS3Touch. HSTouch iPhone/Pad app is for HS2 (version 2 of the Homeseer software) according to tech support (I had the same question).

I can't answer your other questions but just wanted to add what the HSTouch app is still used for. It does sort of work on HS3 but will crash after a short period when it runs into a problem.

Comment

I decided not to go with the Zee S2 when I switched to HS3 late last year because of the plugin limit of 5. I currently use 9 plugins and went with a mini PC for $170 instead of the Zee S2. According to the Homeseer sales rep I spoke with, the main advantages of using the stock controllers is easier setup and less ongoing system maintenance (OS updates).

Comment

As planetview stated. Zee2 =hs3 + z-net(built in). The zee limitations are plugins number(5) and not all plugins are Linux compatible I believe. It really depends on what you want to do, do you plan to expand your automation system ( sprinklers, audio, etc) , and how much of a tinkerer you are. If you tinker a lot and plan to expand then buy a small mini pc and install hs3. Search the forums for mini itx and hs3 pc and you'll see what you need to buy.

Sent from my iPhone
          Tom
          baby steps...starting again with HS3
          HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
          HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
          Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
          In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
          System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
            As planetview stated. Zee2 =hs3 + z-net(built in). The zee limitations are plugins number(5) and not all plugins are Linux compatible I believe. It really depends on what you want to do, do you plan to expand your automation system ( sprinklers, audio, etc) , and how much of a tinkerer you are. If you tinker a lot and plan to expand then buy a small mini pc and install hs3. Search the forums for mini itx and hs3 pc and you'll see what you need to buy.

Sent from my iPhone
            Hi, thanks for the responses.. Yes, I am a tinkerer and assuming I have some success with the Zee2 (I did purchase one just today) I will likely do just what you said, upgrade to a system with my own pc and HS3. But I need to get my feet wet and I'm starting from scratch, well sort of, scratch at least with HomeSeer so I've decided to give this a shot.

All I'm interested in controlling right now are some Z-Wave components I already have (door locks, thermostat, on/off power switch). We were given a Nexia bridge by the builder of our home and a free, one year account with them. I played around with their system and got it to work, thus the reason I said "sort of" above with the no experience comment... But they seemed not at all interested in security and their support was nothing like what HomeSeer appears to have... So I shut that down and am turning in this direction.

What you said above was helpful (Zee2 =hs3 + z-net(built in)). If there is a "HomeSeer 101" or "HomeSeer for Dummies" I would love to read it... I've seen a lot of references to HS2 which must be a previous software version??? And now HS3 must be the software in use today.

I was trying to understand which of the two mobile apps to use but folks answered that above...

And I am aware of the 5 plugin deal with this starter system and I'm thinking that will likely suffice for me...

So HS3Touch is the app to check out...

Any good primers for a newcomer??? thanks... bob

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
              Wayne is correct, use HS3Touch. HSTouch iPhone/Pad app is for HS2 (version 2 of the Homeseer software) according to tech support (I had the same question).

I can't answer your other questions but just wanted to add what the HSTouch app is still used for. It does sort of work on HS3 but will crash after a short period when it runs into a problem.
              Thanks for helping with my confusion about which mobile app to consider... much appreciated... bob

Comment

I've read that the mobile app is a "work in progress". But is it secure??? Can I use it with some confidence that my correspondence from app to HomeSeer Zee S2 is secure??? thanks... bob

Comment

Welcome to Homeseer, I think with what your describing you'll be fine. There is no HS for dummies, but rest assured most folks feel like dummies when you first start. I'm not sure about the app security so I'll let someone else answer that.

Sent from my iPhone
                  Tom
                  baby steps...starting again with HS3
                  HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                  HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                  Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                  In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                  System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Thanks Tom... What i see in your signature describes me, "baby steps"... Looking forward to doing just that with this starter hardware... thanks much... bob

Comment

Working...
                    X