Beginner Help - SEL vs S6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Help - SEL vs S6

I am having trouble deciding if I should buy the SEL or the S6. This will be my start with home automation. I am planning to buy the PRO version of whichever hardware I go with. My plan is to first install some z-wave door locks, garage door openers, and thermostats. I will eventually add lighting and electrical, either through z-wave or insteon. My alarm panel is Ademco, so I would also like to tie all of that in with HS3. I have a sprinkler system, but know very little about it, so I am not too concerned with it right now. I would eventually like to add some security cameras, and those may actually come before the lighting and electrical. I doubt I would ever have interest in doing much with audio, etc. Should I just spend the extra money for the S6 or will I be just fine with the SEL? I doubt I will do much custom stuff myself, but don't want to limit myself with the SEL (if that is even possible).

I am also planning to get 1-2 Z-Net devices (my garage is detached, but I do have cat5e running into the finished area above the garage). Do I also need a separate hub to control the insteon switches/plugs?

I appreciate any answers and other feedback to my questions.

It really boils down to - do you feel more confident with Linux or Windows and do all the plugins you want to use run on the Linux platform. Otherwise they should perform equally as well.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

I feel more comfortable with Windows, but I am assuming that what I will end up doing will all be within the HS3 software instead of creating a lot of custom stuff. That may be a poor assumption.

I have also looked through the plug-ins (probably too many times). I don't think I have a great understanding of when the plug-ins would be needed vs things just working. This may be a bad example, but I believe that if I end up choosing just a normal Honeywell z-wave thermostat that I will not need an additional plug-in just for the thermostat.

It is clear that there are more options for Windows, but I am having trouble deciding if I need all the options or not. I should probably just go with my gut and get the S6 Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by flurry222 View Post
        This may be a bad example, but I believe that if I end up choosing just a normal Honeywell z-wave thermostat that I will not need an additional plug-in just for the thermostat.
        This is correct. The Z-Wave plugin handles this thermostat.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

I would go with the S6 from what you describe. For most needs HomeSeer will have built in options such as drop down windows to select but you can do the custom stuff also with scripts or programming languages if you want to get into advanced options. It's a very versatile system.

The S6 will control insteon devices with a plugin, you will also need a Smarthome 2413U PLM device to send and receive signals.
          Last edited by Planetview; January 26th, 2016, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I ended up getting the S6. I also purchased 2 Linear GD00Z's. I was too lazy to figure out which door locks I wanted as there are too many options.

Comment

Working...
            X