Devices and attic temperatures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devices and attic temperatures?

Hey guys, I am looking to put some Z-wave devices in my attic for various things (water sensors and appliance modules to start) and I am in Houston, so my attic gets very hot in the summer.

Has anyone seen what the impact of heat like that is on these devices?

I have had an Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Gen5 Multi-Sensor in my attic for over a year, no problems with heat (in California, attic can get to 140 F).
    Mike

Comment

Same here with the aeon multi sensor. Haven't had any issues. I was lucky and had power up there so just put in an outlet and plugged it in. Something to consider for the attic. Don't wanna be replacing batteries all the time.

Comment

I have also had a few Z-Wave sensors in the attic without issue. The highest temperature we recorded was about 145F.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Agreed. I have plugs up there and am thinking of pulling a power line up from the room below (Things installed in ceiling) to an appliance module. Then using a couple of the Aeotec flood sensors in my AC pans. Wanted to make sure they were not simply going to all just burn up.

Comment

I have an Aeon Smart Energy Switch to detect when my attic fan turns on. It works fine and the attic temps in south MS get to >120F in the summer.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
              Agreed. I have plugs up there and am thinking of pulling a power line up from the room below (Things installed in ceiling) to an appliance module. Then using a couple of the Aeotec flood sensors in my AC pans. Wanted to make sure they were not simply going to all just burn up.
              Great idea, I looked on amazon and they have this model, Aeotec By Aeon Labs Gen5 Z-wave Plus 6-in-1 Multisensor 6 ZW100-A, will it work the same and do you know if I can connect it with a power supply?

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
                Great idea, I looked on amazon and they have this model, Aeotec By Aeon Labs Gen5 Z-wave Plus 6-in-1 Multisensor 6 ZW100-A, will it work the same and do you know if I can connect it with a power supply?
                You can connect a USB adapter to it for power (optional cable accessory).
                Attached Files
                Mike

Comment

This is a timely thread! I just bought one of the Aeon multisensors for the attic. Good to know I won't melt it! Pete may also chime in because he has a number of devices installed in his attic, including a Raspberry Pi.
                  HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                  Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                  Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                  Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I built a cat walk, put lighting and added circuits initially. Then built a chase for wires which goes down two floors.

The attic devices today are a POE AP, RPI2, 1-Wire sensors, Cheaper RFID and antenna, W800 and antenna, GPS and PPS, amplifiers for antennas. There is also one Z-Wave device there.

The attic is large here and the top is around 9 feet or so.

The RPi2 is a Zee 2 computer with a Z-wave GPIO card / RTC / 1-wire network. It has done fine in the summer.

Temperatures come from 2 1-wire temperature sensors and one humidity sensor.
                    Last edited by Pete; January 29, 2016, 05:32 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                    X