win 10 HS 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win 10 HS 2

I am a long time Homeseer user (over 12 years). I am running HS2 as it is really all I need and it just keeps working. I am running it on dedicated win 7 PRO that runs 24/7. I am thinking of upgrading to Win 10 Pro.

Has anyone any experience in doing this? Problems? Suggestions.

I also have a licensed copy of HS3 which I never installed. Would it be better to install HS3 first and then Windows 10, or Windows 10 and then HS3?

I am both trying to minimize problems and also maintain the excellent reliability I have experienced over the years.

I have hesitated to go to HS3 as I have several plugins I use, some I have bought and some I have written. Compatibility and the need to rewrite them concerns me.

The purchased plugin is the Gemini Ademco plugin by Homeseer which I think is available from HS. The other plugins I wrote and all are .NET except one which I could convert/rewrite.

My first choice is just to upgrade to windows 10 and keep HS2

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Why upgrade the OS at all? If HS2 is running well then my suggestion would be to leave it alone.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Gordon View Post
      I am a long time Homeseer user (over 12 years). I am running HS2 as it is really all I need and it just keeps working. I am running it on dedicated win 7 PRO that runs 24/7. I am thinking of upgrading to Win 10 Pro.

Has anyone any experience in doing this? Problems? Suggestions.....
      I am running HS2 Pro on Windows 10 Professional without issue. I moved HS2 Pro from an old HomeTroller (Windows XP embedded) whose graphics output quit. I have had no problems with the functioning of HS2 Pro on Windows 10. At the same time on a separate box, I am running HS3 Pro on Windows 10 Professional without issue. I am slowly migrating from HS2 to HS3. Hence, the separate systems running simultaneously.

I like Windows 10 alot. Both HS2 and HS3 are quite stable on it.

Elliott

Comment

Nice to see you here Barry. It has been a while. You are an Obi-Wan Kenobi of automation.

Has anyone any experience in doing this? Problems? Suggestions.

I have left HStoose-of-old (big and little boxes) running on mini Windows Server 32 bit. It has been fine.

Been playing with Windows 7 embedded and I like it.

Windows 10 is sort of internet social site, cloud, chatty kathy unless you remove same said pieces and really not meant to be a server; rather it is more of a tablet, telephone or touchy feely screen on your desk. (you can disregard and remove all of the metro stuff now.

I am using W10 right now for one Homeseer Touch client (with Kinect / Alexa) (well and one W7E client).

I started with HS3 on W81 and switched over to Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit and it is doing well.

I am running some windows pieces of Homeseer 3 on Oracle VB's. (SAPI speech, Kinect plugin, Alexa et al and hopefully less in the future).

Keep HS2 on boxofold and buy another box for HS3. Tinker with HS3 and get comfortable with it. I am suggesting Linux over Windows 10. That is me though.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          Why upgrade the OS at all? If HS2 is running well then my suggestion would be to leave it alone.
          I would hazard a guess that it's because of security patches - particularly if exposed on the internet....
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
            I would hazard a guess that it's because of security patches - particularly if exposed on the internet....
            My HS2 server is still on XP and is still up and running. This server is almost 10 years old and I'm leaving it running till it dies What I found over the years was the security patches became more bloat than anything else. If you have a decent firewall and do not not use your HS PC for web surfing it's very safe.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with respect to the security patches. I'm still running Win2k3 and trying to decide if a) I just stay on Win2k3, b) move to Win10 c) move to Linux as I move forward to HS3. (a) would be the easiest since I don't need to change drivers. Still...
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                I agree with respect to the security patches. I'm still running Win2k3 and trying to decide if a) I just stay on Win2k3, b) move to Win10 c) move to Linux as I move forward to HS3. (a) would be the easiest since I don't need to change drivers. Still...
                Win2K3 should serve you well for years to come as long as the drivers are available for the hardware devices you want to use.
                -Rupp
                sigpic

Comment

Windows 10

I guess I was a little bored so I started moving the PC's in my home over to Windows 10. All except the HS2 host are moved with no issues except for one which took me week to resolve.

My primary development system (win 7) had a SCSI disk controller running 15,000 RPM drives. It was FAST! Win 10 does not like the SCSI controller, at least on the upgrade path, so I pulled it and put in two 1 TB 7500 RPM Hard SATA drives. Cloned the drives from the SCSI drives and had no issues installing win 10.

Comment

Working...
                  X