Automate smart TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automate smart TV?

I'm possibly in the market for a new TV as our DLP is slowly kicking the bucket. What do I need to look out for in terms of TV's that can be automated? I'd say more than just turning off or on, but in terms of networking capability (feeding networked security camera video?), potential homeseer plugins (status of the tv; play, pause etc...) control of the TV in regards to volume output etc???

We primarily use Plex in our house to stream video from our media/automation computer. Also use Netfix and that's about it for now, I do plan on adding IP cameras down the road.

Any brands or features to look for in regards to automation?

Shooting for this range: http://www.costco.ca/led.html?langId...rageRating%7C1
    Last edited by Conrad_Turbo; February 4th, 2016, 02:27 PM.

Couple of things to watch for. First, some (most?) smart TVs (notably Samsung) can't be turned on via the network. You have to use either IR or serial for that. Have a good look at the documentation for any TV you're considering. You should be able to determine what features/limitations they have, and each brand or model seems to have their own quirks. In my case with Samsung I plan to use a combination of IP and serial control.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Hi Conrad_Turbo,

Take a look here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=177675

And here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...53#post1184053

For added security this here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1215679

The cameras can be found here: https://www.doorbird.com/buy?ad_refe...FQtAGwodz2MOsg

I have in end gone off topic but could save you a lot of headaches! The forum has lot topics which have been asked before.

Enjoy!

Regards.

Eman.
      Last edited by Eman; February 5th, 2016, 06:56 AM.
      The Closer.

Comment

Awesome I appreciate all the info and links! I will do quite a bit more digging and look into specs once I narrow down on a TV!

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
          Awesome I appreciate all the info and links! I will do quite a bit more digging and look into specs once I narrow down on a TV!
          Please report back what you find.
          Hector
          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
            Couple of things to watch for. First, some (most?) smart TVs (notably Samsung) can't be turned on via the network. You have to use either IR or serial for that. Have a good look at the documentation for any TV you're considering. You should be able to determine what features/limitations they have, and each brand or model seems to have their own quirks. In my case with Samsung I plan to use a combination of IP and serial control.
            Did you ever get Samsung TV control via RS-232 working? I have mine (UN55B6000, 2009 vintage) LCD working as of tonight but need a easy way to send the serial On/Off command from HS3. Was hoping somebody had a Plug-In in the works or maybe a script I could hack on.

I have the Ex-link cable connected to it and can control it fine with a computer in my living room. Just have to extend that com port back to the HS machine and have it issue the on/off codes. I just need very basic on/off control.

Comment

I have not yet run the serial connection back to HS so no I haven't done anything with this yet. I do need to get up in the attic and run a bunch of cable though before it gets unbearably hot here, probably in the next few weeks. I'll share my scripts with the board once I write them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
                I'm possibly in the market for a new TV as our DLP is slowly kicking the bucket.

Any brands or features to look for in regards to automation?
                I bought this one. Sony Bravia KDL-55W800C
                Pd 999$ CND though at Christmas from a local store.

It works PERFECTLY with all features using Dirks MediaController.

Dirk was extremely helpful in trouble shooting it as well.
                Jim
                ----
                Plugins:Z Wave 3.0.1.55, HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208, HS3Touch, HS3Touch IOS, Z-Net, SceneMaster, XBMC, Sonos, Media Controller, Envisalink (52 Virtual nodes), JowiHue, EasyTrigger, Liftmaster MyQ, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLRadar, Pushover

Devices:Cooper RF9540, Cooper Scene, Yale Locks, Sonos, Phillips Hue and Lux, DSC, Somfy Blinds

Comment

Working...
                X