First they came for my toaster...and I said nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I honestly do not care.

I only believe what I see with my own eyes.

I do see we are headed for a heap of trouble believing that a pushed ideological (with no meat) way worked.

It hasn't worked no matter what rhetoric is disseminated to the opposite.

"Bread and circuses" (or bread and games; from Latin: panem et circenses) is metonymic for a superficial means of appeasement. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the generation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through diversion; distraction; or the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace,as an offered "palliative." Its originator, Juvenal, used the phrase to decry the selfishness of common people and their neglect of wider concerns. The phrase also implies the erosion or ignorance of civic duty amongst the concerns of the commoner.

That said politics and automation do not mix well.

Throwing insults is a great answer to what ails you that you should probably fix.

I am willing to help you; just ask.

I mean that with all honesty.
    Last edited by Pete; February 11, 2016, 11:04 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

There is a fantastic book written by a man named Neil Postman called "Amusing Ourselves To Death" that I highly recommend everyone read, or listen to if you're an audiobook person. In it he puts forth the assertion that it's not the George Orwell 1984 that is happening or that we need to fear but the Aldous Huxley Brave New World. It's not that we are being oppressed by dictators. It's that we are giving up our liberties in favor of distractions. It was written before the internet became so ingrained in modern life so it deals with television mostly on the high tech end.

Coincidentally I just read Made In America by Bill Bryson which is a sort of tour of everything to have originated in the U.S. and he discusses the advent of television at no small length. Apparently from the get go everyone understood that TV was best suited to trivialities. Many, but not all! attempts to transform TV into an edifying contraption have not really taken off.

Now we have the internet. This single invention is so powerful that the social consequences can scarcely be imagined. This is really just the beginning. The author Neal Stephenson often says that the ways in which people learn are changing from an institutional methodology to a social one. So for example take home automation. 30 years ago if you wanted to get into HA you'd have to probably get some schooling. Electronics, coding, so forth. Today if someone came to me and said "Hey S-F, I know you're in HA. How do I get into it also?" and I could simply send them to this forum. They would certainly have to exert as much effort to learn but the method of the dissemination of the knowledge is vastly different.

Honestly I'm more worried about the biological destruction of the planet more than having the FBI know when I bought undies last. Still, the fed doesn't kneed to know anything about my undies, or use my property without my express permission, to know anything about any other person's undies. Unless there is a legitimate suspicion of a serious crime. And I'm not talking about college kids smoking a joint or some other fairly benign crime.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

When people ask me my phone number i give my landline number as i actually do not have a mobile phone. You must see their faces full of confusion. I don't mind. I see the world in reality, not via a screen, AR of VR. They (the smart phone/tablet users) could bare the shock i guess.
        - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
        HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
        PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

so the other day I am walking in shoprite...
          watched a mother go up and down the isles... her 2 kids were on their HOVERBOARDS!!!!! with eyes into phones... girl was txtin and boy was playing clash of clans...

they moved at a snails pace as mom moved up, they moved up, they went around the corner.. i dont think they really even looked up.

i was trying to find something funny to post but couldnt find one and ran into this one... hah..

https://www.trendingviews.com/attach...oard-jpg.7875/
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

oh and to note.. my 16 year old has his nose in his phone all the time, walks around listening to music...
            failed his driving test (non driving part) twice. He said he doesnt get it. He has been studying...

so i told him to go study. he got his book, sat next to me and started studying while listening to KORN loud enough I could hear it clear as day.

I looked at him and said it was bedtime anyway and he is done studying as he will fail again. Wife got mad at me but I looked at him and said

" I Have never agreed nor understood why you need to listen to music while studying. While Mom is ok with it, I am not and totally disagree with her as we argue about this all the time"

she looked at me and said - " FYI I have never been ok with it but got tired of arguing with him"

this was last night...
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

This is a great thread! Surely the future of the ioT will bring with it encrypted secure data transmission. I think iCloud is already doing this. But until it happens, we need a way to to make sure our current HA systems are secure.

I would like to know more about how exposed we are by HSTouch, MyHomeseer, Amazon echo, and Speaker client. Are we more vulnerable to be spied upon? These are great features of HS3; but would like to use them wisely!

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Someone should write a post about how to disconnect our HS server from all of HomeSeer Technologies servers. US goverment can probobly get all info about us from them.

Comment

Geez Nick.

You forgot to shut off the light in the hallway when you walked up to your computer. Oh ...wait wait ...let me do that for you.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I dont turn off lights anymore. HS does that for me

I have more sensitive stuff on there then lights.

Comment

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by NickStrong View Post
                        Someone should write a post about how to disconnect our HS server from all of HomeSeer Technologies servers. US goverment can probobly get all info about us from them.
                        I suspect that Google knows way more about me than HST does. If I had an Echo, Amazon would probably be the go to source. If I had an iPhone, then it would be Apple.

I started a thread recently about iot security and keeping insecure devices on a separate LAN. I think some concrete advice on that topic would be of real value.
                        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                        X