remotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remotes

Trying to figure out the best solution. I have 5 ir devices and 1 rf device plus homeseer.

Is it best to get a global cache ir and go with DO buttons or would a harmony remote with the plugin to homeseer be able to control not only the (tv, apple tv, blueray, av reciever, cable box) but also run homeseer events/devices as well?

Or would a zwave specific remote be preferable? My goal is to be able to use my phone as a remote when the 2 foot thief abscounds with the remotes.

I think you need to get that two year old thief arrested first.

Comment

My opinion is go with harmony remotes. I love them and more importantly, so does the wife. I have some control over my A/V equipment with homeseer, but I can't say I would ever want to rely on it (what if Homeseer crashes)... plus it gets old quick to try and get to an app on a phone, and leaving a permanent tablet with HSTouch to control AV was never appealing to me.

Now a best of both worlds is the Harmony Hub, there is a plugin for it to control from Homeseer if you want, but it also has a physical remote control and its own app to control things with.

Comment

Harmony remotes are the way to go. The latest one is by far the best. We have used Harmony for many years. The one we loved got cracked in half by a guest. We replaced it with the last model (One), it always had minor issues. The new Elite works great.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
          My opinion is go with harmony remotes. I love them and more importantly, so does the wife. I have some control over my A/V equipment with homeseer, but I can't say I would ever want to rely on it (what if Homeseer crashes)... plus it gets old quick to try and get to an app on a phone, and leaving a permanent tablet with HSTouch to control AV was never appealing to me.

Now a best of both worlds is the Harmony Hub, there is a plugin for it to control from Homeseer if you want, but it also has a physical remote control and its own app to control things with.
          I agree with harmony and I agree with trying to control AV equipment with an app gets old really fast.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I figured harmony was the way to go, i agree control through app gets old. I made DO buttons because i hate how long hs touch takes to load, and it crashes constantly. As soon as i get my wall tablets set up it may not since it will be dedicated but who knows.

So for the plugin, it will allow hard buttons on the harmony to launch events?

Comment

The thing I like best about my Harmony integration with HomeSeer is the additional control from my Echo. When the 3, 5 and 6 year olds are refusing to turn off the TV and come to dinner, a quick "Alexa, trigger Harmony off" solves the problem and I don't have to go hunting for a remote hidden by the munchkins. I did this via HS3 but of course IFTTT supports Echo to Harmony directly also.
              cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by jgtec View Post
                Thanks for the input! I figured harmony was the way to go, i agree control through app gets old. I made DO buttons because i hate how long hs touch takes to load, and it crashes constantly. As soon as i get my wall tablets set up it may not since it will be dedicated but who knows.

So for the plugin, it will allow hard buttons on the harmony to launch events?
                I am not sure if you can control events from the remote. I haven't tried to do that yet. Maybe post a question within the harmony plugin author.

Comment

Anyone know of the IR strength of the Harmony Hub? I would like it to control a wall mounted TV that is above the AV rack where I would place the hub. There is no line-of-sight, so wondering if the IR is strong enough to bounce off walls.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
                    Anyone know of the IR strength of the Harmony Hub? I would like it to control a wall mounted TV that is above the AV rack where I would place the hub. There is no line-of-sight, so wondering if the IR is strong enough to bounce off walls.
                    I think its pretty good. I have one for my bedroom tv that is mounted on the wall. I put the hub behind it to hide it and it works every time.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                      I think its pretty good. I have one for my bedroom tv that is mounted on the wall. I put the hub behind it to hide it and it works every time.
                      Thanks, sounds like it's worth a try.
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X