Remotely shut down a Mac over network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remotely shut down a Mac over network

So I finally picked up the holy grail of media servers...the prized late 2012 Mac mini (i7). Will be migrating to it and have a question for which I can't find any answer. I have homeseer using psshutdown to kill my wi down server during a power outage and after the ups hits a certain power level and would like to do the same with the Mac. Any ideas?

Also aside rom media server are there any other interesting things I should be doing with this?

You'll need some type of utility to run on your Mac, which listens to a particular port for a particular command, and then responds by shutting it down.

This utility is available on the iPhone, and includes a part that runs on the Mac. I wonder if you could email the developer to see what the command his iPhone app sends to the Mac to cause the Mac part to shut down.

http://ishutdownapp.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
      So I finally picked up the holy grail of media servers...the prized late 2012 Mac mini (i7). Will be migrating to it and have a question for which I can't find any answer. I have homeseer using psshutdown to kill my wi down server during a power outage and after the ups hits a certain power level and would like to do the same with the Mac. Any ideas?
      Aren't Mac's unix under the covers? Setup ssh for remote access and issue the shutdown command.

Grab putty's plink.exe to install on your homeseer pc. Then run something like the following untested command:
      plink.exe mac-ip -l mac-user -pw mac-password "shutdown -h now"
      Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
      Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
      Number of Devices: 633
      Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.54.0: BLBackup
      2.0.40.0: BLLAN
      3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
      30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
      3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
      3.0.0.87: weatherXML
      3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Kideon,

If what Iveatch says is true then chech this video out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfzVByTDsqE

I used this with HomeSeer 2 after creating the icons as shown in the video.

So I would use Launch application: C:\Program Files (x86)\PuTTY\PuTTY.exe -load powerguyshutdown

This worked well on OpenMediaVault.

Eman.
        Last edited by Eman; February 15, 2016, 02:01 PM.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
          Kideon,

If what Iveatch says is true then chech this video out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfzVByTDsqE

I used this with HomeSeer 2 after creating the icons as shown in the video.

So I would use Launch application: C:\Program Files (x86)\PuTTY\PuTTY.exe -load powerguyshutdown

This worked well on OpenMediaVault.

Eman.
          putty is for interactive usage. plink (putty link) is for non-interactive / scripting usage. e.g. plink.exe -load powerguyshutdown should do the same as plink.exe mac-ip -l mac-user -pw mac-password "shutdown -h now".

Setting up password less login via pageant and puttygen as described in the vidoe is better than using passwords in scripts.
          Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
          Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
          Number of Devices: 633
          Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.54.0: BLBackup
          2.0.40.0: BLLAN
          3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
          30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
          3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
          3.0.0.87: weatherXML