email no longer working -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

email no longer working -

I have a few events that trigger an email to be sent to me. Recently it just stop working and getting "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.1.5:25" in the log. I have not change any settings in HS3 or any other setting in my network. What could be causing this.

This can sometimes be caused by an antivirus package blocking access. What happens if you put that uri in your web browser?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You should be able to TELNET into your SMTP server to ensure that the connection can still be made. Also consider that Microsoft may have enabled the Windows firewall as part of patching.

If you're unsure what TELNET is then please respond with what host is your SMTP server. Is it internal to your network or external?

If external, then does your SMTP server use port 25 or another port? This is important. Check to make sure that your firewall does not block that connection.

If internal, make sure that a connection path to your internal SMTP server is available.

I can attest that as of HS3 3.0.0.208 SMTP is working fine. At least from a HomeSeer 3 perspective.
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        This can sometimes be caused by an antivirus package blocking access. What happens if you put that uri in your web browser?
        I am guessing that you misspoke here. SMTP is not a web server which responds to HTTP but rather uses a TELNET type of interface. So, by putting the address in a browser and attempts to connect via http to a SMTP server will produce a 404 type of error because it can't connect.
        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
          You should be able to TELNET into your SMTP server to ensure that the connection can still be made. Also consider that Microsoft may have enabled the Windows firewall as part of patching.

If you're unsure what TELNET is then please respond with what host is your SMTP server. Is it internal to your network or external?

If external, then does your SMTP server use port 25 or another port? This is important. Check to make sure that your firewall does not block that connection.

If internal, make sure that a connection path to your internal SMTP server is available.

I can attest that as of HS3 3.0.0.208 SMTP is working fine. At least from a HomeSeer 3 perspective.
          Don't know what TELNET is. Did a search on it and got connection failed. Not sure if I did it correctly or not.

I i tried disabling the firewall and antivirus but get the same error in the log.

I'm using Gmail for email. This was set up a while ago and get remember exactly how I set it up and can't find any tutorials to make sure it's still set up correctly. However looking at the screen shot below it seems that there are alot of blanks that should perhaps be filled out. Or is it set up correctly.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by freeon View Post
            Don't know what TELNET is. Did a search on it and got connection failed. Not sure if I did it correctly or not.

I i tried disabling the firewall and antivirus but get the same error in the log.

I'm using Gmail for email. This was set up a while ago and get remember exactly how I set it up and can't find any tutorials to make sure it's still set up correctly. However looking at the screen shot below it seems that there are alot of blanks that should perhaps be filled out. Or is it set up correctly.
            Looks like some of your settings got lost. Do you have a backup of your settings.ini file?

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

From your screenshot there are no settings entered for email. Since you're using Gmail, all you need to do is tick the 'Use Gmail' checkbox and enter your username and password.
              Best regards,
              -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
              Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
                From your screenshot there are no settings entered for email. Since you're using Gmail, all you need to do is tick the 'Use Gmail' checkbox and enter your username and password.
                That's what it was. Not sure how the settings got changed as I have not been on that settings page in a long time and it was still working a few weeks ago.

Comment

Email isn't working here with HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208 (Windows) as well.
                  There is no Firewall nor AV software active on the machine.
                  I do use an SMTP server, not GMail.

The settings are virtually identical to those currently working under HS2 on the same machine.
                  Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Works fine here with HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208 Linux.

You can test easy with telnet in Windows if you want.

1 - Exit Homeseer3
                    2 - go to a command line prompt
                    3 - using gmail here as an example
                    4 - type
                    5 - example of smtp

telnet smtp.gmail.com 587
                    Trying 74.125.202.108...
                    Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.
                    Escape character is '^]'.

6 - example of pop
                    telnet pop.gmail.com 587
                    Trying 74.125.202.108...
                    Connected to gmail-pop.l.google.com.
                    Escape character is '^]'.

7 - if both of the above work with HS3 off then I am guessing it is a configuration issues as mentioned above.
                    8 - re-enter all of your email stuff and try again. I do not see my email settings here in the settings.ini file.

For GMail configuration then

1 - check the box to use gmail
                    2 - put in your gmail email address
                    3 - put in your password

Test it. It should be fine. Do a copy and paste of your HS3 log when you are doing this and post it here.
                    Last edited by Pete; February 24, 2016, 03:42 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                    X