Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regular Motion Activated lights - can they interface with an alarm panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular Motion Activated lights - can they interface with an alarm panel?

I have a some outdoor lights old school style with motion detectors hanging off them.
    Does anyone know if I could run my alarm wire to it and have it operate as if the zone was tripped when motion goes off?
    (Already have DSC and Envisilink)
    It seems to me that this may be the easiest and most reliable way for outdoor sensors if it's possible.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
    I have a some outdoor lights old school style with motion detectors hanging off them.
    Does anyone know if I could run my alarm wire to it and have it operate as if the zone was tripped when motion goes off?
    It seems to me that this may be the easiest and most reliable way for outdoor sensors if it's possible.
    Hi Jim,

Might not be the easiest depending on the circuitry inside. There are likely some CEC issues with what you're proposing and you'd void the CSA approval on the fixture. Having said that, it's technically feasible, but you may be space constrained. You'd have to open one up to see how it could be done. One option would be to hook up a small relay so that it would be powered by the same power source as the bulb, and then the relay contacts can trip your alarm system.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

It is possible as Sparkman states, but these lights are not typically reliable. Not sure if you are going to consider them an actual alarm condition, but if so I would keep in mind they are likely designed to trigger more often than not, and you will get a lot of false alarms.

There are many outdoor PIR sensors available to do particularly what you are looking to do, I think those would be your best bet.

I have installed several Optex LX-402 and been very happy with them. You can configure and mask them to exclude areas very tightly. I have hooked them up to my ELK M1 in my current house and a NAPCO panel in my previous house.

I then took my sensor equipped floodlights and removed the sensors, and changed their switches to UPB. Then I have rules in homeseer to trigger the lights as needed, and to light up indicators inside the house on keypanels to indicate motion.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas so far guys! I know it seems that the alarm based PIR's would be more suitable. However, I was hoping that I could use some existing lighting and the motions that I know are already designed for the outdoors.
        May have to take one apart and see if I could do a relay there. It is simply for tracking and lights to come on, so I wouldn't mind if they triggered more often than not as I would have one light just light up one of the other ones on either side of house.
        Last edited by ; February 19, 2016, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
          I don't know if the wind starts blowing or trees start moving mine are not so accurate and has false triggers.

The one for alarms have different technology and usually use more then one sensor at a time to make sure the trip is actual to prevent false alarms.

Comment

If you have cameras to monitor those areas, you can make use of the cameras' motion trigger and reecording to get an idea of the accuracy of those lights.

I was actually thinking of similar thing... To make use of these motion controlled lights (solar powered ones, in my case) to trigger my outside cameras, and hopefully avoid rewiring stuff...
            HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Working...
            X