ZWave or Nest Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZWave or Nest Thermostat

I currently have 2 zwave thermostats in the house. Once I move I will only have one thermostat and have been looking at the zwave and nest thermostats.

Is it worth it to put in a nest thermostat. It looks very cool but can I control it the same as I can control the zwave thermostat in HS3?

I would like to hear some feedback from those who have used both.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Think you can only control it thru cloud...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Don

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
      I currently have 2 zwave thermostats in the house. Once I move I will only have one thermostat and have been looking at the zwave and nest thermostats.

Is it worth it to put in a nest thermostat. It looks very cool but can I control it the same as I can control the zwave thermostat in HS3?

I would like to hear some feedback from those who have used both.

I have never owned a nest so i'm mostly just following along but will also throw in my .2 cents

Nest is made for the people who have no home automation and the nest is the only smart logic available.

Home controller knows alot better when your home and away (geofence , ping and sensors threw the house)

a/c on,off heat on,off and temps can be changed on either and is all you need from a thermostat. I wouldn't buy a nest due to cost with no extra features in my boat. Some have graphing and such z-wave also, but I don't ever use it.

Comment

That's funny as I had a Nest and removed it because I hated the look but that's what makes the world an interesting place. There is a Nest plugin available but as was stated earlier the plugin intercepts the data from the cloud and allows you to control it which is fine if that doesn't bother you. As you know the Z-Wave stats are controlled by HS3. Here's a recent thread on Z-Wave stats and users experiences.
        http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=173031
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies

So it sounds like the nest control is not really direct control with the plugin as you can with the Zwave plugin in HS3.
          Cheers,
          Bob
          Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

I have Nest and am happy with it. I use Spud's plugin and use home/away to trigger events and also use geofencing (PHLocation) to set home/away. I like the clean look and a modern retro dial style control. Probably most important, my wife likes the Nest app to control the thermostat remotely. The HSTouch interface for climate is not a nice as the nest app so that's what we use. Although I've never used any other native zwave thermostat so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Comment

Working...
            X