Power Monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Monitoring

I am looking at the Aeon Labs Aeotec ZW096 Smart Switch 6 GEN5 to monitor energy usage on devices. Has anyone used this? If so, how is it? Does it work with Homeseer? Does Homeseer see the energy usage? Are there other devices that monitor usage on individual outlets better? If so, what do people use?

Thanks.

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
    I am looking at the Aeon Labs Aeotec ZW096 Smart Switch 6 GEN5 to monitor energy usage on devices. Has anyone used this? If so, how is it? Does it work with Homeseer? Does Homeseer see the energy usage? Are there other devices that monitor usage on individual outlets better? If so, what do people use?

Thanks.

I have a couple and they work very well with HS3. I also have some EnerWave ZW15RM outlets that monitor power and a Aeotec DSC06106-ZWUS. The only drawback with the Aeotec ZW096 is that it covers part of the top outlet if you plug it into the bottom outlet. The other way around is fine. Here's a screen-shot of the devices in HS:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1183559

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Hey Al,
      sorry to side track...Did you use Jon utility to group these devices together? And are the blue, green color devices hue lights?
      Tom
      baby steps...starting again with HS3
      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
        Hey Al,
        sorry to side track...Did you use Jon utility to group these devices together? And are the blue, green color devices hue lights?
        Hi Tom, they are all related to that plugin module and HS grouped them automatically. The color controls are to control the led light ring that this module has.

Cheers
        Al

Comment

Ok thanks Al. I mistakenly assumed it was another Aeon device.

Sent from my iPhone
          Tom
          baby steps...starting again with HS3
          HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
          HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
          Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
          In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
          System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Controlling a kettle?

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
              Controlling a kettle?
              No, just monitoring it as an experiment. It lets me know when it's done through Pushover, and we can also kill power to it when we are away (although it does have an auto shutoff). I have a bad habit of turning the kettle on to make a hot drink and then I start doing something else and then an hour later I turn it back on as I still haven't made my drink, and so on. It's also in a visible spot in the kitchen and I plan to use the led ring for notifications.

Cheers
              Al

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                I have a couple and they work very well with HS3. I also have some EnerWave ZW15RM outlets that monitor power and a Aeotec DSC06106-ZWUS. The only drawback with the Aeotec ZW096 is that it covers part of the top outlet if you plug it into the bottom outlet. The other way around is fine. Here's a screen-shot of the devices in HS:

[ATTACH]52499[/ATTACH]

Cheers
                Al
                I just got one of these switches to play with. I noticed in the settings that there is an option to "Enable reporting only if wattage value changes.". Do you know or have you figured out how this works? Does it: Report whenever the value changes -or- report at the assigned schedule only if the value changes?
                Attached Files
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  I just got one of these switches to play with. I noticed in the settings that there is an option to "Enable reporting only if wattage value changes.". Do you know or have you figured out how this works? Does it: Report whenever the value changes -or- report at the assigned schedule only if the value changes?
                  Hi Randy, my understanding is that it's the latter, but haven't really checked yet.

Cheers
                  Al

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                    Hi Randy, my understanding is that it's the latter, but haven't really checked yet.

Cheers
                    Al
                    I'm trying to figure it out. I do know that when it is enabled it instantly reports the peak watts. I'm testing this on a coffee pot and with that box checked it reports 700-900 watts every time the warmer cycles on, but the warmer's true wattage is about 160.

I'm going to have to experiment further, because what this device reports is completely different than what my GEM reports on that circuit.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I'm trying to figure it out. I do know that when it is enabled it instantly reports the peak watts. I'm testing this on a coffee pot and with that box checked it reports 700-900 watts every time the warmer cycles on, but the warmer's true wattage is about 160.

I'm going to have to experiment further, because what this device reports is completely different than what my GEM reports on that circuit.
                      How far off is it? The GEM only measures current, so has to use an assumption for voltage and power factor to determine power usage. However, for a nearly resistive load, it should be relatively close. For other types of loads I would expect a larger difference.

Cheers
                      Al

Comment

If you're talking about the Brultech GEM, then it measures voltage as well as current and gives true RMS readings. It doesn't make assumptions about voltage and power factor and should be pretty accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by billt View Post
                          If you're talking about the Brultech GEM, then it measures voltage as well as current and gives true RMS readings. It doesn't make assumptions about voltage and power factor and should be pretty accurate.
                          Thanks for clarifying, I did not know it had a voltage sensor.

Cheers
                          Al

Comment

Hi Randy, my most recent experiment indicates that it reports immediately on change. I created events to change the led ring to red when the kettle was turned on and green when the kettle was turned off. The reporting interval is set to two minutes, but the led ring changes as soon as the kettle is turned on and off. Here's the settings I have:

Click image for larger version

Name:	aeon.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1183625

Cheers
                            Al

Comment

I noticed the multiple groups on the power strip and motion sensor I have. What is the advantage to sending the different data to the different groups?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X