Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Location naming schemes

Hey guys,
    I would like to see what everyone's naming and location schemes are.

also do you change plugin created schemes to match?

I am OCD and mine is a mess really. But it seems like things break if you mess with it.

So any info and thoughts about this would be awesome.

Please feel free to school me on any aspect of this. I am wanting to know as much as possible.

Thanks

Originally posted by Mwillis View Post
    Hey guys,
    I would like to see what everyone's naming and location schemes are.

also do you change plugin created schemes to match?

I am OCD and mine is a mess really. But it seems like things break if you mess with it.

So any info and thoughts about this would be awesome.

Please feel free to school me on any aspect of this. I am wanting to know as much as possible.

Thanks
    Whatever works best for you.

I use "Functional Group" for Location 2 (default "floor") and "Room Location Subfunction" for Location 1 (default "room").

Functional groups are things like
    • Lighting
    • Power Control
    • Thermostat
    • Temperature
    • Multi-sensor
    • Utility
    • Etc.

Room Location Subfunction are things like
    • Master Bedroom
    • Living Room
    • Cameras
    • Controls
    • Occupancy
    • Randys - iPhone
    • Etc.
    The idea was to group them such that I could create useful filters on either or both locations, with a nod toward HSTouch default project organization.

I keep fine tuning it, but in general it works well.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Whatever works best for you.

I use "Functional Group" for Location 2 (default "floor") and "Room Location Subfunction" for Location 1 (default "room").

Functional groups are things like
      • Lighting
      • Power Control
      • Thermostat
      • Temperature
      • Multi-sensor
      • Utility
      • Etc.

Room Location Subfunction are things like
      • Master Bedroom
      • Living Room
      • Cameras
      • Controls
      • Occupancy
      • Randys - iPhone
      • Etc.

The idea was to group them such that I could create useful filters on either or both locations, with a nod toward HSTouch default project organization.

I keep fine tuning it, but in general it works well.
      would you mind showing a screen shot? Thanks

Comment

would you mind showing a screen shot? Thanks
        The first one is on Functional Group Lighting, the second on Hydronic (heating) and the third is on the room Media Room.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          The first one is on Functional Group Lighting, the second on Hydronic (heating) and the third is on the room Media Room.
          Thank you very much! I do like that approach.

How do you handle plugin created devices? Is it best to leave them alone, or do you make changes?

Comment

How do you handle plugin created devices? Is it best to leave them alone, or do you make changes?
            Depends on the plugin. You would need to check with the plugin programmer to see if they allow you to change the names. I have used some plugins that when I edited the device names and locations it messed up some of the plugins pages.
            Others track by the device refID and allow you to change the name and the locations.
            --
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone
            My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
            Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Jeff answered the question and I agree. I have one plug-in that will break if the locations are changed after the device is created. The rest of my plug-ins don't care.

Comment

Working...
              X