Orphaned Homeseer devices after Z-Troller firmware upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orphaned Homeseer devices after Z-Troller firmware upgrade

After a very long hiatus, I've managed to carve out space to get back into my automation projects. The first on my list was migrating from HS2 to HS3 and it's been a somewhat frustrating process.

I have a network of 65 ZWave devices that were working 99% fine under HS2 using a ZTroller v1.15. I tried several times to get my nodes imported into HS3 successfully. That failed because I kept running into Kwikset locks import issues. I discovered, belatedly, that you can copy the security key from HS2 and it'll just work. Would have appreciated more visibility of that, not buried in a board post!

So, in the absence of that information, exercised the nuclear option. I went to every node in the house to drop the from the network, then erased the ZTroller. Greenfield approach, but also means I can't just revert back to HS2. I'm committed to this thing.

Went around and added my nodes in and most succeeded (including the locks). What's obnoxious, however, is that I have 7 Intermatic HA06 dimmers that refuse to get included. They were successfully removed from the old network, but when I try to add them HS3 freaks out and reboots the ZTroller while displaying this error.
    Error - Add Node Failed reported by controller - you may try again. A "Restart" has been done on your controller.
    Keep in mind that these nodes were all working, successfully, under HS2. And OF COURSE these are in high-WAF areas of the house, so now I'm under the gun to get this working.

So I do some more trolling on the boards and discover there's a newer version of the ZTroller firmware which addresses some issues in adding nodes. Good, worth a shot. I follow the instructions to the letter - making a backup of my ZWave network, successfully completing the upgrade, and then restoring the network from the backup I just took, then optimizing. ZTroller now at v1.17.

And that's where things really went sideways.

Not only can I still not add those Intermatic dimmers, but NOW for some mysterious reason, HS3 has orphaned the devices that were previously created.

The network didn't change.

The node IDs haven't changed.

Homeseer just created new ZWave devices everywhere, with their generic names so I have absolutely no idea of which device is where (attachment).

Obviously this broke all of the events I had set up already, and is seriously damaging my WAF. Nothing like getting yelled at around 2:30a because the lights in the nursery aren't coming on and nerves are shot since the kiddo has been screaming at us for an hour.

I'm now paranoid about going through the effort of setting things up again without knowing what's going on - not real crazy about HS3 wiping out hours of work on me and I don't want a repeat performance.

Any ideas as to what the hell is going on and how to undo/repair it? It seems like this is a primary key issue in the database linking the HS devices to the physical ZWave nodes, but I don't know why this would have happened or how to easily fix it. Help?

PS Me, last night

Attached Files
    Last edited by sacarino; April 19, 2016, 09:20 AM. Reason: Clarity of thought

whisky tango

It seems like this is a primary key issue in the database linking the HS devices to the physical ZWave nodes, but I don't know why this would have happened or how to easily fix it. Help?
    Well, I'm going to guess by the radio silence that I'm the only one who encountered this issue. I always knew I was special!

I don't know how to prevent something like this from happening when you've backed up both the zwave network AND the homeseer database, but the association between the two gets broken and all restoration attempts fail to correct it. I don't quite understand the relationships in the sqllite database to attempt a recovery, so I guess I'll burn another weekend nuking and re-rebuilding homeseer. Hopefully this time it won't eat my homework.

Comment

Working...
    X