Auto Start HS3 on Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Start HS3 on Windows 10

I am newbie. I just got HS3. Dedicated an older PC running Win7 to the job. Installed HS3 never could get HS3 to run on boot. Upgraded to Win10 today. Still can't get HS3 to run automatically on boot. I have put a shortcut to the HS3.exe in the proper startup file. I have changed permissions for all users to have "full control". Still won't run on boot.

I know that this is technically not a Homeseer problem but thought someone in the community might have a fix.

Thanks

One option is to use the free Restart plugin.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Here utilize the R2 Studios Startup Delayer with my Windows 10 Homeseer Touchscreen.

Works great. You can find it here ===> R2 Startup Delayer
      Attached Files
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Saw several others mention UACPass and that it was a no brainer method.
        Been using it for few months without problems.
        Tom
        baby steps...starting again with HS3
        HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
        HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
        Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
        In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
        System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

I already use Eventghost and just have it start Homeseer.

Comment

I'm running Windows 7 so can't check but... can't you just use the Windows 10 task scheduler? In Win 7, you click into the search box and type "taskschd.msc". I assume the same works for Windows 10?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Windows 10 Task scheduler looks like the attached.

It is under accessories or do a search for task scheduler or as Mark mention just run taskschd.msc
              Attached Files
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Windows 10 Task scheduler looks like the attached.

It is under accessories or do a search for task scheduler or as Mark mention just run taskschd.msc
                OK, looks the same. Myself, I just use a shortcut on the startup folder of a HomeTroller, but wouldn't this work too?
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 changed this a bit from Windows 7.

I am doing this with one of two Windows 10 build that is running HSTouch running on an Atom Baytrail. There is more to it than that. There isn't really a startup folder any more.

I am also testing a W7e build for HSTouch 3. It is easier and there is less chatty kathy on it than W8, 8,1 and 10.

Relating to the mothership here running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit with a start up script (upstart) and also running W7 in a VM for those things I cannot run on Linux for the time bean.

Windows 10 desktop, tablet and mobile are all very similar; almost identical and very tablet like today.
                  Last edited by Pete; May 2, 2016, 02:45 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Many Thanks for the responses

First, I removed the shortcuts created from the "Startup" folder. Then I went to Task Scheduler (in Win10 it is under "Windows Administration Tools") and I created a task to start HS3 and Speaker on startup. Configured it to run for all users and at the highest privileges. Then I restarted twice. Both times it started, opening a browser to the device utility page. Checked "Task Manager" and found Speaker, HS3, Z-Wave, and all Plugins running.

So thanks there is a "Native" windows option to make this work.

In task scheduler you have the option to start a program with command line switches. Are there any for HS3 or Speaker?

I ran into one other problem which I have solved but just wondered about. When I installed on Win7 and I started up HS3 it started with no error messages. After upgrading to Win10 when I started HS3 I got an error about not being able to start the web server as the port was not available. The error suggested changing the port number for HS3. I did and it now starts fine. Any clue as to why the default Port 80 worked in Win7 but not Win10?

Again Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by cfrudolphy View Post

Any clue as to why the default Port 80 worked in Win7 but not Win10?

If I recall, I think Windows IIS is configured by default in Win 10 and that uses port 80. Try disabling that. However, it seems to be better practice to use a non-standard port anyway in a much higher range.
                      cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cfrudolphy View Post
                        First, I removed the shortcuts created from the "Startup" folder. Then I went to Task Scheduler (in Win10 it is under "Windows Administration Tools") and I created a task to start HS3 and Speaker on startup. Configured it to run for all users and at the highest privileges. Then I restarted twice. Both times it started, opening a browser to the device utility page. Checked "Task Manager" and found Speaker, HS3, Z-Wave, and all Plugins running.

So thanks there is a "Native" windows option to make this work.

In task scheduler you have the option to start a program with command line switches. Are there any for HS3 or Speaker?

I ran into one other problem which I have solved but just wondered about. When I installed on Win7 and I started up HS3 it started with no error messages. After upgrading to Win10 when I started HS3 I got an error about not being able to start the web server as the port was not available. The error suggested changing the port number for HS3. I did and it now starts fine. Any clue as to why the default Port 80 worked in Win7 but not Win10?

Again Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

Chuck
                        On windows 10, the service World Wide Web Publishing Service is frequently enabled, even though IIS is not installed. Just stop the service and port 80 should be open. It seems that when you do a fresh install of Windows 10 or a fresh install of an earlier version with an immediate upgrade to Win 10, the WWW Publishing service is enabled.

The speaker client is enabled or disabled with the third checkbox on the general tab of settings under "Other Settings"
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Again Thanks

I am glad for the explanation on the Port and Win10 Enabling a WWW service on Port 80. I did change to much higher port. I checked Wikipedia for known or assigned ports and picked one their article showed wasn't used. As I said earlier it is running fine so will leave it set to the port I picked and leave the web service running as configured.

Chuck

Comment

Chuck -

I tried your solution on Windows 10 with no success. Can you post screen shots or maybe more detailed settings so I can see what I might be missing?

Mark
                            Mark

Comment

Still Having issues

I am sorry I haven't been back to this post. But I am still having issues. So to recap:

1.) I want HS3 to start on boot.
                              2.) I put a shortcut in the startup folder for HS3 changed permissions on the file to run by anyone.
                              3.) Re-boot computer and no HS3 or Speaker Client.
                              4.) Remove shortcut from Startup folder.
                              5.) setup a task to start right after startup for HS3.
                              6.) Re-boot the computer HS3 and speaker client startup.
                              7.) While it is running I look at the log and find an error " Compiling script Startup.vb: could not find library 'Scheduler.dll' ". The system seemed to run fine until I tried to add a new graphic to the "status graphics" tab of a device. There were no graphics in the file chooser popup.
                              8.) I disabled the task and re-started the computer and started HS3 from the desktop shortcut. Once I restarted everything I checked the log and no error message. I tried to add the graphic and was able to just fine.

So I don't recommend starting it with a task setup in task scheduler.

Anyone have some thoughts on why this doesn't work?

Thanks

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X