Any ideas on exposing IO of Raspberry Pi to HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas on exposing IO of Raspberry Pi to HS3

I will be running HS3 on an SEL controller. Some devices I will be monitoring and/or controlling will be connected to Arduinos (Nano and Mega) and exposed to HS3 via Ethernet and discovered using the Arduino plug-in.

I want to do the same thing with Raspberry Pi. NOT run HS3 on a Pi - just expose some IO from the Pi to HS (preferably via Ethernet).

I haven't found a supported Raspberry Pi plug-in for HS3.

The Pi I'd use will have a CAN BUS shield on it as well. I want to expose some of the CAN BUS data to HS3.

My use case is in an RV.
    Last edited by jbeletti; May 5, 2016, 03:59 PM.

Not sure if this is what you are thinking about, but what I have going on.

I use a Pi to gather info from my heater (intercepts the wifi from the thermostat, long story). It creates an XML file that I parse to update virtual devices in HS with.

I also use it to control the heater by sending it Rest Commands. It's not as clean as I would like (and I am no programmer by any means), but it gets the job done.

So I guess if you can get what you want into a text file of some sort that is hosted on the Pi, the rest should be pretty easy.

Comment

There are some Mono libraries to use the Pi GPIO and I was going to see if I could get a plugin going to talk to these libraries, time and lack of any need meant I never pursued it, should be theoretically possible though.

The JSON interface for HS means that you can also write applications in Python and just talk to HS that way, I posted some code to do simple digital inputs from the Pi to update a device in HS - should be around somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jbeletti View Post
        I will be running HS3 on an SEL controller. Some devices I will be monitoring and/or controlling will be connected to Arduinos (Nano and Mega) and exposed to HS3 via Ethernet and discovered using the Arduino plug-in.

I want to do the same thing with Raspberry Pi. NOT run HS3 on a Pi - just expose some IO from the Pi to HS (preferably via Ethernet).

I haven't found a supported Raspberry Pi plug-in for HS3.

The Pi I'd use will have a CAN BUS shield on it as well. I want to expose some of the CAN BUS data to HS3.

My use case is in an RV.
        I'm very interested in your project.
        Are you grabbing OBD data and updating HS?
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          I'm very interested in your project.
          Are you grabbing OBD data and updating HS?
          No OBD. It's a 5th wheel RV, so no CAN BUS in it now. Some RV items are using an RV variant of CAN called RV-C.

One item I'm putting in (tank level sensor/senders) has an RV-C output. I'll be using that sensor with a CAN module and an Arduino Nano to monitor the status of my fresh water and gray water tanks and based on those states, control (force on or off) my RO (reverse osmosis) water system.

So with the above use case, if I can, I may add an Ethernet shield to the Nano to expose the data to HS3. If I can't add and Ethernet shield and the CAN module, then I want to go the route captioned in this thread title.

I can use an RPi with a CAN shield to communicate with the Arduino (via CAN) that has the fresh water tank sensor connect to it via CAN. But to expose the tank levels to HS3, I need to connect the RPi to my HT-SEL-PRO.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
            Not sure if this is what you are thinking about, but what I have going on.

I use a Pi to gather info from my heater (intercepts the wifi from the thermostat, long story). It creates an XML file that I parse to update virtual devices in HS with.

I also use it to control the heater by sending it Rest Commands. It's not as clean as I would like (and I am no programmer by any means), but it gets the job done.

So I guess if you can get what you want into a text file of some sort that is hosted on the Pi, the rest should be pretty easy.
            How are you interfacing the Pi to your HS box?

Comment

This would open up a lot of potential. Well worth working on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did this ever get finished? I'm looking todo something very similar ?

Comment

I want to do the exact same thing. I assume you're using the See-Level tank gauges. Did you get it working?

Comment

This GitHub free project here will get your GPIOs into REST format

https://github.com/projectweekend/Pi-GPIO-Server

Big5 plug-in for HomeSeer is REST compatible and will bring your GPIOs to HS3.

While this is a two step approach it is solid as it takes it to the solid foundation of well established protocol like REST and relies on well tested and reliably working HS3 plug-in Big5.

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

There is also the RaspberryIO plugin: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/an...yio-user-guide

Comment

Working...
                        X