Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New To Home Automation and Need Advice

Hello,

As the title states, I am new to home automation and need some advice. I've always been intrigued by home automation ever since my friend showed me his setup in the early 2000s, (x10 I believe). However, with the frequent moves due to my job, I've never had the opportunity or time to implement one of my own. I just purchased my first home and will take this opportunity to try things out.

I started researching the plug and play options, and have considered Smartthings, VeraPlus, Wink, and WeMo products. I've read about the pluses and minuses of each through hours of research. Many of the comments always come back to HomeSeer. The biggest detractor is the price, but with the black Friday sale, its a little more palatable.

I'm looking to do some basic remote control of lights, outlets, door locks, garage to begin. My house has an existing security system, and want to look to integrate that as well. Beyond that, I am a tinkerer and can definitely see expanding but don't know all of the possibilities.

I *think* I want to go the software route, and am leaning towards the HS3PRO. I may as well take the plunge up front, because by the time you start adding plugins and considering future expansion to my own system, this month's sale makes it a steal!

I have two questions. First should I go with Linux or Windows? Its been a few years since I've used pure Linux and do not own a Windows machine. I set up a quick demo on my Macbook via Virtualbox and Ubuntu in about 30 minutes and didn't have any issues. Is everything pretty much configured in the web interface after initial installation? From what I've read, Windows may be a little easier for the average user, but Linux is more stable. Also, am I correct in that the HSTouch Designer only works in Windows?

Second, I could use some advice on hardware to run the system on. I'm looking for a low-power consumption device that is relatively cheap (around $150). I would like to use it for my HS3 server and perhaps an HDHomerun back end. Options I have considered are:
    • Raspberry Pi 3 - I think it can run HS3 Pro no problem?

Will this hardware be sufficient to power HS3 and provide stability? Or, would i be better of just going the ZEE3 route and skipping the software all together?

My wife gives me a hard time for "over-researching" and I am probably at information overload at this point. Any advice or guidance you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stain

I used the hometroller for a few years but when I upgraded to HS3 last year I bought a new low power PC. It is discontinued now but there are newer variants. They do go on sale from time to time but it works fine and has been bulletproof. I upgraded to 4 g ram. I think HS will work on just about any low powered pc. No experience with nonwintel systems.

http://www.amazon.com/Discontinued-H.../dp/B00R7R1GWK

Comment

Welcome to the Homeseer forum Stain.

Here was using Wintel server for Homeseer 2. Homeseer 3 doesn't have a console GUI and is totally managed by the web interface.

I have migrated to Linux and currently utilizing a RPi2 / Zee-2 configuration and an Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit box for Homeseer 3 Pro. (Haswell i-Series chipset with 16Gb of memory).

I purchased Homeseer on the RPi as soon as it was available. It was the first documented automation software running on the RPi. I did test it on my other Linux boxes at the time and it worked fine.

There are more available HS plugins for Wintel than there are for Linux. That said Homeseer runs in Mono / Linux and they all should work file whichever OS you are using and typically it is a bit of minor tweaking to the plugin to get it to work in Linux.

It is difficult to know and suggest stuff as you may want to keep your automation simple or you may want to automate everything.

It is up to you. You can run Homeseer on all of the aforementioned boxes. Many Homeseer users have gone to the VM route and run Homeseer in Linux or Wintel VM's. Gone are the VM days of hardware (USB/Serial) incompatibilities.

Today run Homeseer designer on a virtual Wintel server and touchscreen clients on Wintel.

Homeseer software will provide the most up to date flexibility where as firmware based automation is a bit slower to update.

I am going baby steps still here with my Homeseer 3 boxes.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Welcome.

The answer to your overall question, as others have noted, depends to a great extent on what you ultimately decide to do with HA. If you keep it simple, then almost any option is open. On the other hand, if you get bit by the HA 'bug' like some of us, the urge to add just one more plug-in and one more technological platform will see you cobbling together a monster that can take over even a strong computer - and all your (previously) available free time.

If you are at a point where deciding how far you want to go with HA is difficult, then it makes sense to leave your options open. I'd only recommend opting for a limited version of HS if you are firmly convinced that is all you will want or need in the future.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I tend to agree with Uncle Michael. The Zee is great because it's low power but it is limited to only 5 plugins and only Linux plugins. Not all of the plugins are available on Linux, but most of them are. As for other hardware, you should be able to use most if not all of the low power systems out there.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Welcome! Your research has been time well spent!
            As unclemike says if you don't know how far you'll go leave your options open. Based on your post I'd go hs3 software + cheap low power windows machine + Windows version . There are even used machines you can get on eBay with Windows 7 for about $100-120, which you can upgrade for free to Windows 10. I've thought about Linux off and on for the last few years but not all plugin are available on Linux yet, more info out there on Windows and a bit easier to use because so many folks here use it. I bought a mini pc from this seller ( below) several years ago, installed xp and HS(in my signature-second home). I paid about $250 back then but they have better pcs now for about $150. For my new primary home I picked up a used mini pc ($100) I saw on eBay and installed win 10. I could have installed xp as it's very stable but I thought I'd take up the free win 7 to win 10 upgrade going on.
            http://stores.ebay.com/MITXPC/Quiet-...=p4634.c0.m322

Sent from my iPhone
            Tom
            baby steps...starting again with HS3
            HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
            HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
            Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
            In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
            System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

I think personally I would always go with something that can run Windows as well as Linux (so no Pi) so if you did decide Linux then you could most probably (I think the transfers of configs has been sorted) move to Windows without too much trouble. As said some plugins are Windows only, some are Windows and Linux, some may work on both but are untested on Linux - I don't think there are any Linux only plugins though. I have learned that for the handful of plugins I have written supporting both OS's is not always a trivial task.

What I would imagine you don't want is for some new plugin to come out that only supports Windows and then you are left fed up running Linux and cannot take advantage of it, this may never happen but you never know.

HSTouch Designer does not have to run on the same PC as the server so you always have the option to run a Linux server and perhaps some type of VM to design your screens that you just close when you finished with them.

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. I think a Windows install may be the way to go. I have an Amazon Echo, and it looks like the plug-in only works on the Windows version.

However, after even more research, another concern that I have is cost. At first, I thought it was just initial cost of purchasing the Pro version plus hardware. A little steep compared to other, but I could probably "invest" up front. However, I didn't realize that the 3rd-party plugins were NOT included. Plus, it looks like many of the cheaper light bulbs (Cree, GE Link) are not supported without an additional 3rd-party plugin and hub.

I've seen discussion of ZigBee potentially being supported, but no timeline. Will there be a usb type solution like z-wave in the future? If not, is it possible to us another multi-standard hub (wink or smartthings) as a dumb device to pass signals?

Comment

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, other than homeseer is the best choice right now.

One thing to keep in mind. The Pro software gets you the core product, designer and all the HS plugins that they create. It does not cover the 3rd party ones that you still pay full price for. My experience, I don't have any HS issued plugins that don't already come with the core product (zwave and hstouch server). All the rest I had to purchase anyways.

I bought last year during the same sale and did the standard and bought designer separately. Don't regret the decision.

Edit: looks like you already figured that out. Yea the cost of the plugins is high, but they are worth it. Factor in the cost of what you need now and buy later for things you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Stain View Post
                    . . . another concern that I have is cost. At first, I thought it was just initial cost of purchasing the Pro version plus hardware. . . . I didn't realize that the 3rd-party plugins were NOT included. Plus, it looks like many of the cheaper light bulbs (Cree, GE Link) are not supported without an additional 3rd-party plugin and hub.
                    HA is not a cheap hobby. Worse, the whole field is in flux, so expect products to come and go, and technologies that look like the future to suddenly become artifacts of the past. VR, for example, is in its infancy. Who knows what standard practice will be in 10 or even 5 years, but it will likely be very different from what is going on now.

Probably the single biggest advantage that Homeseer has - besides the fact that it actually works - is that it is inherently and uniquely capable of adjusting to the changing landscape. Most of the other products available today are more sizzle than steak, with little depth and very limited adaptive capacity. They do a few things with flash, but have virtually no capacity to integrate with other systems.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Welcome to the board! I started out with HSPRO on a HomeTroller, which ran great for 5 years. In the process of upgrading from HS2 to HS3 and because I wanted a backup for the HomeTroller, I purchased 2 Tangent Mini PC's used from eBay (e.g., http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tangent-Rugg...AAAOSwBLlU9iv2). One box is running HS2 Pro and the other is running HS3 Pro simultaneously as I slowly migrate from HS2 to HS3. Each was upgraded to Windows 10 and has been running quite stably for over 6 months now. So, you can get pretty cheap hardware for your setup.

Elliott
                      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                      "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

..However, after even more research, another concern that I have is cost. At first, I thought it was just initial cost of purchasing the Pro version plus hardware. A little steep compared to other, but I could probably "invest" up front. However, I didn't realize that the 3rd-party plugins were NOT included. Plus, it looks like many of the cheaper light bulbs (Cree, GE Link) are not supported without an additional 3rd-party plugin and hub.

I've seen discussion of ZigBee potentially being supported, but no timeline. Will there be a usb type solution like z-wave in the future? If not, is it possible to us another multi-standard hub (wink or smartthings) as a dumb device to pass signals?
                        Whilst third party plugins are an additional cost if you do your research you may find free alternatives out there, some plugins also that are free are not in the updater and there are hundreds of scripts knocking around the forum. I don't run one third party plugin that cost any money (and that is not intentional) but I appreciate my setup may not be as large as some.

It may be possible to use one of these hubs with something like IFTTT between HS and those devices but there may be a delay with this. In terms of Zigbee I think there was some movement on a HS plugin but don't know the current status of it.

Comment

I think a Windows install may be the way to go. I have an Amazon Echo, and it looks like the plug-in only works on the Windows version.

However, after even more research, another concern that I have is cost. At first, I thought it was just initial cost of purchasing the Pro version plus hardware.
                          Actually, the HS software and hardware to run it are probably the least expensive components for a HA system. I bought the HomeTroller SELPRO for $600 on sale running Linux, which BTW works just fine with the Echo skill and API. Of course, you can probably find cheaper hardware, but the HomeTroller works out of the box - no installing, very little setup. All of the necessary plugins are included in the PRO version. Since then, I've added a Z-NET and many hundred $$s worth of Z-wave components, but this can be done gradually and to the extent that you want to automate. Right now, with the Echo, I have full voice control over just about everything in my house, including lights, thermostat, door locks, and TV ("Alexa, turn on the TV", "Change to channel 10", etc. - eat your heart out Xfinity ).

Good luck with your system.

Comment

Hosting hardware recommendations please

Originally posted by will.i.am View Post
                            Actually, the HS software and hardware to run it are probably the least expensive components for a HA system. I bought the HomeTroller SELPRO for $600 on sale running Linux, which BTW works just fine with the Echo skill and API. Of course, you can probably find cheaper hardware, but the HomeTroller works out of the box - no installing, very little setup. All of the necessary plugins are included in the PRO version. Since then, I've added a Z-NET and many hundred $$s worth of Z-wave components, but this can be done gradually and to the extent that you want to automate. Right now, with the Echo, I have full voice control over just about everything in my house, including lights, thermostat, door locks, and TV ("Alexa, turn on the TV", "Change to channel 10", etc. - eat your heart out Xfinity ).

Good luck with your system.

Comment

Working...
                            X